BBC Two HD to launch on March 26

A high-definition simulcast of BBC Two will start transmission on Tuesday 26 March at 6am.

BBC Two HD will replace the current BBC HD channel, which broadcasts high-definition shows from across the BBC, as part of the Delivering Quality First plans.

BBC Two controller Janice Hadlow said the new channel would “showcase more of our programmes at their very best – helping to highlight our commitment to high quality, engaging and ambitious programmes on BBC Two”.

Programmes such as Paul Hollywood – Bread, Science Britannica and upcoming drama The Fall will now be available in high-definition for the first time.

BBC Two HD will be free on all digital television platforms offering HD channels including: Sky HD (169); Freeview HD/YouView (102); Virgin Media (187); Freesat HD (109); and BT Vision (852).

BBC HD was the UK’s first free-to-air high definition channel when it started airing in December 2007.

BBC One HD launched in November 2010 with variants for Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales starting in the last six months.

This post originated from BBC’s Ariel site.

84 thoughts on “BBC Two HD to launch on March 26”

  1. @40. Sadly, the last series of Only Connect was BBC4 (thus SD) only. All previous series had been simulcast on BBC HD but not that one – and no time-shifted version (that I could find). Shame because it looked stunning in HD.

  2. If Channel 5 doe’s not take up the spare HD slot then allow the BBC to launch an upgraded version of BBC HD. Its main source of programes would come from BBC 3 +BBC 4, plus the odd series from abroad.

    Can anyone confirm if there are any spare multiflex in FREEVIEW..

  3. Apparently the Review Show, that used to come on after Newsnight on a Friday is moving over to BBC Four only. So there’s another programme that won’t get an HD broadcast.

  4. With ESPN selling their channels to BT GROUP, and if the BBC launche’s an upgraded version of BBC HD. The new channel would carry HD programes from BBC3, BBC4, ESPN(BT GROUP) plus any other productions.

  5. New fta service for anyone interested in these things – Sky News Arabia. Transmitting in Arabic, but its got plenty of bandwidth and its a decent picture.

    10876V 22000 5/6 for anyone who wants a look.

  6. Rosco said: New fta service for anyone interested in these things – Sky News Arabia. Transmitting in Arabic, but its got plenty of bandwidth and its a decent picture.

    Hasn’t the BBC got an arabic news channel for the middle east?

  7. Although it’s branded as ‘Sky News Arabia’ it’s actually only 50% joint owned by them so not fully controlled by the Murdoch elite! Interesting it’s FTA too although unless you speak fluent Arabic you won’t understand it!

  8. Can’t see the need for comedy in HD the jokes are just as funny in SD/HD and on radio, the same goes for the news just as miserable. jolly, informative on SD/HD and the radio. Save HD for what it is best for i.e. Nature Programing, Drama and Sport. Remember HD is free on Freesat so be glad of that and stop moaning please. I do though notice it’s the usual suspects that do all the moaning???????????

  9. Richard Crichton said:
    Moan still no Demand 5 and 4OD on Freetime.

    It seems to be taking a long time to sort, not doing the freetime branding much good with these delays.

  10. Richard Crichton said: Moan still no Demand 5 and 4OD on Freetime.

    Richard I asked a question on here when Freetime was launched, it was based on Demand 5 not allowing certain programes to be seen after their broadcast time and would this apply to Freetime as this would negate the advantage to me if I missed a certain program that was prevented to be aired on Demand 5 being also not shown on Freetime. Do you have an answer to this?

  11. I live in Spain and have just bought a second freesat box, however it will not except
    my uk post code is there any way round this problem, the first box works fine.
    I await your comment.

  12. Check to see if you are putting the post code in correctly, some applicationd need a gap in the post code some do not. I have a friend who seems to be having the same problem and I will see later this week end so will be interested in any follow up to this. Problem is a lot of people on this site resent us using Freesat!!!!!!!!!

  13. According to sources, Lord Sugar “kicked off”, telling Mr Desmond: “You don’t know who I am.”

    …wish we didn’t!!!

  14. Wow… Mr Desmond isn’t to be messed with! if only he’d stand up to Rupert in the way he stood up to Alan Sugar… maybe he wants to one day buy The Sun from NI once Rupert finally retires.

  15. I wonder if there is a connection between the (so far) non appearance of 4OD and Demand 5 on Freetime and the fact that both TV companies are YouView stakeholders while they have no stake in Freesat.

  16. Richard Crichton said:
    I wonder if there is a connection between the (so far) non appearance of 4OD and Demand 5 on Freetime and the fact that both TV companies are YouView stakeholders while they have no stake in Freesat.

    It’s an interesting one but as PSB’s then they have a moral obligation to make their on-demand services across all platforms in Ofcom’s eyes from a long-term perspective. Once all platforms have on-demand as standard add-on then I guess Ofcom would be asking questions of C4 and C5 as to why they aren’t on Freesat, especially when enables these services for the first time.

    I wonder if we’ll see them make an appearance by the end of this Month perhaps?

  17. Neil said: Richard Crichton said:
    I wonder if there is a connection between the (so far) non appearance of 4OD and Demand 5 on Freetime and the fact that both TV companies are YouView stakeholders while they have no stake in Freesat.

    It’s an interesting one but as PSB’s then they have a moral obligation to make their on-demand services across all platforms in Ofcom’s eyes from a long-term perspective. Once all platforms have on-demand as standard add-on then I guess Ofcom would be asking questions of C4 and C5 as to why they aren’t on Freesat, especially when enables these services for the first time.
    I wonder if we’ll see them make an appearance by the end of this Month perhaps?

    Doe’s this mean that UKTV will have to move onto FREESAT due to the BBC owning 50% of the package?

  18. alexander said: Doe’s this mean that UKTV will have to move onto FREESAT due to the BBC owning 50% of the package?

    The thing with UKTV is they don’t have PSB status in Ofcom’s eyes. Likewise the sister channels of ITV, C4 and C5 don’t either. It’ only all BBC services plus ITV, C4 and C5 (in SD) that come under this category.

  19. Neil said:
    Looks like the freesat awards entries for 2013 are open again admin:
    http://www.freesat.co.uk/awards

    Yep, received the information this morning but don’t think I’ll promote this year, as it doesn’t allow customers to vote, just allows broadcasters to enter for the shortlist. I’ll post up when customers are able to vote for the specific categories. I find the posts that don’t allow anyone to vote just frustrate!

  20. I see on dig spy that someone ITK says Travel Channel is coming to Freesat this month. Have you heard anything Admin?

  21. barrie said:
    I see on dig spy that someone ITK says Travel Channel is coming to Freesat this month. Have you heard anything Admin?

    Just read that, lets wait and see if it’s true! I have a sneaky feeling FS have left EPG slots 405 and 406 vacant for Travel Channel when they did their recent reshuffle. 402 was also left vacant and, as I suspected, we know will soon be occupied by Showcase 2.

  22. barrie said:
    I see on dig spy that someone ITK says Travel Channel is coming to Freesat this month. Have you heard anything Admin?

    I’m waiting for a response from freesat as I don’t know who the member on digitalspy is to confirm if they are a reliable source or not.

  23. admin said: I’m waiting for a response from freesat as I don’t know who the member on digitalspy is to confirm if they are a reliable source or not.

    They may deny knowledge until the official press release but will be interesting. This is another of my watched ‘non freesat’ channels so will be great to finally have it on-board.

  24. hi we live in Malta and use free sat can you please tell me why i keep having signal break up when its windy or spitting with rain, also why i cannot recieve any channel to do with channel 5.
    thank you

  25. Hi Mike ,
    It could be to do with frequency and satellite beam changes . I’m sure not so long ago a lot of the frequencies changed over to tighter beams , basically so it would be harder for people outside the uk to pick up content. This would explain why your signal keeps cutting out. I think a bigger dish will be needed to sort your problem out. More tecky guys will no doubt tell you more.

    Regards
    Tony

  26. mike said: hi we live in Malta and use free sat can you please tell me why i keep having signal break up when its windy or spitting with rain, also why i cannot recieve any channel to do with channel 5.thank you

    Because you live outside the UK footprint contour of the satellites which transmit the service. Channel 5 is now on Astra 2F with a super-tight UK spotbeam, currently the BBC, ITV and C4 are still on Astra 1N which has a slightly wider footprint, this will change though at the end of the summer when Astra 2E takes over and if you can’t get C5 now then you’ll loose all the others too.

  27. strangequarks said:
    Shame on you BBC, what a disaster your HD service is.You found space for nations variants of BBC1 HD which hardly anyone wants then discontinue all HD broadcasts for BBC3 & BBC4.As always YOU alone know best & to hell with what we the viewers want to see – the BBC Trust is a farce.Why do you insist on hobbling your HD service to satellite in the name of the awful platform neutrality?The viewers pay for the license so why do you NEVER listen to us?

    What he said, there are some wonderful HD programming from BBC3 and BBC4 and to lose this is a disgrace

Comments are closed.