The stars of British broadcasting were recognised at a VIP gathering in London’s West End last night, as the winners of the 2012 Freesat Awards were announced – with Ant and Dec, CBeebies, Channel 4’s Educating Essex and 5USA among them.
A panel of media industry judges, chaired by journalist Neil Midgley, deliberated on the very best channels and programmes available on Freesat. Now in their fourth successful year, the Freesat Awards showcase the breadth of choice and quality of programming on offer on the subscription-free satellite TV service.
Actor and stand-up comedian Greg Davies, best known for his role as Mr. Gilbert in The Inbetweeners and his appearances on Mock the Week, hosted the event for a 250-strong VIP audience in London and announced the 2012 winners:
– Best Live TV Programme: This Morning (ITV1)
– Best Children’s TV Programme: Andy’s Wild Adventures (CBeebies)
– Best Niche TV Channel: QVC
– Best Digital Radio Channel: BBC Radio 1Xtra
– Best News Channel: BBC Radio 5 Live
– Audience Vote: Entertainment Show of the Year: Sherlock (BBC One)
– Best Digital Initiative: The Million Pound Drop (Channel 4)
– Breakout Channel of the Year: 5USA
– Best New TV Series: Educating Essex (Channel 4)
– Best TV Presenter: Ant & Dec
– Freesat Channel of the Year: CBeebies
Freesat Managing Director, Emma Scott said:
It’s been a truly outstanding year for British television and radio, and it is a real privilege to be able to recognise and celebrate the personalities, programmes and channels that Freesat viewers really love, including my personal favourite, Mr Drew on Educating Essex.
Neil Midgley, chair of this year’s judging panel commented:
The fact that Ant & Dec can be Freesat Award winners alongside Radio 5 Live, CBeebies, This Morning and The Million Pound Drop shows just how strong Freesat’s content is. It’s been such a pleasure to chair an awards process which focuses on the people and shows that viewers really love, and I’d like to join Emma in congratulating everyone who’s won an award. I’d also like to thank my fellow judges, who put so much time and expertise into choosing these worthy winners.
The Freesat Awards Ceremony was sponsored by Arqiva, Humax, Sagemcom and Samsung.