Freesat continues 2015 momentum adding 25,000 new homes this year

Freesat, the subscription free satellite TV service, has maintained its 2015 momentum by adding 6,000 new TV homes in the three months to the end of September. In total, 25,000 new households have taken up the service to date in 2015. Freesat continues to be the preferred TV service for 1.9 million households and watched by more than four million viewers each week.

Growth of Freesat’s award-winning Freetime service has also remained strong with 60 percent year-on-year growth. Consumers are seeing great value in Freetime features; remote record requests via the app and the website have grown by 20 percent in the last six months alone. Support for Freetime will continue through the peak consumer electronics sales period to December, with Freesat promoting the connected service across TV, print and digital.

Freesat’s content offering of more than 200 channels remains strong with six new additions joining the service in the last quarter. The additions of documentary channel PBS America and Fox UK’s YourTV mark a significant new trend for the market, with traditional Pay TV networks launching channels on free-to-air for the first time.

Commenting on the news, Alistair Thom, Managing Director of Freesat, said:

It’s been another busy quarter for Freesat and we’re pleased that six new channels see the value in joining the platform. The launch of Fox’s Your TV and PBS America on free-to-air for the first time only reinforces the strength of free TV in the UK, proving that you don’t need a pay TV subscription to enjoy great telly.

69 thoughts on “Freesat continues 2015 momentum adding 25,000 new homes this year”

  1. I’m sure everyone’s heard about SkyQ by now, e.g. http://www.trustedreviews.com/sky-q-review. Quote from that: “2015 has been a great year for TV fans, with key players, including BT, Amazon and even Nvidia, launching 4K-ready smart streaming boxes and services. In this race, Sky has fallen slightly behind its competitors. Sky Q is the British broadcasting giant’s attempt to re-establish its dominance and create “the ultimate home entertainment smart system”.

    So even Sky has been falling behind in TV technology. Now it’s caught up. The top model SkyQ has a 12-tuner PVR and multiroom clients. I’ve been saying for a long time (years) that this is the way forward and Freesat should look at this, now they’ve missed the boat again! Freesat was created so that people without terrestrial reception can still receive TV without subscribing to Sky, but it seems this means it can only provide technology that is about 5 years behind the rest. Oh well, looking forward to central mulit-tuner PVR and network clients from Freesat in 2020. Humax does have a multiroom product in the rest of Europe, but Freesat haven’t yet taken it on.

    I know Freesat isn’t meant to be a competitor etc etc, but to be honest this thread about Freesat have 25,000 more sales in a year is less than impressive and if they want to/need to stay afloat they really need to do something to attract people. You never hear of them, the product range is diminishing and nothing innovative introduced since the original launch in 2008. (You might argue Freetime is a pioneering feature, unfortunately it’s not available to people like myself whose broadband is poor, and the Freesat apps require new iOS devices to be bought – there are some of us who’ve got older devices and Freesat decided to only provide their apps on newer devices). How many staff do they have and what do they actually do?

  2. Chris S. said:
    I’m sure everyone’s heard about SkyQ by now, e.g. http://www.trustedreviews.com/sky-q-review.Quote from that: “2015 has been a great year for TV fans, with key players, including BT, Amazon and even Nvidia, launching 4K-ready smart streaming boxes and services. In this race, Sky has fallen slightly behind its competitors. Sky Q is the British broadcasting giant’s attempt to re-establish its dominance and create “the ultimate home entertainment smart system”.
    So even Sky has been falling behind in TV technology. Now it’s caught up. The top model SkyQ has a 12-tuner PVR and multiroom clients. I’ve been saying for a long time (years) that this is the way forward and Freesat should look at this, now they’ve missed the boat again! Freesat was created so that people without terrestrial reception can still receive TV without subscribing to Sky, but it seems this means it can only provide technology that is about 5 years behind the rest.Oh well, looking forward to central mulit-tuner PVR and network clients from Freesat in 2020. Humax does have a multiroom product in the rest of Europe, but Freesat haven’t yet taken it on.
    I know Freesat isn’t meant to be a competitor etc etc, but to be honest this thread about Freesat have 25,000 more sales in a year is less than impressive and if they want to/need to stay afloat they really need to do something to attract people. You never hear of them, the product range is diminishing and nothing innovative introduced since the original launch in 2008.(You might argue Freetime is a pioneering feature, unfortunately it’s not available to people like myself whose broadband is poor, and the Freesat apps require new iOS devices to be bought – there are some of us who’ve got older devices and Freesat decided to only provide their apps on newer devices). How many staff do they have and what do they actually do?

    No I haven’t heard of it actually. I find there’s nothing much on telly worth watching these days let alone recording 12 channels at once. Great year for tv yeah right.

  3. Actually Amazon Instant Video is on a lot of devices now(!) and you can pay monthly for just the streaming service. Tbc “Amazon Prime” is the incluvise content for Prime members, Amazon instant video is the name of the app, which also gives access to paid tv content purchased via the website.

  4. RichardC said:
    Why Sky Q is meaningless to the Netflix generation.
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/sky-q-vs-netflix
    As it says fine if you already have Sky and are prepared to pay big to watch tv.

    Interesting article. Whilst I’m sure Sky Q will get it’s early adopters, it will take time before its widely accepted, presumably when the STB’s are given away free, a good few years off.

    One archaic thing about Pay TV in the modern age is Sky’s insistence on the “a-la-carte” model, something you don’t get with Netflix or any other pay streaming services as your getting just what you paid for (not loads of meaningless channels full of repeats!). Obviously, if Sky changed this then they’d loose out but there comes a time when the competition may force more fragmentation on this business model.

    One thing for sure is that Sky’s business strategy is focusing online and demand more than linear and this also means it’s grip and subsidies on some pay channels will change – watch this space! Freesat, having Netflix on-board, is going to at least offer people who want one box for on-demand content something extra although so feel they should have done this a couple of years ago.

  5. Neil, I like pimlicosounds comment below the article.

    “Anyone who thinks the future of TV is watching programmes on a schedule, filled with ads, all tied up in lengthy contracts, is frankly insane or still living in the 1970s.”

  6. RichardC said:
    Neil, I like pimlicosounds comment below the article.
    “Anyone who thinks the future of TV is watching programmes on a schedule, filled with ads, all tied up in lengthy contracts, is frankly insane or still living in the 1970s.”

    Yep, there’s a lot of truth in that. Live TV (news, sport, big events etc) will always be linear but for most, catch-up/on-demand is where it’s all heading.

  7. Interesting concept. I’d like to know how Sky manage 12 different programmes via a dish feed? Is there some new technology out there that has yet to reach mainstream

  8. Peterhb,

    The new STB will use Unicable technology – multiple tuners connected to a single cable. Originally (before the silicon caught up) intended to allow multiple STBs to connect to the same dish without loads of cables up the wall it can now also be used to boost the number of tuners in a single STB.

    Description on Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_cable_distribution

    I haven’t read it all so can’t vouch for it’s readability.

  9. Admin any news on the ITV hub update and if in common with other devices which have ITVHub access, will allow Scottish Postcodes to use ITVhub for ITV2,3,4 programming?

  10. UKTV channels migrating to a UK spot TP. Check out 12129 27500 v 2/3

    Could this be Freesat’s Christmas present?????

  11. Shane said:
    UKTV channels migrating to a UK spot TP. Check out 12129 27500 v 2/3
    Could this be Freesat’s Christmas present?????

    Will post about it shortly.

  12. I think Freesat was what happened Showbiz deleted by Freesat last week.
    Sky service available Showbiz channel 266 working now my friend told me.

  13. RichardC said:
    Neil, I like pimlicosounds comment below the article.
    “Anyone who thinks the future of TV is watching programmes on a schedule, filled with ads, all tied up in lengthy contracts, is frankly insane or still living in the 1970s.”

    Shouldn’t that be 2010s?

    Most people still watch scheduled soaps and reality tv, and like to chat about them with their friends,

Comments are closed.