Join Freesat


eToro - Be part of the social trading success


Apr 15 2013

Freesat have today launched four fantastic new music channels on the platform, making their music line-up one of the most varied and exciting around.

The new channels include:

Kiss (channel 518) – Get the party started with Kiss and the hottest blend of R&B, Dance and Hip Hop music videos. It’s the place to earn yourself some essential urban cred.

The Box (channel 519) – The Box is the place to get fresh music first showcasing the latest videos from Pop to R&B, Dance and Hip Hop.

Smash Hits (channel 521) – Smash Hits is the only place for non-stop chart music videos; it’s today’s hits now and always.

Kerrang! (channel 524) – Kerrang! lives life loud playing the noisiest, most kick ass rock music ever and delivering rock music to the masses.

95 Responses to “Freesat turn up the volume with 4 new music channels”

  1. Joe Says:

    Shame about AKA leaving… but Freesat has gained a better selection of music channels. Heard Heat and Magic will also join in two weeks – so things are looking up!

    Do you know why AKA left? And if there are any plans for Chartshow Dance, Greatest Hits, and Starz to join Freesat aswell?

      Quote

  2. Kim Says:

    I loved the box and smash hits when we had sky so am over the moon we’ve got them on freesat now, pity there’s still no sign of dave yet though

      Quote

  3. Fred Says:

    *cough* Kerrang! being the only good one in that list *cough*

    …of course taste is subjective, the more the merrier as far as I’m concerned.

      Quote

  4. Darren Speck Says:

    Great news, the music section must be one of the best now on freesat as so many channels to suit everyones music taste.

    Well done freesat

      Quote

  5. Liamo Says:

    Excellent. Well done! great news and not the first in the last six months – Freesat really taking off now!

      Quote

  6. Ian Vallender Says:

    it looks like freesats birthday present to itself is some new music tv channels I wonder how many now more and more reasons to have freesat with boxes from under 30quid which i think is about a months sky subscription. now all we need is uktv to Join freesat atleast with the channels available on freeview eg. Dave, Davejavu, Really and yesterday. and I probably wouldn’t use freeview on my main tv . freesats anniversary is 3 weeks away May 6th I wonder what admin has planned?

      Quote

  7. Dave Says:

    Great news freesat thanks again
    Looking like a good year coming up

    And would love to get RTL for the F1 dose anyone know if can get this channel over the Internet or media streamer ? , just cos I cannot put another dish up at my home
    Thanks for your help.

    And you know what I’m gonna say next
    All we need I think is UKTV …..

      Quote

  8. Lee Says:

    Great additions, shame that now they have moved to the EPG that they just break up and are unwatchable! They were fine in non-freesat mode. Guess my dish must be ever so slightly out although all the other channels are fine.

    Would be great to see Chart Show Dance added along with Greatest Hits & hopefully at some future point 4music if it ever switches to FTA.

      Quote

  9. Rosco Says:

    Dave said:
    Great news freesat thanks again
    Looking like a good year coming up
    And would love to get RTL for the F1 dose anyone know if can get this channel over the Internet or media streamer ? , just cos I cannot put another dish up at my home
    Thanks for your help.
    And you know what I’m gonna say next
    All we need I think is UKTV …..

    With a bit of experimentation you might get away with just putting an offset lnb on your current dish Ive got all sorts of offset lnbs lashed up to my dishes to extend the number of orbital slots I can receive. (Currently 18 and no motor to be seen anywhere on the system!)

      Quote

  10. Lee S Says:

    This is great news. Variety of music is great on these channels and I remember back in the day when I used to pay a sub to watch The Box etc. Also i’m surprised by the quality of these channels in SD.

      Quote

  11. John O Brien (Ireland) Says:

    i have tv4free so i guess it’s the same as freesat and i have just got all those music channels, i would love to see more movie channels coming on system so hopefully that will be the next thing they do

      Quote

  12. nathan williams Says:

    These 4 music channels that on freesat will they go free on sky I currently pay for them

      Quote

  13. Martin Says:

    Brill fantastic geting better every year it’s going to be bigger than freeviwe in the end lets hope for the rest of the clan to come on board dave yesterday quest if they came along freesat would be complete

      Quote

  14. Rosco Says:

    nathan williams said:
    These 4 music channelsthat on freesat will they go free on sky I currently pay for them

    They went free on Sky last week bud! You arent paying a bent eurocent for them in your sub.

      Quote

  15. SA Says:

    fantastic , love kerrang all we need now is some sports c mon eurosport and motors tv we need you to make our lives complete.

      Quote

  16. nathan williams Says:

    That just leaves all mtv channels and 4 music encrypted on sky I think
    It just be mtv pack on sky then

      Quote

  17. Neil Says:

    Great additions to the line-up, this sends a clear message to other channels wanting to join the platform that Freesat is becoming bigger and better with it’s variety of content. I guess the reserve LCN slots are for Magic, Heat and 4Music.

      Quote

  18. Dan Says:

    SA said:
    fantastic , love kerrang all we need now is some sports c mon eurosport and motors tv we need you to make our lives complete.

    Eurosport have already stated they have no intention of being anything other than a subscription service for the forseeable future.

    We will be getting insportive when it launches, the new channel showing coverage of niche sport events that often get little or no coverage outside of the olympic games. When freesat from sky goes & the whole FTV system goes, we may well see motors TV & LFC TV. This depends on whether they choose to go FTA or to become subscription channels, of course.

      Quote

  19. Mick Says:

    To me music channels is not about the more the merrier It’s about various styles/ganres. Too many music chans just playing current chart hits is not nessesary.

      Quote

  20. swjoduk Says:

    Minor point, but its a shame Scuzz isn’t being moved so its next to Kerrang. In fact I would go with the following so genre’s are together

    500 Chart Show TV
    501 The Box
    502 Smash Hits
    503 Planet Pop
    504 Heart TV
    505 Capital TV
    506 BuzMuzik
    507 Kiss
    508 Flava
    509 Clubland TV
    510 Bliss
    511 The Vault
    512 Vintage TV
    513 Scuzz
    514 Kerrang!
    515 B4U Music
    516 Zing

      Quote

  21. Dan Says:

    swjoduk – many of the gaps at the moment have been saved for soon launching channels, namely heat & magic, then eventually 4music. Also, it is unlikely that a channel like scuzz or b4u would be happy at being moved 10 places down the epg for no reason. If people want them in order genre, they can just make a favourites list of the ones they want in that order.

      Quote

  22. mike65 Says:

    Mick said:
    To me music channels is not about the more the merrier It’s about various styles/ganres. Too many music chans just playing current chart hits is not nessesary.

    Undoubtedly true, if this were 15 years ago I might give a damn but now its basically a hideous mix of modern (joke) r’n b, X factor style guff and whiny brat “metal” Only Vintage is remotely near my musically compass and in truth its still too dull to watch.

    Wanted – one genuine classic rock channel

      Quote

  23. stonedimmaculate1962 Says:

    Good Indie, Britpop & a proper Rock Channel would be nice and not the Scuzz or Kerrang stuff where they thrash there guitars to death & scream into there microphones, even a Blues, Soul or a real genuine 60s R+B.

      Quote

  24. John O Brien Says:

    i have tv4free and yeah i have got all those musci channels done a scan last week and i also got heat and magic so they will be coming on the system for anyone that wants to know that, Now how about some decent film channels now

      Quote

  25. SL Says:

    Fantastic that Kerrang is on there now, not just a dozen channels that play all the same monotonous autotuned …. that infests the airwaves today.

    Just hope they dont have the teen “metal” that is just pop with people dressed in black.

      Quote

  26. swjoduk Says:

    stonedimmaculate1962 said:
    Good Indie, Britpop & a proper Rock Channel would be nice and not the Scuzz or Kerrang stuff where they thrash there guitars to death & scream into there microphones, even a Blues, Soul or a real genuine 60s R+B.

    Used to have one in NME, was gutted when that went, or there was lava (previously another name) too on non Freesat but now Greatest Hits I think?

      Quote

  27. Rosco Says:

    SA said:
    fantastic , love kerrang all we need now is some sports c mon eurosport and motors tv we need you to make our lives complete.

    Motors is a possibility, but no chance of eurosport.

      Quote

  28. Rosco Says:

    swjoduk said:
    Minor point, but its a shame Scuzz isn’t being moved so its next to Kerrang. In fact I would go with the following so genre’s are together

    You do realise that FS cant just move channels around to satisfy the cravings of those who want channels in a particular order? Anyway why would scuzz give up their favourable 503 slot to drop down to 513??

      Quote

  29. JonP Says:

    Same here, but everything else is perfect. Would like to watch these channels too.

    Lee said:
    Great additions, shame that now they have moved to the EPG that they just break up and are unwatchable! They were fine in non-freesat mode. Guess my dish must be ever so slightly out although all the other channels are fine.
    Would be great to see Chart Show Dance added along with Greatest Hits & hopefully at some future point 4music if it ever switches to FTA.

      Quote

  30. SL Says:

    Just seen that Kerrang is in 4:3 so 16:9 content is squeezed into 4:3 with black bars at the top and bottom with a terrible aspect ratio.

      Quote

  31. nathan williams Says:

    4 music free on sky now

      Quote

  32. SA Says:

    ok so i cant have eurosport , give me dave and motors tv and ill be a happy boy , dont make me ask santa again im still on the naughty list .

      Quote

  33. SA Says:

    @SL 30
    its a full screen on my tv

      Quote

  34. SA Says:

    why is the time stamp above message an hour slow ?
    did someone forget to put the clock forward.

      Quote

  35. Mick Says:

    Mick said:
    To me music channels is not about the more the merrier It’s about various styles/ganres. Too many music chans just playing current chart hits is not nessesary.

    Glad I posted this comment as it seemed to kickstart conversation back on topic. Instead of drifting into the usual topic of sports channels, If we get sport on Freesat all well & good. but I personally find plenty of free sports on my laptop.

      Quote

  36. jf Says:

    i have echostar hds-600 and i cant view these channels.they are in my epg but says they are not available.dont want to do new install as i think i will lose my future recordings .any help would be great thanks

      Quote

  37. jf Says:

    jf said:
    i have echostar hds-600 and i cant view these channels.they are in my epg but says they are not available.dont want to do new install as i think i will lose my future recordings .any help would be great thanks

    sorted with a manual scan

      Quote

  38. upthePOSH Says:

    Sorry to go off topic and apologies if I’m not allowed to post links to other sites but this little article sounds promising about netflix adopting html5 , hopefully it wont be to long coming to freetime.

      Quote

  39. admin Says:

    Sorry, no links to Digital$ky on here. Any others are fine ;)

      Quote

  40. upthePOSH Says:

    admin said:
    Sorry, no links to Digital$ky on here. Any others are fine

    Sorry , I’ll remember that in future.

      Quote

  41. mike65 Says:

    What’s the issue with DS?

      Quote

  42. upthePOSH Says:

    mike65 said:
    What’s the issue with DS?

    No issue with ds it’s just you’re not allowed to post links to them on here. The article I was referring to was about Netflix adopting the html5 format and as the free time box runs on html5 , I thought perhaps it won’t belong before we hear news on Netflix joining freesat.

      Quote

  43. Rosco Says:

    nathan williams said:
    4 music free on sky now

    Not propely – its now at ftv level not fta.

      Quote

  44. Mick Says:

    mike65 said: Undoubtedly true, if this were 15 years ago I might give a damn but now its basically a hideous mix of modern (joke) r’n b, X factor style guff and whiny brat “metal” Only Vintage is remotely near my musically compass and in truth its still too dull to watch.
    Wanted – one genuine classic rock channel

    I’ve heard The Wanted & they’r deffo not how you describe. lol

      Quote

  45. Richard Crichton Says:

    mike65 said:
    What’s the issue with DS?

    The clue is in the name admin has given them . Digital$ky :D

      Quote

  46. Richard Crichton Says:

    Although on the face of it it’s good news but I can’t see all these marmite channels surviving. The market seems saturated for this kind of stuff and the ad revenue will be thinly spread. It could be a fatal mistake for some of them.
    On the other hand they are all SD so all music vid fans need is a £30 box to get them in their full splender. No need for £299 Freetime boxes for this market segment.

      Quote

  47. Dan Says:

    Richard Crichton said:
    Although on the face of it it’s good news but I can’t see all these marmite channels surviving. The market seems saturated for this kind of stuff and the ad revenue will be thinly spread. It could be a fatal mistake for some of them.
    On the other hand they are all SD so all music vid fans need is a £30 box to get them in their full splender. No need for £299 Freetime boxes for this market segment.

    It’s still more EPG fees for freesat & will attract a few more people, as every new channel will appeal to somebody somewhere. I agree that music channels are losing their value, but to attain some of the biggest names among them is good news nonetheless. Also, with Heat & Magic also launching when they can join that same transponder, we’ll then just need 4music to make the full set.

    Perhaps most importantly, they’re 4 more advantages over freeview!

      Quote

  48. Keith Cobby Says:

    I would have thought there would be more interest in a couple of HD music channels, although I suspect much of the existing content wouldn’t look much better.

      Quote

  49. Richard Crichton Says:

    Opera, Jazz, Country, Classical etc etc channels where are they?

      Quote

  50. Dipper Says:

    Mike65,

    If you want classic rock, switch to the radio channels and listen to Planet Rock. Great station!

      Quote

  51. John Naylor Says:

    These channels are a fantastic addition to the platform, it just keeps getting better. Well, maybe! Forgive me for going off topic, but I need some help please. Today, I installed a new 1TB hard drive in my Foxsat HDR. I don’t know how, but I seem to have lost the option to go into non-freesat mode from the menu. Any ideas please?

      Quote

  52. johnevans Says:

    when is magic heat and 4 music coming to freeset

      Quote

  53. Dan Says:

    johnevans said:
    when is magic heat and 4 music coming to freeset

    Heat & Magic just have to wait to get on the same transponder as these 4 additions, so I would expect them to be on within the next couple of months. However, 4music has more issues with shows & is currently encrypted to sky so could be a lot longer. All 3 will eventually launch on freesat though!

      Quote

  54. johnevans Says:

    Great news

      Quote

  55. Neil Says:

    Dan said: Heat & Magic just have to wait to get on the same transponder as these 4 additions, so I would expect them to be on within the next couple of months. However, 4music has more issues with shows & is currently encrypted to sky so could be a lot longer. All 3 will eventually launch on freesat though!

    Word on the street is Heat and Magic are joining in the next week or so – don’t quote me though. Being on the same transponder isn’t necessarily a necessity for them joining freesat as EPG data can be delivered to wherever they are Mux’d.

      Quote

  56. Richard Crichton Says:

    John Naylor said:
    These channels are a fantastic addition to the platform, it just keeps getting better.Well, maybe!Forgive me for going off topic, but I need some help please.Today, I installed a new 1TB hard drive in my Foxsat HDR.I don’t know how, but I seem to have lost the option to go into non-freesat mode from the menu.Any ideas please?

    Ask Grahamlthompson here http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/

      Quote

  57. John Naylor Says:

    @56

    Thank you Richard.

      Quote

  58. Gaseousclay Says:

    John Naylor said:
    …but I seem to have lost the option to go into non-freesat mode from the menu.Any ideas please?

    You need to perform a manual scan again, the option for non-freesat mode won’t show if there are no channels stored.

      Quote

  59. John Naylor Says:

    @58

    Thanks Gaseousclay. Done!

      Quote

  60. Rosco Says:

    Blue Ocean Network are epg testing on 12607V 27500 2/3 tagged as 55304. Could be an interesting one if they stay fta. They are currently looking at a Sky launch

    http://www.bon.tv/about-us.php

    “Tune in now as we bring you the best view on contemporary China.”

    Would be a worthy addition to Freesat if they do stay clear.

      Quote

  61. Dan Says:

    Rosco said:
    Blue Ocean Network are epg testing on 12607V 27500 2/3 tagged as 55304. Could be an interesting one if they stay fta. They are currently looking at a Sky launch
    http://www.bon.tv/about-us.php
    “Tune in now as we bring you the best view on contemporary China.”
    Would be a worthy addition to Freesat if they do stay clear.

    Their website says they offer programmes for Chinese cooking, I wouldn’t mind that at all. I’m sure it would be fairly popular too, any addition is good.

      Quote

  62. Anthony Says:

    Magic and heat would be two good additions to the Freesat platform eventually.

      Quote

  63. Neil Says:

    Anthony said:
    Magic and heat would be two good additions to the Freesat platform eventually.

    Some have reported they are only a week or so away from being added.

      Quote

  64. Richard Crichton Says:

    UTV HD to be on Freesat by the end of the year according to their website.

    http://www.u.tv/News/UTV-signs-new-network-deal/d4815924-857b-4d73-b4b5-ec6bc7c1441a

      Quote

  65. shane Says:

    Richard Crichton said:
    UTV HD to be on Freesat by the end of the year according to their website.
    http://www.u.tv/News/UTV-signs-new-network-deal/d4815924-857b-4d73-b4b5-ec6bc7c1441a

    That article is over 12 months old. They are talking about year end 2012!!

      Quote

  66. Neil Says:

    shane said: That article is over 12 months old. They are talking about year end 2012!!

    Now they are talking end of Q2 2013, before that it was Q1 2013 (i.e. 31st March). It will happen one day, don’t hold your breath though!!!

      Quote

  67. Richard Crichton Says:

    Neil said: Now they are talking end of Q2 2013, before that it was Q1 2013 (i.e. 31st March). It will happen one day, don’t hold your breath though!!!

    So will the end of the world. What about STV HD. No channel 3 HD in Scotland on Freesat. I added it in non Freesat but then it disappeared don’t know why.
    Any news on Arise HD coming to Freesat?

      Quote

  68. Dan Says:

    Richard Crichton said: Any news on Arise HD coming to Freesat?

    It’s been said on another forum that Arise News HD will be joining around June/July, I have no idea if there’s any truth or knowledge in that though.

    On another note, I’m hoping that post olympic sports channel will launch soon, it’s website has been running a trailer for months now! It would be nice to finally have a sports channel on freesat, even if it is only shows niche sports coverage. BBC have got the rights to the Confederations Cup in the summer too, so there will still be good football on during the off season.

      Quote

  69. Neil Says:

    Richard Crichton said: So will the end of the world. What about STV HD. No channel 3 HD in Scotland on Freesat. I added it in non Freesat but then it disappeared don’t know why.
    Any news on Arise HD coming to Freesat?

    Yep it’s terrible, STV should be ashamed of themselves. There’s definitely more than meets the eye in this STV HD issue, I think as well as the spat between them and ITV there’s obviously some issue surrounding the carriage deal Sky did with ITV in 2010 to carry their HD services, plus STV.

    Dan said: It’s been said on another forum that Arise News HD will be joining around June/July, I have no idea if there’s any truth or knowledge in that though.
    On another note, I’m hoping that post olympic sports channel will launch soon, it’s website has been running a trailer for months now! It would be nice to finally have a sports channel on freesat, even if it is only shows niche sports coverage. BBC have got the rights to the Confederations Cup in the summer too, so there will still be good football on during the off season.

    Have you a link to that forum, as long as it’s not DS! Arise told me when I emailed them Arise News (+ HD) would launch later this year so there could be some truth in it. It’s not a bad channel, I guess once they get off the ground fully it will become a 24hr operation.

    As for Heat and Magic, I see they now have their 3840 data PID enabled which means a Freesat launch is imminent, guess next week?

      Quote

  70. Harry Says:

    Both Heat and Magic have freesat EPG data for tomorrow from 7am, but nothing beyond 3:30am on Saturday. So potentially launching tomorrow but previous additions have seen data being available for a few days prior to officially joining the platform.

    ‘Heat’ will be on 520 and ‘Magic’ will be on 523, leaving 522 for (presumably) 4Music at some point.

      Quote

  71. Neil Says:

    Cheers Harry, good prior tip off on the EPG LCN’s. Thought they’d put 4Music on 520, guess too this could change last min, as per Viva!

      Quote

  72. Dan Says:

    I thought 4music would get a space far higher up, such as the spaces at 507 & 508, or the recently vacated 512. Good news for music channels again though, waiting for this so called big announcement regarding 4od next week!

      Quote

  73. Rosco Says:

    Dan said:
    I thought 4music would get a space far higher up, such as the spaces at 507 & 508, or the recently vacated 512.

    Unless the epgs have been prior reserved there are strict rules about where channels launch onto the Freesat (& Sky) epgs.

      Quote

  74. Neil Says:

    From Harry’s observations on the EPG data it looks like Viva was originally reserved 507 but ended up in the ent. section which makes sense as it shows no music in primetime. I guess 4Music would also qualify if it wasn’t actually called 4″music” as shows C4 programmes during evenings.

    I suppose 522 for 4Music is a good LCN as it’s a double two, I guess we just wait to see what the other slots lower down are filled with, if anything?

      Quote

  75. Glyn Says:

    Off topic, but just put my ‘freetime’ box into non-freesat mode and scanned for channels. It found about 300, which seems far less than my Foxsat used to. Also, it would appear that all of these ‘non-freesat’ channels are those of $ly…I could be wrong, but think this box doesn’t give all the channels that the Foxsat did – which is a shame.

      Quote

  76. Chris S Says:

    I can’t see any reason why a the new Freetime box would pick up less channels on a FTA scan than a Foxsat would! FTA channels are FTA channels. Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E and you can see there are about 300 channels there – although I haven’t bothered counting all the lines, perhaps you could do that yourself. Perhaps the Freetime box only scans FTA channels or you chose to scan FTA only, whereas the Foxsat allowed you to scan for encrypted channels too, which is why you saw all the Sky channels? But don’t worry, I don’t think you’re missing out or being short-changed on free channels.

      Quote

  77. Glyn Says:

    Sorted – now have 724 non-freesat channels. Network search is switched off by default within channel search, which returns the 300 channels. Network search switched to ‘on’ finds the extra channels.

      Quote

  78. Dan Says:

    Other forums have said that Heat & Magic will launch next Tuesday or Wednesday! WIll be good additions if they do & it isn’t unreasonable given that there was EPG data last night.

      Quote

  79. Neil Says:

    Dan said:
    Other forums have said that Heat & Magic will launch next Tuesday or Wednesday! WIll be good additions if they do & it isn’t unreasonable given that there was EPG data last night.

    Looks like they’ll appear next week, Tues is their usual update day so probably a good bet it will be on for then. I wonder when 4music will then go FTA and join? Presumably when 2E is active as all beams could be easily switched wide/spotbeam and so 12480V switched to spotbeam. C4 and C4+1 Ireland are also FTV so could go FTA saving C4 more encryption costs.

      Quote

  80. Dan Says:

    Yeah, because 4music shows channel 4 shows, such as 8 out of 10 cats, from off the top of my head. I think they’d have to go on the channel 4 transponder before launch. It’s something that should really be sorted during the course of 2013 quite comfortably. Maybe an announcement at the same time as 4od in the next week or two? Could be a pleasant surprise perhaps?

      Quote

  81. Neil Says:

    Dan said:
    Yeah, because 4music shows channel 4 shows, such as 8 out of 10 cats, from off the top of my head. I think they’d have to go on the channel 4 transponder before launch. It’s something that should really be sorted during the course of 2013 quite comfortably. Maybe an announcement at the same time as 4od in the next week or two? Could be a pleasant surprise perhaps?

    Is there an announcement due regarding 4OD in the coming week? I’ve read rumours of some sort of big announcement.

    Yep, they could move it to one of the C4 Txp’s or alternatively switch TP40 (12480V) to spotbeam when the Astra 2A to 2E migration takes place later this year. It all depends whether C4 would want to cram 10 channels on to one of their main transponders I guess as PQ would be degraded as a consequence.

      Quote

  82. Richard Crichton Says:

    “Is there an announcement due regarding 4OD in the coming week?”
    No idea but it is 4 months overdue if there is.
    What I want is all the 4 family HD channels on Freesat not selling out to Sly for a few quid.
    Watched a bit of the Pick barker channel last night. Sly adverts during every tedious commercial break. It really is unwatchable imho.

      Quote

  83. Dan Says:

    Neil said: Is there an announcement due regarding 4OD in the coming week? I’ve read rumours of some sort of big announcement.
    Yep, they could move it to one of the C4 Txp’s or alternatively switch TP40 (12480V) to spotbeam when the Astra 2A to 2E migration takes place later this year. It all depends whether C4 would want to cram 10 channels on to one of their main transponders I guess as PQ would be degraded as a consequence.

    On the official freesat forum, a member of the freesat team has stated she is working on the 4od development and that there will be an announcement late April/early May. I’m guessing it will be May now!

      Quote

  84. Rosco Says:

    Neil said: I wonder when 4music will then go FTA and join? Presumably when 2E is active as all beams could be easily switched wide/spotbeam and so 12480V switched to spotbeam. C4 and C4+1 Ireland are also FTV so could go FTA saving C4 more encryption costs.

    12480V could be switched over to a spotbeam this afternoon if it was so desired – theres plenty of spotbeam capacity at 28E now. The delay will be in awaiting encryption contracts to expire.

      Quote

  85. Neil Says:

    Rosco said: 12480V could be switched over to a spotbeam this afternoon if it was so desired – theres plenty of spotbeam capacity at 28E now. The delay will be in awaiting encryption contracts to expire.

    Not on Astra 2A it can’t! It’s not as easy as that, well technically it will be once 2E is in flight but at uplink Teleports many services are uplinked together thus moving one to a different satellite requires a separate uplink antenna so not a cheap affair at ground level! Once all services migrate to 2E or 2F then switching one or another wide/spotbeam should be very easy. I guess Box TV will have extended FTV encryption to cover as long as needed until TP40 (12480V) is migrated to 2E or 2F, possibly up to Sept but a guess – depends when 2E lifts off??

      Quote

  86. Rosco Says:

    I know not on 2A but it would be easy enough to switch 12480V over to 1N or 2F. A few minutes would all it would take

      Quote

  87. Rosco Says:

    Oh and 2E is on a Proton from Baikonour in early Autumn.

      Quote

  88. Neil Says:

    Rosco said:
    I know not on 2A but it would be easy enough to switch 12480V over to 1N or 2F. A few minutes would all it would take

    The problems are reconfiguring the uplink antennas at ground as a single uplink dish antenna has to point to the exact bird, usually many transponders are uplinked together to a satellite. your right though that if they were all novated to 1N then it could go spotbeam fairly easily from a a satellite point of view.

    Isn’t 2E scheduled for launch around mud July? http://www.satlaunch.net/p/launch-schedule-2013.html Nothing confirmed via SES yet but I think SES want it operational by the autumn so with two months testing from July would be about right. That’s the point this forum will be flooded with expats complaining at reception losses all over southern and eastern Europe.

      Quote

  89. Carl Says:

    Rosco said: 12480V could be switched over to a spotbeam this afternoon if it was so desired – theres plenty of spotbeam capacity at 28E now. The delay will be in awaiting encryption contracts to expire.

    Encryption contracts for the C4-Bauer channels have already expired; 4Music is temporarily FTV due to rights issues arising from a couple of bought in series. As soon as it moves to a spotbeam it will become FTA, but there is no date at this time.

      Quote

  90. ztoppe Says:

    2 added:

    520 Heat
    523 Magic

      Quote

  91. Dave Says:

    Great stuff another 2 new channels , just a quick question on the official freesat forum a lot of people been talking and asking about quest tv ? .
    Quest tv are saying to contact freesat so any news anyone :-)

      Quote

  92. Richard Crichton Says:

    Dave said:
    Great stuff another 2 new channels , just a quick question on the official freesat forum a lot of people been talking and asking about quest tv ? .
    Quest tv are saying to contact freesat so any news anyone

    This isn’t Freesat.

      Quote

  93. admin Says:

    Richard Crichton said: This isn’tFreesat.

    How dare you ;) :P

      Quote

  94. Dan Says:

    Freesat are simply an EPG, they have no say in whether a channel chooses to become FTA or pay their fees. They just encourage them & add them when they want to. If you really want the channel, keep contacting them as many signs have seemed to be encouraging!

      Quote

  95. Richard Crichton Says:

    admin said: How dare you

    Your welcome :D

      Quote

Leave a Reply

Freesat RSS Feed Want the latest Freesat news?
You should subscribe to our RSS Feed, as you'll get all the latest Freesat news, reviews and information!