Line of Duty, Doctor Who and Ant and Dec triumph at the Freesat Free TV Awards 2014

Line of Duty, Doctor Who and Ant and Dec triumph at the Freesat Free TV Awards 2014The stars of British Television, both sides of the camera, celebrated the very best in Free TV at the sixth annual Freesat Free TV Awards.

Doctor Who, The Day of the Doctor scooped the biggest award of the night, as it was named Best of British TV programme or series. The judges praised it as ‘momentous’, ‘extraordinary’ and ‘a massive undertaking to do something as fitting as this for the show’s 50th anniversary’.

BBC Two’s cult hit police thriller Line of Duty was named Freesat Best TV Drama, with lead actor Keeley Hawes taking to the stage to collect the award. The judges said that the show had featured ‘breathtaking performances’ and that ‘in a world of box sets, we enjoyed watching TV in the usual way, staying in every Wednesday night to find out what would happen next.

ITV took home three awards, with Best Live TV Programme or Series going to Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway, which the judges said had delivered ‘Extraordinary ambition, week after week’. Ant and Dec also won Personality of the Year, for the second year in a row, and Coronation Street was named Best British TV Soap.

BBC Two won the Freesat Channel of the Year award, as judges praised the channel for ‘firing on all cylinders; with strong dramas, great comedy and expertise in every territory from science to history’. As well as Line of Duty, BBC Two also won for Best TV Sitcom, with James Corden and Mathew Baynton’s The Wrong Mans.

Best News channel was awarded to BBC Radio 5 Live and Scripps Networks’ The Travel Channel took home the prize for best Specialist Channel. Channel 4’s documentary series Educating Yorkshire won Best Factual TV Programme or Series.

Emma Scott, Freesat’s Managing Director, commented:

I never fail to be impressed with the outstanding quality of great free Television and Radio on Freesat. This year in particular has been a truly amazing one for TV drama, so we’re particularly proud to see Doctor Who, The Day of the Doctor and Line of Duty recognized as our winners from a fantastically strong field.

The Freesat awards celebrate the very best of Britain’s free TV, from Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway to Educating Yorkshire to The Wrong Mans. Huge congratulations to all our winners – they represent a roll-call of excellence, and that reflects the strong line-up of channels on Freesat which keep going from strength to strength.

Hosted by comedian Marcus Brigstocke, the awards ceremony was attended by a 250 strong VIP audience of celebrities, media and broadcasters.

Over 200 entries completed across twelve categories, and winners were chosen by an expert panel of broadcasting industry executives and television commentators, chaired by journalist and commentator, Neil Midgley.

The awards were supported by TV Times and Manhattan.

Freesat Free TV Awards 2014 Winners:

Freesat Channel of the Year: BBC Two
The judges said: On this channel, everything is just working’. It’s truly firing on all cylinders, with great comedy and expertise in every factual territory, from science to history. Even its lighter programmes – including those that might literally be described as ‘self-raising’ – show real depth and intelligence. And, over the last year, the channel’s new drama series have all been truly exceptional – with one of them recognised earlier this evening.

Best of British: TV Programme or Series: Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor
The judges said: Momentous, extraordinary and had real power. Creating a new, powerful, emotional and moral dilemma within such a long-running show was a massive undertaking. There is nothing more British than this programme.

Best Factual TV Programme or Series: Educating Yorkshire
The judges were impressed by the ‘courageous and inspiring’ content of this show. Although it is a returning format, the standard of casting, storylining and editing – not to mention a brave new choice of location – delivered a step change from the first series.

Best TV Sitcom: The Wrong Mans
The judges said: The programme itself was a genuinely risky undertaking, mixing dry sitcom with the crash-bang action of a thrilling Hollywood caper. Not only did it create a ‘gripping story’, but it still managed to be full of jokes, with its lead actors clearly relishing their unlikely roles.

Best TV Drama: Line of Duty
The judges said: This series took its genre forward with long – but gripping – interview scenes, and with a central performance that was nothing short of a masterclass in character acting.

Best Live TV Programme or Series: Ant & Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway
The judges said: A standout in its category, it delivered a true variety of elements including performance and competition showing ‘extraordinary ambition, week after week, and made the most of its immediacy and connection with viewers at home’. It had so many aspects that are hard to pull off live, but delivered them with fantastic confidence and innovation.’ It was a ‘must see’ for every family, with a real surprise every Saturday’.

Best Children’s TV Programme or Series: Katie Morag
The judges said: Beautifully and authentically shot, it was a key move by its host channel into scripted drama, delivering self contained stories that could have been twee – but which instead feel sweet and, more importantly, real to their young audience.

Best Digital Radio Channel: Absolute 80s
The judges said: It’s done a fantastic job of engaging more deeply with its audience, through social media and with a powerful multiplatform strategy. Full of innovation, this station has found ways of creating premium new content – and has worked hard to recruit exactly the right presenters.

Best Specialist Channel: The Travel Channel
The judges said: A ‘standout channel’, run by a talented team who have done a brilliant job – not only of rebranding, but also of reinvigorating its content using canny original commissions and famous faces. The result has been ‘amazing growth’ in its audience share.

Best News Channel: Radio 5 Live
The judges said: Radio 5 Live has strong presenters who know their audience and present with flair, authority and confidence. The editorial line is consistently strong and tackles uncomfortable issues well, creating a bond with the target audience. Breaking news is reported boldly and seamlessly – in short, this channel does a peerless job in news broadcasting.

Audience Award – Broadcast Personality of the Year: Ant & Dec

Audience Award – Best British TV Soap: Coronation Street (ITV)

73 thoughts on “Line of Duty, Doctor Who and Ant and Dec triumph at the Freesat Free TV Awards 2014”

  1. Also i really cannot understand why they continue to provide regional channels like itv and bbc… It is such a waste of space on the sat. You could have at least 50 brand new channels on 28.2e if they could just get rid of this… it’s so pointless

  2. Rob said:
    Also i really cannot understand why they continue to provide regional channels like itv and bbc… It is such a waste of space on the sat. You could have at least 50 brand new channels on 28.2e if they could just get rid of this… it’s so pointless

    There is such an unbelievable lack of knowledge banding around on here at times. The regional variants are nothing to do with Freesat, these are decided upon by the relevant broadcaster. In addition, there is plenty of space on 28.2, these regional channels have absolutely no baring on the ability for more channels to be launched.

    The situation at present may look a little stagnant, but that is purely because Freesat has reached a point where the majority (if not all) of freely available satellite channels are now on the platform, which should be regarded as a huge success and ultimately what keeps the platform afloat (just!). If anyone can suggest a way in which Freesat can magic subscription channels out of thin air, or fund the creation of multi-million pound channels with sports and film licenses, I’m happy to pass them on!

  3. Rob said: Evolve? the last decent channels were about 1 year ago.Evolving very very slowly

    Evolve basically means “develop gradually” so yes it’s a fair description. Apart from a couple of minor niggles I’m really happy with my HDR-1000S 🙂

  4. admin said: There is such an unbelievable lack of knowledge banding around on here at times. The regional variants are nothing to do with Freesat, these are decided upon by the relevant broadcaster. In addition, there is plenty of space on 28.2, these regional channels have absolutely no baring on the ability for more channels to be launched.
    The situation at present may look a little stagnant, but that is purely because Freesat has reached a point where the majority (if not all) of freely available satellite channels are now on the platform, which should be regarded as a huge success and ultimately what keeps the platform afloat (just!). If anyone can suggest a way in which Freesat can magic subscription channels out of thin air, or fund the creation of multi-million pound channels with sports and film licenses, I’m happy to pass them on!

    Let’s face it,freesat has come has far as possible with adding channels. UKTV is unlikely to join now and more HD from major providers is not going to happen.With freeview connect coming soon and youview well past being in over a million homes then freesat needs to rethink its objectives if it is to evolve,or indeed survive the IPTV revolution that’s coming.

  5. Off topic I know, but I recently became interested in a new Panasonic TV with offered at a very good price, only to discover it was Freeview receiver, not a Freesat one. Indeed, it now seems that Panasonic offer very few if any Freesat TVs in its current line up.
    I’m therefore posting this to warn others that not every machine has a satellite tuner. And if a major brand like Panasonic has indeed pulled the plug on Freesat, then this must be a concern for the future of the platform. I hope that I am wrong because I have been a supporter of Freesat since it was launched, and so far as I can see, it still offers significant benefits over its competitors.

  6. Sorry the above comment will not make much sense because the Freetime references seem to have been chopped out as a result of using the correct freetime bracket symbols! It should have read…

    Off topic I know, but I recently became interested in a new Panasonic TV with Freetime offered at a very good price, only to discover it was Freeview Freetime receiver, not a Freesat one. Indeed, it now seems that Panasonic offer very few if any Freesat TVs in its current line up.
    I’m therefore posting this to warn others that not every machine has a satellite tuner. And if a major brand like Panasonic has indeed pulled the plug on Freesat, then this must be a concern for the future of the platform. I hope that I am wrong because I have been a supporter of Freesat since it was launched, and so far as I can see, it still offers significant benefits over its competitors

  7. Lawrence Pearce said:
    Sorrythe above comment will not make much sense because the Freetime references seem to have been chopped out as a result of using the correct freetime bracket symbols!It should have read…
    Off topic I know, but I recently became interested in a new Panasonic TV with Freetime offered at a very good price, only to discover it was Freeview Freetimereceiver, not a Freesat one. Indeed, it now seems that Panasonic offer very few if any Freesat TVs in its current line up.I’m therefore posting this to warn others that not every machine has a satellite tuner. And if a major brand like Panasonic has indeed pulled the plug on Freesat, then this must be a concern for the future of the platform. I hope that I am wrong because I have been a supporter of Freesat since it was launched, and so far as I can see, it still offers significant benefits over its competitors

    I think you are being misled by the retailers description. Freetime is a Freesat term, nothing to do with Freeview. In fact if you look at the detailed spec on the John Lewis pages it does indeed refer to Freeview Freetime, but then goes on in the detail to specify…Freeview HD, Freesat HD and freetime. Poor marketing by the retailer.

  8. admin said: …Freesat has reached a point where the majority (if not all) of freely available satellite channels are now on the platform, which should be regarded as a huge success and ultimately what keeps the platform afloat (just!)…

    On another post you dismissed my post by saying that Freesat do not regard adding channels as the secret to success. Also Freesat, and this site, are regularly trumpeting the growth figures for Freesat takeup, but now you say the platform is afloat (just!).
    Seems to me, and I’m not unique in voicing this, is that Freesat need to get lots of users which in turn will attract channels looking for revenue from ads. In Germany for example the Disney channel has gone Free To Air because they looked at the huge potential audience viewing figures for it. The problem, as I see it, is that Freesat are in the main getting users, like myself, who can only get Freeview Lite and are unhappy with that, or those who are coming off of a SKY sub. Any potential customers who might be attracted to the platform based simply on its excellent performance and ease of use may be put off by reading, as I did today, of a new user complaining that the brochure spec says FF at 64x and slo-mo. Neither is true, yet it appears that the brochure has not been reprinted since launch almost two years ago. This is typical of Freesats customer care including those many bugs and stupid design points raised in this and other sites that go unfixed, and no comment by Freesat.
    Get the audience and you will get the top quality channels.

  9. pollensa1946 said: On another post you dismissed my post by saying that Freesat do not regard adding channels as the secret to success.Also Freesat, and this site, are regularly trumpeting the growth figures for Freesat takeup, but now you say the platform is afloat (just!).

    No, that isn’t what I meant. I suspect that Freesat don’t generally mind what quality the channels are, just as long as they pay their fees (and neither should customers on that basis). This isn’t to knock what Freesat are ultimately aiming for, but to suggest that in the early days of a platform, which this still is, the more channels, regardless of taste, is most welcome. Freesat’s sales figures are very good and should be celebrated, but it cannot be ignored that Freesat isn’t making a profit at the moment and do generally have to evolve to stand a chance against the competitors.

  10. admin said: …I suspect that Freesat don’t generally mind what quality the channels are, just as long as they pay their fees (and neither should customers on that basis)…

    I’m not over much concerned what channels Freesat add of whatever quality. I object to having to wade through page after page of rubbish in the full guide to find the one I’m interested in, so I delete channels. That’s in the absence of an immediately accessible, and thus user friendly, Favourites facility. Result is I have one Freesat HDR and three Freesat-from-SKY boxes which I would like to swap for new Freesat boxes. Probably another HDR and two HBs. However, no sale until Freesat deliver the UI that I and lots of others have repeatedly asked for. If they do deliver an excellent leading edge end-user experience then the box sales might just leap up, the audience figures go higher and channels decide that Freesat is an attractive platform to be on.

  11. pollensa1946 said: I’m not over much concerned what channels Freesat add of whatever quality.I object to having to wade through page after page of rubbish in the full guide to find the one I’m interested in, so I delete channels.That’s in the absence of an immediately accessible, and thus user friendly, Favourites facility.Result is I have one Freesat HDR and three Freesat-from-SKY boxes which I would like to swap for new Freesat boxes. Probably another HDR and two HBs.However, no sale until Freesat deliver the UI that I and lots of others have repeatedly asked for.If they do deliver an excellent leading edge end-user experience then the box sales might just leap up, the audience figures go higher and channels decide that Freesat is an attractive platform to be on.

    I agree with you there, a tailored guide would be fantastic to avoid all the channels you are not interested in. The issue (pure guess) is likely to be that the contractual agreement with the channels is for an allocated slot within the TV guide and by allowing users an easy access favourites guide, it further limits their presence to gain an audience. Manhattan have a favourites option, but suspect that was slipped through and is unlikely to be available on their Freetime offering later in the year.

  12. pollensa1946 said: I think you are being misled by the retailers description. Freetime is a Freesat term, nothing to do with Freeview.

    That’s what I thought, but I do believe that Panasonic’s current range of Freetime TVs are now Freeview only. Check out the TX-42AS650B for example – on Panasonic’s own website, there is no reference to Freesat with this model, and the Freetime home page illustration shows a Freeview logo where the Freesat logo used to be. If this machine and others does indeed have a Freesat tuner, then why would Panasonic remove all reference to it in their specifications?

  13. Lawrence Pearce said: … I do believe that Panasonic’s current range of Freetime TVs are now Freeview only. Check out the TX-42AS650B for example – on Panasonic’s own website, there is no reference to Freesat with this model, and the Freetime home page illustration shows a Freeview logo where the Freesat logo used to be…

    You are absolutely correct, even the John Lewis website concurs with that. Panny appear to have withdrawn from Freesat after a very short flirtation. Question is why are they using the term “freetime” when Freesat claim that as their own.

  14. After visiting a number of sites my reading of the situation is that the Panny TV does NOT have a satellite input, but is using only the freetime software component of Freesat to get OD programs from the internet. A close look shows that they have even modified it to use the coloured buttons on the R/C.

  15. This is very confusing isn’t it, as the Panasonic website lists the Freetime televisions under ‘Freesat HD’ alone on the search. Also the picture of Freetime shows the ‘now and next’ guide which surely it shouldn’t!

  16. There’s definitely some weird stuff going on with Panasonic TVs. It’s now very hard to tell which models have satellite tuners without looking into the detailed specs, and I don’t know whether even these models are Freesat compliant, or whether they simply have free to air DVB S2 tuners. Why don’t they use the Freesat logo, so that buyers can easily identify the model they want?

  17. stonedimmaculate1962 said:
    Quite on Freesat at the moment, are they closing down.

    1) Do you mean *quiet*?
    2) Where, what, when is it quiet?

  18. Oh my! I spelt quiet wrong. I do apologise to all concerned. And yes I do believe it’s a lot more quiet and less info coming out of Freesat these days, or am I just coming down with that Ant & Dec virus that was going around a few weeks back.

    Oh well, a hot Lemon Beecham and back to bed.

  19. stonedimmaculate1962 said:
    Oh my! I spelt quiet wrong. I do apologise to all concerned. And yes I do believe it’s a lot more quiet and less info coming out of Freesat these days, or am I just coming down with that Ant & Dec virus that was going around a few weeks back.
    Oh well, a hot Lemon Beecham and back to bed.

    TruTV launches on the 4th August

  20. Ian Vallender said:
    too bad Doctor Who The Day of the Doctor was the last BBC Programme in 3D i loved Day of the Doctor watching it in3D and yes it was my pick for best show too bad BBC3 is closing down to be replaced by BBC 1+1 i’d say why bother? what BBC needs is a channel showing some of their classic TV Shows it’ll be a great replacement for BBC3! Peter Capaldi has some big boots to fill coming off the back of Matt Smith I hope the writers and the BBC pull off another award winning series!

    If you are looking for classic TV on Freesat there does seem to be quite a good selection. The Horror Channel is currently showing the classic Dr Who stories from the first 7 Doctors. In addition they are showing Hammer House of Horror and they were showing The Invaders. CBS have the original Star Trek and Star Trek Next Generation (remastered).

    Even the BBC have shown some classic TV often on BBC 4. They have just finished showing Edge of Darkness.

Comments are closed.