Join Freesat


eToro - Be part of the social trading success


Jan 10 2012

Freesat today confirmed it is partnering with Manhattan as a manufacturer of its next generation set-top boxes due to launch early this year.

In September last year, Freesat confirmed that Sagemcom and Humax would also be producing the new boxes.

This is great news for Manhattan (and Freesat) and much deserved following the success of the Manhattan Plaza DS-100 and HD-S receivers; both of which have proven incredibly reliable, useable and great value for money.

Unfortunately the delayed HDR-S receiver will not include the next generation service when launched, due to the processing power required, shame.

60 Responses to “Manhattan confirmed as Freesat partner for next gen receivers”

  1. Richard Crichton Says:

    This is very good new for Manhattan who deserve wider distribution among the main specialist retailers and supermarkets who in the main seem to ignore the brand with a few exceptions. I am a big fan of the HD-S with it’s one button non Freesat mode and eight favourites lists. I’m not sure what the next generation service is though. Will it include the much delayed YouView thingy or is it different again?

      Quote

  2. Wouter Says:

    What do they mean by next-gen? With TVs I understand transition to new technology, e.g. to OLED, more smart TV, etc.

    As for these freesat boxes, what would be the next-gen aspect? (I don’t see more hd space and/or more channels as next-gen)

      Quote

  3. admin Says:

    Wouter said:
    What do they mean by next-gen? With TVs I understand transition to new technology, e.g. to OLED, more smart TV, etc.

    As for these freesat boxes, what would be the next-gen aspect? (I don’t see more hd space and/or more channels as next-gen)

    It is more to do with the service architecture and ability to future-proof as much as possible, plus add a few bits previously not considered with the original spec. It might also be to avoid situations again as found with Panasonic not wanting to add on-demand services and others with their poor support. It is a good move by Freesat to essentially start the tendering process again for manufacturers. There is some old info here:

    http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/freesat-g2-spec-diseqc-single-cable-pvr-on-demand
    http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/ocean-blue-teases-freesat-g2-features

      Quote

  4. Lee S Says:

    With the delay for the release of the HDR-S one can only assume that perhaps they are considering the next gen specs as a feature for this model. It would seem silly to start thinking about developing an altogether new model when the HDR-S hasn’t been released yet. If the HD-S is anything to go by, then i’m happy to wait just a bit longer if it is to include the new specs.

    Is the Samsung SMT-S7800 the only model that is future proof in the current Freesat range? I just wish Technisat would jump on board with a version of their Technisat ISIO Digicorder with internet capabilities. This would be fantastic on Freesat and rival the likes of Humax as a high end product.

      Quote

  5. Me Says:

    admin said: I…….. It might also be to avoid situations again as found with Panasonic not wanting to add on-demand services and others with their poor support. It is a good move by Freesat to essentially start the tendering process again for manufacturers. ……

    Don’t forget LG – there dropped support way back with BBC iplayer (altough did offer a Humax Box to it’s customers)

    and Freesat… what did they do with the situation found with Panasonic ?

    NOTHING !!!!!

    although they did mislead folks with their advertising……

    I for one, will not be purchasing any more Freesat equipment with the feedback I have received from Panasonic, and Freesat.

      Quote

  6. steven Says:

    i have not long had a panisonic freesat tv will i get an update for the next generation freesat on my set its only 9 months old dos anybody know pls thanx

      Quote

  7. Freesatter Says:

    What was supposed to be included in the Original Spec…. ?

    Surely all receivers displaying the Freesat logo should be capable of receiving the same services (except of SD devices not being capable of receiving On Demand services due to lack of internet port).

    Is there a case against Freesat for those who have equipment not capable of receiving all of the Freesat services.

    (i.e. LG TV owners, panasonic etc….)

      Quote

  8. Lawrence Pearce Says:

    So what’s going on then? Is Manhattan the sole Freesat partner, implying some kind of advantage or preferrential treatment? Or does this simply mean that all three brands (Manhattan, Sagemcom and Humax) are joint partners, all of whom are / will be working closely with Freesat?

      Quote

  9. Patrick Says:

    LG made a big mistake in dropping freesat as a platform for their TV`s,I for one have a LF7700 by LG a dual platform TV and was given a Humax box as they could not get their freesat receiver to accept ethernet b/band.Freesat is a far better platform than Freeview as there are more channels + HD and is not confined by bandwidth as Freeview is.Freesat is the future ,make no mistake.

      Quote

  10. Me Says:

    steven said:
    ihavenotlonghada panisonicfreesat tv willigetan updatefor thenextgenerationfreesat onmyset itsonly 9months old dosanybodyknowpls thanx

    My Panasonic G20 was a 2010 model, and thats not going to get an update for ITV player yet any other devices, despite Freesat announcing in 2009 that ITV player was going to be part of it’s services.

    So very much doubt it with any panasonic product.

    You could try contacting Simon Coventry (Simon.Coventry@eu.panasonic.com), but his response will be something like……

    ” I can confirm that the inclusion of the ability to access on demand services such as ITV player was and still remains an optional part of the Freesat specification. This means that there is no obligation for us to provide such services. Freesat have always known this whilst advertising their services. ”

    which was his response when I queried that my 2010 panasonic TV was manufactured after Freesat had started advertising ITV player as being part of their services.

    Freesats response is no different.

    Even though many Freesat HD TV owners were expecting to see ITV player on their TVs http://poll.pollcode.com/hzah

      Quote

  11. yep Says:

    Patrick said:
    LG made a big mistake in dropping freesat as a platform for their TV`s,I for one have a LF7700 by LG a dual platform TV and was given a Humax box as they could not get their freesat receiver to accept ethernet b/band.Freesat is a far better platform than Freeview as there are more channels + HD and is not confined by bandwidth as Freeview is.Freesat is the future ,make no mistake.

    So why isn’t panasonic offering a similar product due to them not being able to deliver ITV player, BoxOffice 365 (and the Freeview Internet services)?

      Quote

  12. admin Says:

    Lawrence Pearce said:
    So what’s going on then? Is Manhattan the sole Freesat partner, implying some kind of advantage or preferrential treatment? Or does this simply mean that all three brands (Manhattan, Sagemcom and Humax) are joint partners, all of whom are / will be working closely with Freesat?

    It just means that Manhattan, Sagemcom and Humax have so far confirmed they will manufacture the next generation receivers for Freesat; there may be more to follow when contracts are signed.

    Technology in this market (especially on-demand) moves on so quickly that it isn’t possible for receivers to continue supporting all new services.

      Quote

  13. yep Says:

    Lawrence Pearce said:
    So what’s going on then? Is Manhattan the sole Freesat partner, implying some kind of advantage or preferrential treatment? Or does this simply mean that all three brands (Manhattan, Sagemcom and Humax) are joint partners, all of whom are / will be working closely with Freesat?

    we will end up in additon to the Freesat services already in-place
    (Freesat, Freesat HD, Freesat + and Freesat for Humax), Freesat for Manhattan !

      Quote

  14. Mark Aberfan Aerials Says:

    Its great to see Manhatten & Humax on board for the next gen of Freesat,( I hope Echostar join them soon)
    Its also a big dissapointment that two of my favorite brands have let us down with freesat support, Panasonic turning their backs on early adopters & LG getting into bed with sky, but to be fair to LG at least they met their obligations before they bailed out.
    Despite being a major fan of Freesat, I have to say I think the blame has to go to Freesat or their legal team for not making full platform support as part of the contract, I dont mean never ending support, what I mean is a min standard for gen1 & the same for the next gen . It is not acceptable to market a platform/service saying it does XY&Z & then allow manufacturers to not bother meeting that min level of service. I understand that the platform is young & mistakes have been made but I hope the lesson has been learned & Freesat can avoid misleading & dissapointing their customers again.

    Mark Aberfan Aerials

      Quote

  15. stu Says:

    I personally think Sagemcom should be dropped as there update support is pants.. still waiting for the update for itvplayer hasent happened yet and i believe never will.
    I did compose a email to them about 3 months ago with no reply ever lol never mind i suppose this hd box will pack in , in the end then i shall buy a Humax box. I did just also purchase a Goodmans freeview plus box as its a fraction of the price of a freesat plus box? and its been great

      Quote

  16. Mark Aberfan Aerials Says:

    Hi stu,

    I had a customer who wanted a sagem box , I dont sell them but the customer insisted so I got one in for him, Three months later it went wrong & the performance I had to go through to get it sorted was beyond belief (including faxing documents to India because they couldn’t deal with email !) once they had returned a working replacement I told the customer that if he had another fault during the g’tee period I would refund him & take a loss on it as I didn’t want to navigate the return procedure again !,
    My father wanted to go digital, so when visiting him I visited the local ASDA & picked up four sagem set top freeview boxes & all was well , then a couple of years later I got a phone call, all of them were stuck in a update loop, I found out that they hadn’t got Freeview certification & failed to meet the standards set by freeview , they all went in the bin & were replaced with a decent brand.

    Never again is my attitude to this company, they would have to do something remarkable for me to change my mind !

    I’m sorry that you also got caught by this unprofessional company.

    Mark Aberfan Aerials

      Quote

  17. Brian mcNaughton Says:

    If they are improving the Humax pvr then make the delete a program much faster. It takes a long time to delete a program especially a HD one.

      Quote

  18. steve 1 Says:

    I noticed sometimes when I set the humax there is no option to record in hd it just says record and watch and a other option worse things happen at sea

    Brian mcNaughton said:
    If they are improving the Humax pvr then make the delete a program much faster. It takes a long time to delete a program especially a HD one.

      Quote

  19. Zub Says:

    I got the Manhattan HD box for my in laws, it’s a corker.

      Quote

  20. Kate Says:

    Wouter said:

    As for these freesat boxes, what would be the next-gen aspect? (I don’t see more hd space and/or more channels as next-gen)

    It enables subscription services via IP.

      Quote

  21. DavidDb Says:

    Hopes Technisat do something exciting – I have supplied the Technisat HDSF to many households in the family and the recording to external USB drive is really VERY GOOD and great value – would buy again

    if it was low cost two tuners – sold

      Quote

  22. admin Says:

    DavidDb said:
    Hopes Technisat do something exciting –I have supplied the Technisat HDSF to many households in the family and the recording to external USB drive is really VERY GOOD and great value –would buy again

    if it was low cost two tuners – sold

    Have a suspicion that TechniSat won’t be involved with the G2 spec, but might be proved wrong.

      Quote

  23. Richard Crichton Says:

    Kate said: It enables subscription services via IP.

    Like Netflix for £6 a month perhaps. Only trouble is I would probably exceed my data allowance if I got that. Still anything that takes money away from the Dark Lord has to be a good thing in my opinion.

      Quote

  24. Lee S Says:

    I already have a Lovefilm trial via internet on my blu-ray player. I only have a 40GB download allowance and have watched a fair few films and i’m well within the allowance still. Lovefilm is £9.99 per month unlimited films to watch online. The software is a bit buggy at times but the quality is quite good. Lets hope Freesat nail the G2 boxes with excellent operating software and make sure they have good relationships and compatibility with these third parties. Other satellite operators will be very worried ;)

      Quote

  25. Richard Crichton Says:

    I had a Love Film account years ago and when I cancelled it they kept taking my money.Not sure what my download allowance is at the moment. I see Netflix are doing unlimited films and tv episodes for £6 a month and a one months free trial so I would probably go with that if my Samsung Blu-ray had an app for it. Trouble is if the Dark Lords reaction. He could buy Netflix and kill it off like he did with Virgin One.

      Quote

  26. Richard Crichton Says:

    Lee S said:
    I already have a Lovefilm trial via internet on my blu-ray player. I only have a 40GB download allowance and have watched a fair few films and i’m well within the allowance still. Lovefilm is £9.99 per month unlimited films to watch online. The software is a bit buggy at times but the quality is quite good. Lets hope Freesat nail the G2 boxes with excellent operating software and make sure they have good relationships and compatibility with these third parties. Other satellite operators will be very worried

    I have checked with my ISP and I have a 40GB download allowance too but that dosen’t give me all that much to be honest. 8hrs of iPlayer HD over a month isn’t that much plus there are all the other things using data like internet radio etc.
    Based on average file sizes – you can get this for 40GB.
    Webpages 10000
    Digital pictures 500
    MP3s 500
    YouTube 20 hours
    iTunes HD(1080p)trailer 20 trailers
    iPlayer SD 20 hours
    iPlayer HD 8 hours
    30 min Spotify Free 30 hours

      Quote

  27. Richard Crichton Says:

    Lee S said:
    I already have a Lovefilm trial via internet on my blu-ray player. I only have a 40GB download allowance and have watched a fair few films and i’m well within the allowance still. Lovefilm is £9.99 per month unlimited films to watch online. The software is a bit buggy at times but the quality is quite good. Lets hope Freesat nail the G2 boxes with excellent operating software and make sure they have good relationships and compatibility with these third parties. Other satellite operators will be very worried

    40GB only gives you 8hrs of iPlayer HD or 20 hrs of SD according to TalkTalk so it would be easy to go over the allowance.

      Quote

  28. Lee S Says:

    just go unlimited if that’s the case, it doesn’t cost that much more if you are a high data user.

      Quote

  29. Neil Says:

    I spoke to Netflix on Wed eve on their UK contact number (0800 096 6379), the agent who answered was over in the US and really interested to learn a bit more about how Freesat offered on demand viewing to it’s UK customer base. He said that as they’ve just launched over here their US arm was taking customer feedback from the UK with interest.

    Whatever your opinion about pay VOD services on Freesat and as Richard says in post 23 then this service, along with Lovefilm, have the potential to really increase Freesat’s popularity and offer something value added that not only weakens the Dark Lord’s monopoly but will provide in the medium term, I’m told, much newer Hollywood Blockbusters as they are going after Sky’s exclusivity contracts.

      Quote

  30. steve 1 Says:

    Echostar hds-600rs sling loader tv anywhere freesat+ recorder £179.99 amazon.good price

      Quote

  31. admin Says:

    Neil said:
    I spoke to Netflix on Wed eve on their UK contact number (0800 096 6379), the agent who answered was over in the US and really interested to learn a bit more about how Freesat offered on demand viewing to it’s UK customer base. He said that as they’ve just launched over here their US arm was taking customer feedback from the UK with interest.

    Whatever your opinion about pay VOD services on Freesat and as Richard says in post 23 then this service, along with Lovefilm, have the potential to really increase Freesat’s popularity and offer something value added that not only weakens the Dark Lord’s monopoly but will provide in the medium term, I’m told, much newer Hollywood Blockbusters as they are going after Sky’s exclusivity contracts.

    Would agree with you that services such as these which would never be destined for Freesat as a free service would be great as additions for pay-tv; but Freesat would need to make it absolutely clear. Unfortunately though it is very hard to promote a platform as free, with add-ons at a cost.

      Quote

  32. steve 1 Says:

    Did you bin my post admin I thought I was no 29

      Quote

  33. admin Says:

    steve 1 said:
    Did you bin my post admin I thought I was no 29

    Back again now, it was a problem with the third party linking tool for the site.

      Quote

  34. Lee S Says:

    admin said: Would agree with you that services such as these which would never be destined for Freesat as a free service would be great as additions for pay-tv; but Freesat would need to make it absolutely clear. Unfortunately though it is very hard to promote a platform as free, with add-ons at a cost.

    However, I would say that from the title “Freesat” this means free satellite tv and nothing more or less. On demand services beyond the typical terrestrial and public funded channels on Freesat (bbc iplayer, itv player) I think they would have to explain that these may charge a small premium. I think it should also be made clear that these premium services operate through the internet as an addition to any free satellite tv already received and do not require the use of a satellite. For a typical consumer who just wishes to purchase a product in order to obtain ‘free tv’ through a satellite, I think any future or G2 box that contains premium on demand services should still be sold on the basis that all channels received through the satellite dish are ‘free’ thus should have no bearing on the platform and how it is promoted.

      Quote

  35. steve 1 Says:

    Its freesat related this time!

    admin said: Back again now, it was a problem with the third party linking tool for the site.

      Quote

  36. Russ Says:

    Richard Crichton said: I have checked with my ISP and I have a 40GB download allowance too but that dosen’t give me all that much to be honest. 8hrs of iPlayer HD over a month isn’t that much plus there are all the other things using data like internet radio etc.
    Based on average file sizes – you can get this for 40GB.
    Webpages10000
    Digital pictures500
    MP3s500
    YouTube20 hours
    iTunes HD(1080p)trailer20 trailers
    iPlayer SD20 hours
    iPlayer HD8 hours
    30 min Spotify Free30 hours

    I also use talk talk for my broadband on reading my broadband allowance it states, based on average file sizes – you can get all this for 40GB, so I assumed I could in fact download all those in the list above in my monthly allowance.

      Quote

  37. Neil Says:

    Lee S said: However, I would say that from the title “Freesat” this means free satellite tv and nothing more or less. On demand services beyond the typical terrestrial and public funded channels on Freesat (bbc iplayer, itv player) I think they would have to explain that these may charge a small premium. I think it should also be made clear that these premium services operate through the internet as an addition to any free satellite tv already received and do not require the use of a satellite. For a typical consumer who just wishes to purchase a product in order to obtain ‘free tv’ through a satellite, I think any future or G2 box that contains premium on demand services should still be sold on the basis that all channels received through the satellite dish are ‘free’ thus should have no bearing on the platform and how it is promoted.

    Lee I agree with you there (and also admin’s comments). These offerings are purely on-demand and Freesat should never offer linear pay encrypted services. Not that they can anyway as all STB’s don’t support the CA required to decrypt.

    I just think that Netflix, Box Office 365 and Lovefilm will all add that little bit of extra value to the platform to further tempt those thinking of dumping Sky “as they watch the odd movie only now and then” on to the platform.

      Quote

  38. Mark Aberfan Aerials Says:

    Hi Guys,

    I suppose we could look at it this way, my sons sony blu ray has love film demand 5 & bbc iplayer but all of those extras dont stop it being a great blu ray player ! ok I know a blu ray isn’t called a free ray but I think we are all smart enough to cope with a freesat box that can do other things !

    The trend seems to be for more added features / value & it looks like this will be the year of the smart tv, christ even tesco are at it with a technika 24″ smart tv available for bedroom / kitchen use .
    As long as these added features are a bonus to a solid base spec for g2 I see no harm in it, infact diversity should add to the platforms growth & strength.

    My son took out a lovefilm sub & I was suprised how much it get used, for a fiver the choice is vast & the quality is good.

    Mark Aberfan Aerials

      Quote

  39. steve 1 Says:

    Anyone on a budget humax 320gb foxsat for £189.99 @ argos

      Quote

  40. ?????? Says:

    What us Freesat’s priority ?

    Obtaining additional channels or providing VOD (box office 365) and Catchup services (BBC iplayer/ ITV player).

    What are their plans for 2012 ?

    What are their plans to ‘compensate’ those who purchased Freesat products that are unable to receive all of the Freesat services.

    I for one will not be purchasing any new equipment.

      Quote

  41. Richard Crichton Says:

    Mark Aberfan Aerials said:
    Hi Guys,

    I suppose we could look at it this way, my sons sony blu ray has love film demand 5 & bbc iplayer but all of those extras dont stop it being a great blu ray player ! ok I know a blu ray isn’t called a free ray but I think we are all smart enough to cope with a freesat box that can do other things !

    The trend seems to be for more added features / value & it looks like this will be the year of the smart tv, christ even tesco are at it with a technika 24″ smart tv available for bedroom / kitchen use .
    As long as these added features are a bonus to a solid base spec for g2 I see no harm in it, infact diversity should add to the platforms growth & strength.

    My son took out a lovefilm sub & I was suprised how much it get used, for a fiver the choice is vast & the quality is good.

    Mark Aberfan Aerials

    Well actually for £4.99 a month lovefilm only gives you 2 discs with no streaming. A rather expensive way of watching films. I can rent discs including Blu-rays from Blockbuster for 99p.

      Quote

  42. Neil Says:

    Mark: I think your right there. Connected TV’s were all big at IBC over in Amsterdam last September so was guessing it was only 6-12mths before these models hit high street shops. What strikes me is that the ‘penny has finally dropped’ with manufacturers who seem to be coming back to the real world in realising 3D isn’t as popular as they were all thinking in fantasy-land! In their quest to keep the sales churn going the next thing is selling Connected TV’s, I think some of the apps on these will be popular (eg catch up VOD) but not everything, interestingly a recent poll on the BBC Click programme revealed that the majority of new connected TV’s weren’t actually connected to the Internet in users homes!

    I think you’ve made a good point that the diversity factor offered by these services, not tried Lovefilm myself but was considering a while back subscribing to their BluRay/DVD postal service.

    #39 (??????): I’m sure the platform has lots lined up for this year but due to commercial confidentiality they won’t share this until they are ready to. I’m in the same boat that being a Panasonic user I don’t expect any VOD services to appear on my equipment but that’s just tough look for me I guess, I’ve got to take that on the chin!! My only hope that any pay-VOD services may have capex to invest in covering the full range of current products but very much doubt they’d make the investment.

      Quote

  43. Mark Aberfan Aerials Says:

    Richard Crichton said: Well actually for £4.99 a month lovefilm only gives you 2 discs with no streaming. A rather expensive way of watching films. I can rent discs including Blu-rays from Blockbuster for 99p.

    Hi Richard,

    I’ve checked & its £5.99 a month that he pays, he has online access to a massive libary of films, all without leaving the house, he has access to them on 3 devices, sony blu ray / xbox & his phone.
    People will choose what ever method suits them, you with your 99p blu rays, my son with his love film sub etc, to me the most imprortant thing is that they have the option, freesat is in a competetive market place & has to keep pace with what other platforms offer,
    Any money spent at lovefilm, blockbuster etc is denied to the monopoly in the market & that has to be good for choice & competition.

    Mark Aberfan Aerials

      Quote

  44. Mark Aberfan Aerials Says:

    Hi Neil,

    Re conected tv’s not being connected, I’ve found this & think that like freesat it is because for the most part its because the public are unaware of it & what it offers them, again like freesat, a few min explaining it often results in them wanting to use the service & connect up the tv.

    Mark Aberfan Aerials

      Quote

  45. peterhb Says:

    Mark:Agree with your comments re streaming services, but for our household we only watch films relatively infrequently so £6 a month would be a bit of an overkill. We would like to be able topay for downloads as and when.
    The issue of VOD services seems a bit of a nonsense with all the TV firms providing their own mix and no-one giving us all the main five services.Perhaps they are all vying with each other to find a product which gives them the best return.

      Quote

  46. Neil Says:

    Mark Aberfan Aerials said:
    Hi Neil,

    Re conected tv’s not being connected, I’ve found this & think that like freesat it is because for the most part its because the public are unaware of it & what it offers them, again like freesat, a few min explaining it often results in them wanting to use the service & connect up the tv.

    Mark Aberfan Aerials

    Think your right there although Freesat haven’t done a bad job at promoting iPlayer on their products so maybe the amount of connected Freesat STB’s is possibly a tad higher than corresponding connected TV’s? Is that true in your experience as you’ll be the one in the know?

      Quote

  47. Mark Aberfan Aerials Says:

    Hi Neil,

    Its true that Freesat have a higher hook up rate than smart tv’s, but this is probably because more freesat systems are installed by professionals, (but i do agree that freesat have pushed iplayer more than some rival platforms) Everyone thinks they can set up a tv & to a certain extent they can, but they often dont get the most/ best out of the kit they spent a lot of money on !
    Every Echostar we fit gets hooked up because the sling features require it, also most Echostar buyers tend to know a bit more about the kit they are buying.

    In the past there was a split between the freesat customers, the budget box customers often didnt bother hooking up & the Humax / Echostar customers were far more likely to connect, now the Humax /Echostar prices have fallen & the cheapest bush freesat pvr have been out of stock for a while, the second cheapest (bush 320 gb) is only £20 less than the 500gb Echostar, this has mixed things up a bit with the budget customers starting to buy the better kit.

    Mark Aberfan Aerials

      Quote

  48. sts Says:

    ?????? said: What us Freesat’s priority ?Obtaining additional channels or providing VOD (box office 365) and Catchup services (BBC iplayer/ ITV player).What are their plans for 2012 ?What are their plans to ‘compensate’ those who purchased Freesat products that are unable to receive all of the Freesat services.I for one will not be purchasing any new equipment.

    Freesat’s Prioroty is Humax, after all Humax got BBC iplayer first, only box to have ITV player & Box Office 365.

    Guessing 2012 will be similar to the previous years – release statements regarding services/channels and when not deliverable, blame anyone else but themselves.

    I’m glad I got rid of my LG Freesat TV, as Freesat wasn’t interested, and it took almost a year before LG started to offer Humax Boxes. (Strange, as the Receiver inside the LG was a Humax).

      Quote

  49. Richard Crichton Says:

    Mark Aberfan Aerials said: Hi Richard,

    I’ve checked & its £5.99 a month that he pays, he has online access to a massive libary of films, all without leaving the house, he has access to them on 3 devices, sony blu ray / xbox & his phone.
    People will choose what ever method suits them, you with your 99p blu rays, my son with his love film sub etc, to me the most imprortant thing is that they have the option, freesat is in a competetive market place & has to keep pace with what other platforms offer,
    Any money spent at lovefilm, blockbuster etc is denied to the monopoly in the market & that has to be good for choice & competition.

    Mark Aberfan Aerials

    I agree the choice is the thing. Just pointing out that lovefilm is relatively poor value for money. £5.99 only gives you 2hrs streaming per month which is enough for one film as long as it’s not LOTR or Dances With Wolves :-). Netflix UK in contrast is giving unlimited viewing for £5.99 a month on multiple devices and they are the big boys in the USA.

      Quote

  50. admin Says:

    Netflix coming to the UK is indeed the reason why Amazon bought Lovefilm, so they now need to start thinking about competing.

      Quote

  51. Mark Aberfan Aerials Says:

    Richard Crichton said: I agree the choice is the thing. Just pointing out that lovefilm is relatively poor value for money. £5.99 only gives you 2hrs streaming per month which is enough for one film as long as it’s not LOTR or Dances With Wolves . Netflix UK in contrast is giving unlimited viewing for £5.99 a month on multiple devices and they are the big boys in the USA.

    Hi Richard,

    The deal you quote is the one being offered now, my son gets unlimited for £5.99 which is a bargain, which he has had for a while now.

    Mark Aberfan Aerials

      Quote

  52. sts Says:

    “<blockquote cite=

    Manufacturers are working on software for ITV player however we don’t have a time frame for this.”

    Above quote from Freesat today from their Live Chat Agent (via website)

    If no timescale, why did they announce Autumn 2010, and why stating ‘Coming Soon’ on channel 999 ?

      Quote

  53. sj Says:

    As usual,, many posts aren’t topical to the actual feed….

      Quote

  54. admin Says:

    sj said:
    As usual,, many posts aren’t topical to the actual feed….

    This one might have spiralled out of control, but I feel that most stay on topic with some tight control.

      Quote

  55. sts Says:

    admin said: This one might have spiralled out of control, but I feel that most stay on topic with some tight control.

    looks like posts from #23 appear to be off topic, but that may just be my opinion.

      Quote

  56. steve 1 Says:

    It makes a change from me being off topic !

    sts said: looks like posts from #23 appear to be off topic, but that may just be my opinion.

      Quote

  57. Neil Says:

    sts said: looks like posts from #23 appear to be off topic, but that may just be my opinion.

    It’s all related to G2 with Netflix being a potential addition I suppose???

      Quote

  58. steve 1 Says:

    Good news admin we should be getting another hd channel this year the downside is its going to be qvc hd can’t wait!

      Quote

  59. Richard Crichton Says:

    Neil said: It’s all related to G2 with Netflix being a potential addition I suppose???

    Absolutely.

      Quote

  60. Richard Crichton Says:

    admin said:
    Netflix coming to the UK is indeed the reason why Amazon bought Lovefilm, so they now need to start thinking about competing.

    Indeed. Netflix UK is streaming only. No discs by post so to compete Lovefilm need to do a streaming only deal.

      Quote

Leave a Reply

Freesat RSS Feed Want the latest Freesat news?
You should subscribe to our RSS Feed, as you'll get all the latest Freesat news, reviews and information!