Join Freesat


Jan 16 2014

New Freesat App puts you in control of your TVAs the nation hunkers down for some great New Year TV, Freesat, the subscription free TV service, has today announced the launch of its new Freesat App for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch – available now on the App Store.

The app acts as a TV guide for all free TV viewers, so whether it’s enjoying brand new British drama such as Call the Midwife or Mr Selfridge, or chasing away the January blues with Birds of a Feather, everyone will now have the power at their fingertips to plan how and what to watch, and for Freetime customers the chance to control their TVs.

Unlike other TV apps on the market, the Freesat App doesn’t just act as a guide to what’s on TV. It also works as a companion to Freesat’s award winning Freetime service and enhances Freetime’s key features. In the app you can look at the Roll Back TV Guide which lets you check out the last seven days of TV to watch programmes you may have missed, and the app also offers TV recommendations on what to watch via Showcase – allowing you to browse through programme picks for the week ahead and set reminders to view.

When linked with Freesat’s award winning Freetime service, the app, which supports iOS6 and iOS7, is also a remote control and lets you set recordings remotely from wherever you are – at home and out and about.

Viewers of free TV in the UK, whether they have Freesat or not, will be able to search and find programmes from the UK’s top free On Demand players including BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5 – all through their iOS device. And Freetime viewers can launch On Demand programmes from the app direct to their TV.

Commenting on the launch, Emma Scott, Managing Director of Freesat, said:

The new Freesat App is, we believe, a game changer for the free TV market. January is naturally a popular month for staying in – so it’s perfect timing to make the most of all the great new TV programmes that are on via the Freesat App. Making this free app available to all UK free TV viewers fits with our core goal at Freesat of opening up fantastic subscription free TV.

The Freesat App lets you manage how and when you watch all of the great free TV shows available on Freesat, at home, at work or on the bus. Whether that’s planning or remote recording your favourite programmes, such as The Voice or The Bletchley Circle, or making sure you never miss a new episode of The Taste, this new app helps you make the most of what’s on.

At home, the Freesat App allows you to use your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch as a simple, easy and fun to use remote control, which features a much more natural and seamless way of controlling the TV. We believe this new app is going to change the way people explore and discover television shows, as well as manage how they view them.

The new app is being marketed as ‘Your clever little telly app from Freesat’ and the launch is being supported by an ‘unboxing’ video starring TV presenter Rick Edwards. Freesat will continue to evolve the new app, making it available on more platforms and devices over time.

The Freesat App is available free from the App Store on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch or at www.AppStore.com/Freesat.

Freesat’s Freetime boxes are manufactured by Humax and are available to buy from retailers including John Lewis, Currys PC World, Richer Sounds and a range of independents with prices starting from £96.

FAQs: The Freesat App

1. What is the Freesat App?
The Freesat App gives television audiences the power to plan and manage how and what to watch on TV using an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. When using Freesat’s Freetime service, the app is also a remote control and lets you set recordings remotely from wherever you are – at home and out and about.

2. What does the Freesat App do?
As well as turning an iPhone, iPad of iPad Touch into a simple, easy and fun to use remote control, Freesat viewers can browse programme recommendations, catch-up on TV they may have missed and set recordings so they don’t miss their favourite programmes in the future.

3. What does the Freesat App do that’s new?
At its simplest, the Freesat App is a really easy to use television guide on your mobile device. The Roll Back TV Guide lets you check out the last seven days of TV to watch programmes you may have missed, and the app offers recommendations on what to watch via Showcase – allowing you to browse through programme picks for the week ahead and set reminders to view. Viewers of free TV in the UK, whether they have Freesat or not, will be able to search and find programmes from the UK’s top On Demand players on their iPhones and iPads, including BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand 5 – all through a single portal.

4. Why are you launching the Freesat App now?
The Freesat App has been designed to make it easier for viewers to find something great to watch. Making this free app available to UK TV viewers fits with our core goal at Freesat of delivering fantastic subscription free satellite TV. It’s always been part of our product roadmap as part of our next generation Freetime service to launch our app.

5. How can I get the Freesat App?
The Freesat App is free and can be downloaded from the iTunes App Store here www.AppStore.com/Freesat.

6. Can I link the Freesat App with any Freesat box?
Anyone can use the app as a TV Guide. To access the full range of features on the new Freesat App, users need to link to their broadband connected Freesat with a Freetime set top box and pair it with the app.

7. How long does it take to link the app to a Freesat box?
The process of connecting the app to a Freesat box is almost instant; viewers just need to be logged on to the same WiFi network as their Freetime box and follow the simple set-up instructions. For Freetime PVR users to remote record, simply register for a Freesat ID via the app and follow the pairing instructions.

129 Responses to “New Freesat App puts you in control of your TV”

  1. Gordon S Valentine Says:

    The links to the app, don’t work :(.

      Quote

  2. Tom Foley Says:

    Try the direct link http://www.AppStore.com/Freesat

      Quote

  3. admin Says:

    I can’t find it online as I don’t have iTunes and there doesn’t appear to be a search facility without, but it is available via the app store direct from your iphone. Enjoy.

      Quote

  4. Steve Says:

    It’s on iTunes now. looks good :)

      Quote

  5. Neil Says:

    A great development by Freesat, will have a play with this myself. Levels the playing field across platforms too. :)

      Quote

  6. David Says:

    What about Android, it as big if not bigger than iOS.?

      Quote

  7. admin Says:

    David said:
    What aboutAndroid, it as big if not bigger than iOS.?

    It is, but it doesn’t operate a single standard which makes it much harder to develop for; as you’ll see with many apps launched, they tend to sort iOS first. It is in the pipeline, but Freesat are going to use customer feedback to help develop it.

      Quote

  8. Jonathan Says:

    Searching on the iPhone app store doesn’t find it. I had to purchase it in iTunes on my mac, then it was available to download in Purchased on the iPhone.

      Quote

  9. admin Says:

    Jonathan said:
    Searching on the iPhone app store doesn’t find it. I had to purchase it in iTunes on my mac, then it was available to download in Purchased on the iPhone.

    It is free, no cost! Just search from your iPhone, finds it no problem?

      Quote

  10. xhozt Says:

    admin said: Android

    Thats a total copout man .. Android takes just about the same amount of work as IOS .

      Quote

  11. admin Says:

    xhozt said: Thats a total copout man .. Android takes just about the same amount of work as IOS .

    If you want it working on multiple Android platforms, it takes significantly longer, trust me, I’ve done it!

      Quote

  12. admin Says:

      Quote

  13. Jonathan Says:

    Got it!!

      Quote

  14. Doug Says:

    Could they make this app available in the french iTunes store, so we can get it too ??

      Quote

  15. Lee S Says:

    admin said: If you want it working on multiple Android platforms, it takes significantly longer, trust me, I’ve done it!

    Agree. There are so many different versions and variations of android that not all devices can be supported. I can only see the app reaching high end smart phones on the latest version of android such as the galaxy s4 and htc one etc.

      Quote

  16. RichardC Says:

    Nice to see Freesat moving forward but personally useless as I don’t have an i device or leave equipment on standby when I’m out.

      Quote

  17. Wouter Says:

    Actually, if you follow the latest guidelines of developing apps on Android, it does not make it a lot more complicated. A well thought-out design is able to deal with flexible screen sizes, and frankly this is the main variation on android, when developing an app that doesn’t consume all resources (from a gaming point of view, it is of course more complicated, dealing with difference performance levels etc.)

    In any case, great they develop an app, but unfortunately a big fail that android is completely ignored.

    In the old days, iOS was the first platform to develop, but this is no longer the case really (with maybe a few exceptions only).

    (sorry for my rant, just really annoyed that nowadays a few companies still make this crucial mistake of ignoring a platform completely, especially considering its market share.)

      Quote

  18. RichardC Says:

    Wouter said:
    Actually, if you follow the latest guidelines of developing apps on Android, it does not make it a lot more complicated. A well thought-out design is able to deal with flexible screen sizes, and frankly this is the main variation on android, when developing an app that doesn’t consume all resources (from a gaming point of view, it is of course more complicated, dealing with difference performance levels etc.)
    In any case, great they develop an app, but unfortunately a big fail that android is completely ignored.
    In the old days, iOS was the first platform to develop, but this is no longer the case really (with maybe a few exceptions only).
    (sorry for my rant, just really annoyed that nowadays a few companies still make this crucial mistake of ignoring a platform completely, especially considering its market share.)

    Don’t think they are ignoring it just not ready yet.
    And what about windows phone which has a growing market share?

      Quote

  19. Kevin McFarlane Says:

    iOS was first to mass market with the app concept and still has the mindshare, so it gets first call. That’s just the way it is. If you’re moaning about Android, what about people like me who are on Windows Phone? And not even 8, 7.x!

      Quote

  20. RichardC Says:

    UK market share as of Sept 2013. Android 58.4% Apple 27% Windows 11.4% according to Kantarworldpanel.

    Your right about the mind share broadcasters still refer to ipads and iphones when they should say tablets and smartphones.

    My phone is 7.5

      Quote

  21. ChrisS Says:

    Not available for first gen iPads. :-(

      Quote

  22. dave Says:

    RichardC said: Don’t think they are ignoring it just not ready yet.
    And what about windows phone which has a growing market share?

    Not to mention those of us that don’t have any kind of smart phone or iSomething: What about a basic web version that will work from any browser. (Those of us who don’t worship at the holy church of Apple can live without all the swipey stuff. We just want to use our laptops.)

      Quote

  23. Mike Says:

    ChrisS said: Not available for first gen iPads.

    So not all iOS & hardware iterations supported? Sounds no different than what has been mentioned about to many versions of Android OS & hardware. Hmmm… definately sniffing a cop out…

      Quote

  24. RichardC Says:

    dave said: Not to mention those of us that don’t have any kind of smart phone or iSomething: What about a basic web version that will work from any browser. (Those of us who don’t worship at the holy church of Apple can live without all the swipey stuff. We just want to use our laptops.)

    There is software called BlueStacks which lets android apps run on a windows pc. The youview app works on my vista pc so when Freesat deliver the droid app
    it should also work.

      Quote

  25. dave Says:

    Thanks for that: I’ve also been looking to see if there’s an iPad emulator for Windows, but one can imagine Apple wouldn’t be at all happy about that..!

    I’ve just been looking at the FreeSat web site, and of course there’s already a EPG on it and facilities to register a userid and pair your box. You’d think it would be (relatively) trivially easy to thence make the EPG “sling” to the box like YouTube does. Better still if one could interact with the Recording, though that’ll be a bit harder to do.

      Quote

  26. Chris Hawkins Says:

    Thanks for the heads-up this morning. Have been playing with app on both Iphone 5s and iPad Air – they have both paired and work flawlessly. Very impressed indeed – this is a game-changer for me and my family. It’s a shame (being picky now) that you can’t input text when searching in BBC iPlayer – you just have to use joystick controls to move around onscreen keyboard. Please, someone, let me know if I missed something!

    Really really pleased with this :-)

      Quote

  27. Dave Says:

    Its a big mistake not launching iOS and Android at the same time. Come on Freesat get your act together – Android is far bigger than iOS.

      Quote

  28. Dave Says:

    Freesat I love it a big thank you
    Gonna make freesat even better

    And some people still moaning don’t know what it would take to make people happy ………

      Quote

  29. Brian Says:

    Good idea but there are many more Android users than Apple so get working Freesat

      Quote

  30. ChrisS Says:

    I think the moans are from people who can’t get it! How can it make Freesat better if it’s not made available to most Freesat owners??

      Quote

  31. Julian B Says:

    Quick Question: If I buy a Humax HDR-1010S and pair it with this iOS app, will I be able to do the “remote” record programming etc even if I live in an area where FreeTime is not available (due to fairly poor ADSL speeds)? I live in Sussex and rarely get better than 3mbps.

    Not getting FreeTime is a pain, but I’d upgrade my PVR to a Humax HDR-1010S if I can do the remote record stuff. Many thanks!

      Quote

  32. RichardC Says:

    Julian B said:
    Quick Question: If I buy a Humax HDR-1010S and pair it with this iOS app, will I be able to do the “remote” record programming etc even if I live in an area where FreeTime is not available (due to fairly poor ADSL speeds)? I live in Sussex and rarely get better than 3mbps.
    Not getting FreeTime is a pain, but I’d upgrade my PVR to a Humax HDR-1010S if I can do the remote record stuff. Many thanks!

    What makes you think Freetime is not available. You only need 2mbps for BBC iplayer SD. You can certainly use the app if the box is connected to the internet and paired with your device.

      Quote

  33. admin Says:

    Julian B said:
    Quick Question: If I buy a Humax HDR-1010S and pair it with this iOS app, will I be able to do the “remote” record programming etc even if I live in an area where FreeTime is not available (due to fairly poor ADSL speeds)? I live in Sussex and rarely get better than 3mbps.
    Not getting FreeTime is a pain, but I’d upgrade my PVR to a Humax HDR-1010S if I can do the remote record stuff. Many thanks!

    Have 3-4 mbps and it works perfectly well; the only limitation would be the quality of the on-demand service, with the occasional buffering annoyance. You learn to allow a few minutes from pressing play then pausing, so it can ‘bank’ some download first!

      Quote

  34. Julian B Says:

    I can’t find the FreeTime ADSL speed checker now (but I am sure I used one several months ago?) and I thought that it said that my ADSL was too slow. Certainly my Apple TV box won’t work, so I feared that FreeTime would be the same. But it sounds like I might be OK, so will take the risk and get a HDR-1010S ;- ))

    Thanks all !

      Quote

  35. admin Says:

    Julian B said:
    I can’t find the FreeTime ADSL speed checker now (but I am sure I used one several months ago?) and I thought that it said that my ADSL was too slow. Certainly my Apple TV box won’t work, so I feared that FreeTime would be the same. But it sounds like I might be OK, so will take the risk and get a HDR-1010S ;- ))
    Thanks all !

    Try the on-demand services on your computer; if they work, then I don’t think there is any reason why they won’t work. Maybe not to the best, but should be ok. Unless of course you are abroad and therefore it isn’t working because of your IP location!!!

      Quote

  36. Neil Says:

    I’m sure to you Android users, me included, that it won’t be far away. Looking forward to playing with this on my partner’s iPhone at the weekend, will get it working on her Mum’s Freetime STB.

    admin: any news on the new HD genre and BBC HD LCN swaps?

      Quote

  37. Keith (original) Says:

    Would love to have this, but sadly my iOS devices only support iOS 5.1.1. They really didn’t ‘need’ to develop for 6.1 and above. Then again, I don’t have a 2nd gen Freesat box either. :-(

    From my experience, although certain things are easier, generally developing for Android is a lot more ‘fiddly’ and time-consuming than developing for iOS. The main issue is testing (the multitude of different Android devices and OS versions – but since Humax/Freesat don’t appear to test anything properly, that probably wouldn’t be a consideration. ;-(

    On the positive side, at least they didn’t start with a working 5.1.1 version then release a mandatory update that only supports iOS 6.1 and above – take note 4OD!

      Quote

  38. Graham Says:

    Why can’t we have the record facility on standard freesat. That would be realy great .

      Quote

  39. admin Says:

    Graham said:
    Why can’t we have the record facility on standard freesat. That would be realy great .

    The older generation receives simply don’t have the technical ability, hardware etc to cope; nor do the manufacturers really fancy supporting older products sadly. The freetime service is very much the product to have if you want future development (until the next re-incarnation comes along, but unlikely to be for quite some time!).

      Quote

  40. admin Says:

    Neil said:
    admin: any news on the new HD genre and BBC HD LCN swaps?

    No word yet…

      Quote

  41. Michael Says:

    RichardC said:
    Nice to see Freesat moving forward but personally useless as I don’t have an i device or leave equipment on standby when I’m out.

    So don’t you record anything while your out?
    Guess not if it’s off.

      Quote

  42. Michael Says:

    Keith (original) said:
    Would love to have this, but sadly my iOS devices only support iOS 5.1.1.They really didn’t ‘need’ to develop for 6.1 and above.

    How do you know they didn’t, but found that older devices under 6.1 couldn’t run the app efficiently or at all?

      Quote

  43. admin Says:

    Michael said: How do you know they didn’t, but found that older devices under 6.1 couldn’t run the app efficiently or at all?

    Like my iPhone 4…really doesn’t like iOS7!!!

      Quote

  44. Gordon S Valentine Says:

    I really do like this app. It runs very well on my iPod, running iOS 6.1.5. Love that I can control my Freesat box using the app.

      Quote

  45. Terry Says:

    I love how companies format issues *they* want to talk about as “FAQs”, competely abusing the term.

    Nobody asked “Why are you making this available now?”. Ever.

      Quote

  46. AndyC Says:

    xhozt said: Thats a total copout man .. Android takes just about the same amount of work as IOS .

    I’m a developer. I’m afraid you’re wrong. iOS is far easier to develop for than Android and we always do iOS first. Sorry to have to say it, but Android is a pain to write for due to the many different devices out there and multiple versions of the OS in use at any one time. Sorry, but those are the facts.

      Quote

  47. mountainbiker Says:

    I for one an getting very disappointed with freesat, My old foxsat box has now so may bugs to make it useless, but to find support for android devises is not supported beggars belief as now it is the major operating mobile system.

      Quote

  48. RichardC Says:

    Michael said: So don’t you record anything while your out?
    Guess not if it’s off.

    Not usually, I just record when there is a program clash. In any case I don’t have any apple devices (or android come to that) so the app is no use to me. Energy is too expensive to waste leaving stuff on standby. Mind you my energy bill is way below the average for my house type according to eon.

      Quote

  49. Pollensa1946 Says:

    Am I understanding this properly. In order to remotely set a recording my Internet connection via my LAN needs to be active. The actual stimulus to the HDR to set the recording is done over the Internet?

      Quote

  50. Michael Says:

    mountainbiker said:
    I for one an getting very disappointed with freesat, My old foxsat box has now so may bugs to make it useless, but to find support for android devises is not supported beggars belief as now it is the major operating mobile system.

    For crying outloud, when will people get it into their heads? Android is not being left unsupported, Android takes longer to program for due to its very own nature of very many software & device versions which all work differently to each other.
    iOS is pretty much one size fits all so apps can be brought to market so much quicker.
    I can guarantee that when the Android app is released that there’s still gonna be some unhappy freetime users when they find their Android device is not compatible with the app.

      Quote

  51. Michael Says:

    Pollensa1946 said:
    Am I understanding this properly.In order to remotely set a recording my Internet connection via my LAN needs to be active.The actual stimulus to the HDR to set the recording is done over the Internet?

    You need to set up initially while on the same network to pair devices, after that you can set recordings, delete recordings while using a mobile network.
    You only need a WiFi connection for remote control perposes thereafter.

      Quote

  52. AndyC Says:

    mountainbiker said:
    I for one an getting very disappointed with freesat, My old foxsat box has now so may bugs to make it useless, but to find support for android devises is not supported beggars belief as now it is the major operating mobile system.

    In development terms this approach makes sense. As a whole Android has more users, however if you start to break it down into screen sizes and versions of the OS then it gets much more diverse very quickly. It would be nonsensical to develop for a platform like that first.

    iOS is easier to develop for and the majority of users are already on the latest release so it makes sense to get that version out, get feedback from users and optimise and perfect that version. Meanwhile do the basics for the more complex Android version (and also, hopefully, Windows phones too) then when the initial feedback from iOS has been processed roll those changes into the beta Android version, test and release.

    Releasing to Android first, or to all platforms simultaneously just doesn’t make sense for many development projects. Start with the quickest platform to develop for first and then gradually expand. It’s common coding sense. Common business sense and, well… just common sense!

      Quote

  53. Michael Says:

    Pollensa1946 said:
    Am I understanding this properly.In order to remotely set a recording my Internet connection via my LAN needs to be active.The actual stimulus to the HDR to set the recording is done over the Internet?

    Oops sorry just reread,. I’m not actually sure, I’d imagine the box would need to be on an active network for recordings to be set.
    I will test this when I get home tonight.

      Quote

  54. Pollensa1946 Says:

    Michael said: You need to set up initially while on the same network to pair devices, after that you can set recordings, delete recordings while using a mobile network.
    You only need a WiFi connection for remote control perposes thereafter.

    OK, so if I’m away from home and my Router is switched off then I can’t use the app?

      Quote

  55. admin Says:

    Pollensa1946 said: OK, so if I’m away from home and my Router is switched off then I can’t use the app?

    Routers are designed to be left on to ensure a stable broadband connection is retained. The Humax can’t receive instruction if it has no outbound connection.

      Quote

  56. Mikeypop Says:

    Android bods – stop moaning – as with all things Freesat, this thing has BETA written all over it and the early adopters (iOS users) are the ones doing the testing for them.

    It’s a nice App and enhances the system greatly (and the pairing/setup was seemless and very easy), but it is missing so many basic features (no HD recording flag, can’t set a Series record both glaring ommissions I think) and the interface is such a cluttered, confusing mess that by the time you get it, it will (hopefully!) be greatly enhanced and more useful.

    I fear that whoever Freesat have hired as an interface designer these days gets to do what they want and sod the usability/funtionality consequences – see also the ridiculous half-screen shadow when pausing etc on the 1000S as proof of this!

      Quote

  57. Michael Says:

    Mikeypop said:

    but it is missing so many basic features (no HD recording flag, can’t set a Series record both glaring ommissions I think)

    Correct about HD recording prompt at this time, but your wrong with the other it definitely allows you to set a series record.

      Quote

  58. speedy Says:

    admin said: Routers are designed to be left on to ensure a stable broadband connection is retained. The Humax can’t receive instruction if it has no outbound connection.

    They might be designed that way, but I’m not. When away from home overnight or longer I always switch my LAN off.

      Quote

  59. speedy Says:

    Mikeypop said:
    …I fear that whoever Freesat have hired as an interface designer these days gets to do what they want and sod the usability/funtionality consequences – see also the ridiculous half-screen shadow when pausing etc on the 1000S as proof of this!

    Given that it has been there from day 1 and absolutely nobody likes it and Freesat remain aloof from any criticism of it, then I have to agree with you.
    Either one of…
    1) They don’t care about user feedback.
    2) It’s an inbuilt problem with HTML5.
    3) They don’t know how to pgm it properly.

      Quote

  60. Mark S Says:

    Using the android design guidelines and the developer tools, it is very simple to design an app for multiple screen sizes and resolutions. They even showed off at the last Google I/O how simple it was with just one clock you can look at your responsive design and have it work for tablets too. As far as different android versions, anything above v4, the process is the same.

    I think if you are designing for iOS it is much more tedious as the app doesn’t scale, you have to create multiple graphics at different resolutions. It all depends on what way you think about design. Apple is very rigid while android is very flexible.

    Here’s the link http://tinyurl.com/p9e3edu

      Quote

  61. Mikeypop Says:

    Michael said: Correct about HD recording prompt at this time, but your wrong with the other it definitely allows you to set a series record.

    Interesting – I’ll have to look again if that is the case. I tried setting our box to record “The Musketeers” remotely and could not find anywhere to set it as a series, and didn’t get a prompt etc as you would expect if setting on the box itself.

      Quote

  62. Mikeypop Says:

    Michael said: Correct about HD recording prompt at this time, but your wrong with the other it definitely allows you to set a series record.

    Hmmm…getting a prompt now after clicking “Record” asking if I want to record series – that didn’t seem to be showing last night for some reason, so fair enough that one is in there…but it opens up a whole new problem!

    …I seem to have received no obvious notification that the recording has been set, and the series is not showing in my “Saved Items” (why is it called that?!) list…so I’m in the dark about whether or not it has actually set anything!

      Quote

  63. Michael Says:

    Mikeypop said:
    …I seem to have received no obvious notification that the recording has been set, and the series is not showing in my “Saved Items” (why is it called that?!) list…so I’m in the dark about whether or not it has actually set anything!

    Box poles for changes every 15 mins so you won’t see that in the Saved Items until that time.
    If you look at that particular program in the guide though it should have an R and when you open it an option to cancel recording.

      Quote

  64. Paul Says:

    Does the box power up from standby every 15 minutes and spin the disk up? That could get annoying if it does.

      Quote

  65. Neil Says:

    Paul said:
    Does the box power up from standby every 15 minutes and spin the disk up?That could get annoying if it does.

    I very much doubt it, will happen in memory and standby. If you set a recording it may wake-up and spin the HDD, someone will have to check.

      Quote

  66. Michael Says:

    Paul said:
    Does the box power up from standby every 15 minutes and spin the disk up?That could get annoying if it does.

    Not that I’ve noticed, the only time I did notice the disk spin was 15 mins before recording start time as normal.

      Quote

  67. AndyC Says:

    Mark S said:
    Using the android design guidelines and the developer tools, it is very simple to design an app for multiple screen sizes and resolutions. They even showed off at the last Google I/O how simple it was with just one clock you can look at your responsive design and have it work for tablets too. As far as different android versions, anything above v4, the process is the same.
    I think if you are designing for iOS it is much more tedious as the app doesn’t scale, you have to create multiple graphics at different resolutions. It all depends on what way you think about design. Apple is very rigid while android is very flexible.
    Here’s the link http://tinyurl.com/p9e3edu

    Thanks for the link, Mark. Google probably see scaling as an advantage (and because of the multiple screen sizes, it is) but being forced to create different versions for tablet and phone on iOS is actually a really good thing and much liked by iOS developers. It forces you to consider the best usability for people who have your app and may be using different screen sizes, rather than just designing for one and letting it scale. If you’re going to do that it removes much of the reason for buying a larger screened device in the first place.

      Quote

  68. Michael Says:

    Saw this online regarding why iOS first then Android later.

    “Developing apps for iOS means there are only a few types of devices developers need to worry about. On Android, there are nearly 12,000 different devices. Sure, Samsung has a nearly 50% market share of all Android devices, but it’s a challenge for developers to make sure their app works on all Android devices around the world.

    More devices means more uncertainty, more potential for bugs, more testing, and generally a more difficult process for building a working app. It’s easier to build an app for a couple devices, make sure it works, and then move onto the challenge of working around Android’s fragmentation when you already know what to build.”

      Quote

  69. Liam Says:

    TBH – I did computer science in college and i am a computer engineer, and i find the whole “To Many Different Android Devices” argument to be entirely rubbish: In layman’s terms if this argument was to hold any water at all, then the same would hold true for Windows Desktop programs… after all how many companies are producing Desktop PC’s.

    I have always admired Apple, and i fondly remember them essentially coming back from the dead with the first Ipod – i think the direction that they are taking is essentially more about style and image than hardware and specs – and thats fine. Its certainly working for them. BUT! some of us like a little more from our tech – customizable, upgradable, rootable, etc etc – for us its android all the way – Considering Android is now officially the biggest Mobile OS in the world i think it is mistake for it to contually take a back seat to IOS.

    As to the compatibility issue – Yes its true there are many different phones available – but to be fair they are all running an iteration of Android – All one has to do is program a version compatible with on iteration/Generation – say start at ICS 4 and on – the phones themselves have their own drivers and the app environment is similar if not identical – I expect a more experience programer will immediately shoot me down for over simplification. Its true i havent coded in years but honestly – i think its just to simple to program for IOS – therefore in all honesty, they just couldnt be bothered to create it for android – im curious if anyone agrees or disagrees?

      Quote

  70. Pollensa1946 Says:

    Google Play Store is awash with apps that… just work …on my Android phone. I’m not seeing a lot of reviews that say… could not get this to work on my xxx device.

      Quote

  71. AndyC Says:

    This really shouldn’t dissolve into an iOS versus Android argument. It’s childish and a waste of time. Both platforms have good and bad things about them, let’s accept that and just move on.

    Android people – chill out ;-) Freesat will release an app for your phones and tablets, just be patient. Speaking as a developer, as I have already said earlier on this page and won’t say again, iOS is easier to write for and quicker to market. I’m not saying it’s better or worse than Android – use whatever floats your boat – it’s just less hassle to get an iOS app to market than an Android app.

      Quote

  72. Michael Says:

    Pollensa1946 said:
    Google Play Store is awash with apps that… just work …on my Android phone.I’m not seeing a lot of reviews that say… could not get this to work on my xxx device.

    All Android devices are awash with apps that just work, but not all Android devices will see the same apps in the Play Store as those particular apps that are not compatible on certain devices won’t appear in the Play Store on that device.

      Quote

  73. Dave W Says:

    Mikeypop said: Interesting – I’ll have to look again if that is the case. I tried setting our box to record “The Musketeers” remotely and could not find anywhere to set it as a series, and didn’t get a prompt etc as you would expect if setting on the box itself.

    Yes, that happened to me too for The Musketeers. Hmm..

      Quote

  74. SL Says:

    Not a good day for freesat. First putting the app on a minority platform and then unveiling the crippled winter olympics feed on freesat.

    only 2 hd streams for freesat while 6 are exclusively on virgin tivo and the bbc sport app on sony TVs but only on 1 range, what happened to the bbc making it available on all platforms?

    I can understand how freeview cannot have 6 hd streams but freesat is capable, maybe sky being sky again?

      Quote

  75. Richard Says:

    For me this is just the excuse needed to put off buying this even longer. Let the early adopters have all the annoyance.

    I too don’t think this should be an android vs apple debate, but there’s arguments on the plus side for both platforms and some commenters have clearly demonstrated their understanding of the platforms. However I still think there’s no excuse not to get an app out there on both platforms at the same time. Even if you say Android 4 upwards then work on backward compatibility later.

    I just hope whichever shoddy app design agency is making this doesn’t then just port the Apple interface onto Android. They both work very differently with user controls in specific places. Grinds my gears that.

    And lastly given Freesat’s history of releasing something for one platform or manufacturer then forgetting about the rest, I’ll believe the Android app when I see it. Should have held on til both were ready. And yes god help WP and Blackberry owners …

      Quote

  76. Pollensa1946 Says:

    Michael said: All Android devices are awash with apps that just work, but not all Android devices will see the same apps in the Play Store as those particular apps that are not compatible on certain devices won’t appear in the Play Store on that device.

    I usually access Play Store from my PC, before then accessing from my phone. So I think my comment… “I’m not seeing a lot of reviews that say… could not get this to work on my xxx device.” …probably holds good.

      Quote

  77. soldierboy001 Says:

    If for instance I go on holiday abroad will I still be able to use this or will it say you are out of the country and not able to watch these programs?

      Quote

  78. Michael Says:

    soldierboy001 said:
    If for instance I go on holiday abroad will I still be able to use this or will it say you are out of the country and not able to watch these programs?

    As long as you have an internet connection you will be able to use the app to check the guide and set recordings.

      Quote

  79. Michael Says:

    Paul said:
    Does the box power up from standby every 15 minutes and spin the disk up?That could get annoying if it does.

    Actually yes it does.
    Disk spins up and then shuts off around 3-5 mins later, then 15 mins after that it spins up again.
    So it’s actually around abouts 20 mins between each time it spins up.

      Quote

  80. DaveCardboard Says:

    I think the IOS versus Android debate is a false dichotomy. What about all the other platforms – Win7, OSX, Linux…? At least Androiders have been promised “something.”

    Perhaps one needs to think about it “the other way round:” If the IOS version is ready for release, why would you hold it back because it’s not ready for Android/Win7/OSX/Linux yet/ever…?

      Quote

  81. Pollensa1946 Says:

    Michael said: Actually yes it does.
    Disk spins up and then shuts off around 3-5 mins later, then 15 mins after that it spins up again.
    So it’s actually around abouts 20 mins between each time it spins up.

    Wow! It’s constant spin up/down that imposes most wear n tear on a disk.
    I take it this will only happen where you have paired a device to the box and not as a matter of routine simply because the box is internet connected.

      Quote

  82. Michael Says:

    Pollensa1946 said: Wow!It’s constant spin up/down that imposes most wear n tear on a disk.
    I take it this will only happen where you have paired a device to the box and not as a matter of routine simply because the box is internet connected.

    That is how it is on Power Saver standby mode, haven’t checked with Normal standby yet.

      Quote

  83. Michael Says:

    And the same on Normal standby mode too.

      Quote

  84. SiM Says:

    Interesting to read the iOS vs Android arguments here. After initially being very disappointed the app gets first airing on iOS, I feel this is perhaps for the better. As with all the promised updates from Humax they do take their time to get them ready for release so releasing a glitchy app on Android would mean they could get flooded with improvements and bugs which could put a lot people off on first use. Picking a smaller market but also an affluent one given the prices of the new Apple devices could also be a clever marketing ploy from them. With any sense, Humax will know they should enter the Android market ASAP to compete with the rivals but taking some lessons from the iOS app first would make sense. Hopefully the Android version is only a few months and not years away

      Quote

  85. Neil Says:

    Had a play with a Freetime PVR and app last night. Personally, I think it’s great, all works a treat and can’t see any issue with the menus, display or other issues people on here are all moaning about.

    Not tried the more advanced features of the STB since it’s firmware upgrade but for those who just want to switch on and go, which is the majority, the new app and firmware is fine to me,

    I also like on the BBC channels how a prompt appears, are ITV and C4 not using this? I presume C4 wouldn’t want to direct viewers from their correct region on 104 for advertising purposes, ITV potentially where the region matches the right ads but didn’t spot this on either of the two channels.

    Admin: Do you know when the new HD genre is being added and EPG swap for some HD/SD services?

      Quote

  86. Lee S Says:

    Liam said:
    TBH – I did computer science in college and i am a computer engineer, and i find the whole “To Many Different Android Devices” argument to be entirely rubbish: In layman’s terms if this argument was to hold any water at all, then the same would hold true for Windows Desktop programs… after all how many companies are producing Desktop PC’s.
    I have always admired Apple, and i fondly remember them essentially coming back from the dead with the first Ipod – i think the direction that they are taking is essentially more about style and image than hardware and specs – and thats fine. Its certainly working for them. BUT! some of us like a little more from our tech – customizable, upgradable, rootable, etc etc – for us its android all the way – Considering Android is now officially the biggest Mobile OS in the world i think it is mistake for it to contually take a back seat to IOS.
    As to the compatibility issue – Yes its true there are many different phones available – but to be fair they are all running an iteration of Android – All one has to do is program a version compatible with on iteration/Generation – say start at ICS 4 and on – the phones themselves have their own drivers and the app environment is similar if not identical – I expect a more experience programer will immediately shoot me down for over simplification. Its true i havent coded in years but honestly – i think its just to simple to program for IOS – therefore in all honesty, they just couldnt be bothered to create it for android – im curious if anyone agrees or disagrees?

    I can’t see the app being developed for ICS as its a couple of years old now. I suspect it will work on Jelly Bean versions and the new kitkat.

      Quote

  87. AndyC Says:

    It’s not so much the OS versions, although Lee S @ 86 is quite right, it’s unlikely to be developed further back than Jelly Bean. It’s more to do with the many different screen sizes. It’s been stated that you can scale apps to fit different screens but that hardly gives the best user experience – it’s a bit of a cop out to be honest. With any luck Freesat will want to ensure that the user experience is as good as possible on all devices. That means iOS first (because you’ve effectively got 2 different user views to cater for) and Android afterwards (where you’ve likely got many more than 2). Can we just accept that I’m right about that now and move on?

      Quote

  88. Kate Says:

    “New Freesat App puts you in control of your TV”…

    Doesn’t it put you in control of Freetime box attached to your TV … ;)

      Quote

  89. Kevin Says:

    Got the app and it looks great, but how do I pair it to my goodmans freesat recorder. It says go to settings for the id, but I cannot find it anywhere, someone help?…

      Quote

  90. Russ Says:

    Kevin said:
    Got the app and it looks great, but how do I pair it to my goodmans freesat recorder. It says go to settings for the id, but I cannot find it anywhere, someone help?…

    Kevin, You will not be able to pair the app with your device. It works with Freesat freetime, at the moment Humax is the only company producing freetime boxes.

      Quote

  91. RichardC Says:

    Russ said: Kevin, You will not be able to pair the app with your device. It works with Freesat freetime, at the moment Humax is the only company producing freetime boxes.

    Perhaps that should be made a bit clearer. This is not a Freesat+ app it’s just for Freetime.

      Quote

  92. Michael Says:

    RichardC said: Perhaps that should be made a bit clearer. This is not a Freesat+ app it’s just for Freetime.

    It does, in the app description.
    Apart from the stupid line of letting you control your TV sets, it does quite clearly say what it allows everyone to do ie: seeing what’s on using the guide,showcase etc and below that it says what it can do when you link with a Freetime box ie: set recordings,remote control etc.
    I do agree though that instead of calling the app Freesat they should either called Freesat Freetime or just Freetime.

      Quote

  93. Pollensa1946 Says:

    It seems to be the case that when the app is paired to your box it causes the box to spin up from stand-by 72 times a day, to check for a recording schedule.
    Hmmm…no, won’t be using it.

      Quote

  94. Dave W Says:

    Pollensa1946 said:
    It seems to be the case that when the app is paired to your box it causes the box to spin up from stand-by 72 times a day, to check for a recording schedule.
    Hmmm…no, won’t be using it.

    Of course it doesn’t need to spin up when it’s on e.g. When you’re watching something.

      Quote

  95. Neil Says:

    Pollensa1946 said:
    It seems to be the case that when the app is paired to your box it causes the box to spin up from stand-by 72 times a day, to check for a recording schedule.
    Hmmm…no, won’t be using it.

    They should stick a solid state drive in there to sort that one out!!

    I do like how the Freetime PVR’s mimic Sky+ STB GUI’s well, I say that as it’s what most people are used to. Things like showing the time ‘-1min’ etc when you pause a programme is the sort of thing that looks good on Sky hardware and think Humax and Freesat have put a bit of thought in to this to closely make the Freetime experience so similar to that of Sky. It’s a pity Humax haven’t put a TV standby button on the remote, that’s the only thing that lets it down to me.

      Quote

  96. Michael Says:

    Neil said: It’s a pity Humax haven’t put a TV standby button on the remote, that’s the only thing that lets it down to me.

    A One For All remote soon sorts that out ;)

      Quote

  97. Neil Says:

    Michael said: A One For All remote soon sorts that out

    That’s true, or if I get one a simple internal mod to opto-isolate the supply to the TV, driven from the Freetime STB PSU voltage. I’ve modded two Foxsat HD’s in this way, driven by the green LED to power up my Mum’s TV’s upstairs and in her conservatory!

      Quote

  98. Pollensa1946 Says:

    Dave W said: Of course it doesn’t need to spin up when it’s on e.g. When you’re watching something.

    Of course you are most likely to be using the app when away from home and the box is in sby.

      Quote

  99. Michael Says:

    Freesat have a new ad to promote the app.
    It doesn’t mention the app or Freesat in the ad, just gives a web address.
    http://www.putsomethingon.co.uk

    Here’s the ad.
    http://youtu.be/1R1ACN7AY5k

      Quote

  100. John Graham Says:

    I have had to delete this app because (as discussed above), when the box is in standby, it causes to hard disc to spin up every 15-20 minutes for about 3 minutes and then shut down again. It also causes my TV to auto switch to the box input every time this happens. Very annoying.

      Quote

  101. John Graham Says:

    PS I spoke to Humax about this and they told me it is not normal for the disc to be doing this.

      Quote

  102. Colin Suter Says:

    Set this up on my iPhone 4S in ten minutes. And got it working. It is easier to use than going through my Humax with the remote. Brilliant. Sad that my iPad 1 cannot handle it but will probably be buying a new iPad next year so I can wait.
    Thank you Join Freesat, I would not have known this existed if I did not check you out from time to time.
    Feel sorry for the Android users, but it’s why it is worth paying extra for an Apple product. And I am not a rolling in cash Yuppie. Just an OAP. With taste…

      Quote

  103. Michael Says:

    John Graham said:
    I have had to delete this app because (as discussed above), when the box is in standby, it causes to hard disc to spin up every 15-20 minutes for about 3 minutes and then shut down again. It also causes my TV to auto switch to the box input every time this happens. Very annoying.

    Turn off your TV’s HDMI CEC control for that HDMI input the box is connected to, TV shouldn’t auto switch then.

      Quote

  104. John Graham Says:

    Thanks Michael but this does not solve the problem on my Panasonic TV. The only solution is to change inputs (ie not HDMI 1)

      Quote

  105. Pollensa1946 Says:

    John Graham said:
    PS I spoke to Humax about this and they told me it is not normal for the disc to be doing this.

    They are wrong.

      Quote

  106. Pollensa1946 Says:

    Colin Suter said:
    Feel sorry for the Android users, but it’s why it is worth paying extra for an Apple product. And I am not a rolling in cash Yuppie. Just an OAP. With taste…

    “Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.” Oscar Wilde.

      Quote

  107. Neil Says:

    There’s a new Freesat ad to promote the new App:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R1ACN7AY5k&feature=youtu.be

    Which tells you at the end of the ad to go to:
    http://www.putsomethingon.co.uk

    Will get people talking if it’s shown a fair few times! Might be worth a new thread admin. Not sure when it’s due to air or if indeed it has?

      Quote

  108. Neil Says:

    And also a handy user guide by Rick Edwards:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw-y4-S_ob4

    Interesting this app is being aimed at a general TV audience as a guide, with the added bonus it supports Freetime Freesat PVR’s so in itself a subtle ad to push the product, platform and brand.

      Quote

  109. Michael Says:

    Neil said:
    There’s a new Freesat ad to promote the new App:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R1ACN7AY5k&feature=youtu.be
    Which tells you at the end of the ad to go to:
    http://www.putsomethingon.co.uk
    Will get people talking if it’s shown a fair few times! Might be worth a new thread admin. Not sure when it’s due to air or if indeed it has?

    Post #99 ;)

      Quote

  110. RichardC Says:

    Neil said ” pity there isn’t a tv standby button button on the remote.” doh
    What remote the app or the humax remote? My humax remote has a tv standby button ( HB-1000s) don’t know about the other freetime boxes but I thought the remotes were identical.

      Quote

  111. RichardC Says:

    Bit misleading that app vid on utube. There aint an itv player on freetime for people where I live and it dosen’t mention that.

      Quote

  112. RichardC Says:

    If you have more than one humax device here are the instructions for changing the code so the remotes don’t clash.
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/multi-code-function-hdhdr-remote-2

      Quote

  113. Neil Says:

    RichardC said:
    Neil said ” pity there isn’t a tv standby button button on the remote.” doh
    What remote the app or the humax remote?My humax remote has a tv standby button ( HB-1000s) don’t know about the other freetime boxes but I thought the remotes were identical.

    The physical remote for the Humax Freetime PVR, at least not that I’m aware of!

    Apologies Michael, didn’t spot your post above. This thread has got rather long!

      Quote

  114. Pollensa1946 Says:

    RichardC said:
    My humax remote has a tv standby button ( HB-1000s) don’t know about the other freetime boxes but I thought the remotes were identical.

    No they are not, the HDR1000S AV button has no function. Maybe the “doh” is not appropriate on this occasion?

      Quote

  115. Paul Says:

    Different behaviour to the BT TV Humax box, which leaves the disk spinning when it’s paired to a device. The BT box has two standby modes, High-eco and Low-eco. Pairing to a mobile device (up to five devices possible) requres that Low-eco be selected.

    High-eco consumes 1 watt and takes up to 2 mins to boot.
    Low-eco consumes 19 watts and takes up to 15 secs to boot.

    Pollensa1946 said:
    It seems to be the case that when the app is paired to your box it causes the box to spin up from stand-by 72 times a day, to check for a recording schedule.
    Hmmm…no, won’t be using it.

      Quote

  116. Pollensa1946 Says:

    I wonder if Humax have grasped the implications of these spin up/down actions relating to the new app. Taking an average couple who are out working during the day I assume…
    Box on for 1 hour in the morning and then again for 5 hours in the evening. So on sby for 18 hours per day = 54 additional spin up/down. At w/e box is on sby for 12 hours per day, so 36 spins x 2 = 72. Total for week = (5 x 54) + 72 = 342 per wk.
    Taking a 48 wk working year and ignoring holiday times the minimum additional spins would be = 342 x 48 = 16416 per year.
    I’ll put money on it that if Humax factor that into their assumed warranty failures they’re going to see a noticeable uplift in early life failures.

      Quote

  117. RichardC Says:

    Pollensa1946 said: No they are not, the HDR1000S AV button has no function.Maybe the “doh” is not appropriate on this occasion?

    It’s amazing what you learn on this site. A tv button with no function on the HDR remote. That’s a bit perplexing of humax considering the HB can be a pvr. Don’t see any logical reason for that or am I missing something. Perhaps the later boxes are different? “doh” recinded Neil.:D

      Quote

  118. Neil Says:

    RichardC said: It’s amazing what you learn on this site. A tv button with no function on the HDR remote. That’s a bit perplexing ofhumaxconsidering the HB can be a pvr. Don’t see any logical reason for that or am I missing something. Perhaps the later boxes are different? “doh” recinded Neil.:D

    Don’t worry I’ll let you off!! That AV button on the HDR remote would have made a wonderful TV Standby button!!!

      Quote

  119. darren T Says:

    The only thing that let’s down the Humax Freesat PVR is the lack of tv standby on the remote, I’ve had to train my wife to use two remotes, one to turn the tv on, then the Humax remote to turn on the freesat.

      Quote

  120. Michael Says:

    darren T said:
    The only thing that let’s down the Humax Freesat PVR is the lack of tv standby on the remote, I’ve had to train my wife to use two remotes, one to turn the tv on, then the Humax remote to turn on the freesat.

    Get a One For All remote, problem solved ;)

      Quote

  121. Richard Says:

    Would a HB learning remote work the HDR anyone know.

      Quote

  122. Lee S Says:

    The Humax HB-1000s single freesat freetime tuner comes with a different revision of remote control that can be used to control various tv’s. A remote code list is included in the instruction manual. I hear the Humax Youview remote can control tv’s as well. Odd really as the remotes all look identical. You would have thought they could start shipping this instead. It’s unusual to supply a remote this day in age that does not have tv control functionality.

      Quote

  123. RichardC Says:

    Humax are probably using up their stock of older remotes before they introduce the HB variant across the range.

      Quote

  124. Heather Culpin Says:

    John Graham said:
    I have had to delete this app because (as discussed above), when the box is in standby, it causes to hard disc to spin up every 15-20 minutes for about 3 minutes and then shut down again. It also causes my TV to auto switch to the box input every time this happens. Very annoying.

      Quote

  125. Heather Culpin Says:

    Heather Culpin said:

    Same thing happens for us. Losing the TV picture every 10 to 15 minutes was so annoying that I’ve unpaired from the box and won’t be using the app again. Also having the box thrashing round when it does that can’t be doing it any good.

      Quote

  126. David Morgan Says:

    I’m expat living in Paris suburbs I can get Freesat via my Humax/sat installation.
    But it’s not available on French Apple Store and cannot access Apple UK.
    Is this going to change please.
    I’d like the iPad application to watch Freesat as is now possible in UK.
    Anyone know the answer. Thanks.

      Quote

  127. Markm Says:

    No channel. 126 4hd on app.
    no favourites link or ability to personalise the channel list !

      Quote

  128. Ian Morris Says:

    I have downloaded the app from freesat, and it can change the channels, but why can’t it record ?
    Help please

      Quote

  129. Daisee Says:

    Hi there, am unable to get a pairing code?
    am using my old sky box as my freesat box, where can I get the pairing code?

    Thanks

      Quote

Leave a Reply

Freesat RSS Feed Want the latest Freesat news?
You should subscribe to our RSS Feed, as you'll get all the latest Freesat news, reviews and information!