Join Freesat


May 24 2013

Freesat Awards 2013Freesat, the subscription-free satellite TV service, announced today the channels and programmes that have been shortlisted for the Freesat Awards 2013. Now in its fifth year, the Freesat Awards showcase and celebrate the TV that Britain loves.

The 2013 Awards see 52 nominees competing across ten categories. Brand new awards this year include Best TV Sitcom, Best Factual TV Programme or Series and Best Coverage for a Major News Event.

Neil Midgley, chair of the judging panel said

This year the Freesat Awards will celebrate even more of the best of British TV, with two new categories for factual programmes and sitcoms. The shortlists include so many hit shows – such as Exposure, Twenty Twelve, Great British Bake Off and Fresh Meat – that it’s impossible even to guess who’ll win. And that’s not forgetting last year’s brilliant coverage of the Olympics and Paralympics from the BBC and Channel 4, who have received three nominations.

The great British viewing public also have their chance to decide the winners of the Best British Soap and Freesat Personality of the Year Awards, with online public voting now open at: www.freesat.co.uk/awards

Winners will be announced at the Freesat Awards ceremony, held in Central London on Wednesday 10th July, with a VIP audience of celebrities, media and broadcasters, hosted by comedian and actress Sally Phillips.

Freesat Awards 2013 Shortlist:

1. Best of British: TV Programme or Series

BBC One – Miranda
BBC One – Call The Midwife
BBC Two – Richard II: The Hollow Crown
ITV – Broadchurch
ITV – Scott and Bailey
Channel 4 – Richard III: The King In The Car Park

2. Best Digital Radio Channel

Absolute Radio
Insight Radio
BBC Radio 1Xtra
BBC Radio 6 Music
BBC Radio 5 live Olympics Extra

3. Best Factual TV Programme or Series

BBC One – Africa
BBC Two – Great British Bake Off
BBC Three – Our War
BBC Four – Rome: A History of the Eternal City
ITV1 – Exposure: The Other Side of Jimmy Savile

4. Best Specialist Channel

BET
Food Network UK
Horror Channel
QVC

5. Best Children’s TV Programme or Series

CBeebies – Get Well Soon
CBeebies – Tree Fu Tom
CBeebies – Octonauts
CBBC – Wolfblood
CBBC – The Dumping Ground
CBBC – My Life: Breaking Free
CBBC – Incredible Edibles: Gutbusters
Channel 5 – Milkshake Ben and Holly’s Little Kingdom

6. Freesat Channel of the Year

BBC Four
BBC Two
CBBC
CBeebies
ITV

7. Best Live TV Programme or Series

BBC One – London Olympics 2012
BBC One – Strictly Come Dancing
ITV – Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway
ITV – Daybreak
Channel 4 – London 2012 Paralympic Games
Channel 5 – Celebrity Big Brother

8. Best TV Sitcom

BBC One – Miranda
BBC One – Mrs Brown’s Boys
BBC Two – Twenty Twelve
ITV2 – Plebs
Channel 4 – Fresh Meat

9. Best News Channel (Radio and TV)

BBC News
BBC World Service
BBC Radio 5 live

10. Best Coverage for a Major News Event on Radio or TV

Channel 4 News – Lord Rennard
BBC News – Syria
BBC Radio 5 Live – Lance Armstrong
ITV News – Jimmy Savile
Channel 5 News – US Presidential elections
euronews – Vatican
ITV Granada Reports – Hillsborough: The Truth At Last

53 Responses to “Shortlist announced for Freesat Awards 2013”

  1. Al Catraz Says:

    “Great British Bake Off” in the Best Factual Programme category?

    Ha Ha – next, they’ll be putting “big brother” in the best live TV category…

    …oh.

      Quote

  2. soldierboy001 Says:

    These awards are rediculous we all know in our own minds what we like and I for one don’t need any award competition to agree or disagree with me. I will tune into what I like.

      Quote

  3. Dan Says:

    soldierboy001 said:
    These awards are rediculous we all know in our own minds what we like and I for one don’t need any award competition to agree or disagree with me. I will tune into what I like.

    He’s not as bad as the freesat critic, who seems to hate putting sport on his picks of the day/week. With freesat not having a dedicated sports channel, surely they’d want to highlight big live sporting events on their platform?

      Quote

  4. MikeC Says:

    Like many others (I assume), I fail to see what the point of these freesat awards is. All the broadcasters really care about is that the share of their channel’s target audience is as good as they think it should be.

    Instead of wasting money on presentations like this freesat should be using the money to aggressively publicise their increasingly popular platform.

      Quote

  5. Neil Says:

    Whilst these awards draw attention to the platform it appears all the nominees are the main PSB channels. It would be good to see a few more niche channels being nominated, dare I say it, even possibly Sky ones if there’s any programming they’ve contributed worthy of a category.

      Quote

  6. Richard Crichton Says:

    Neil said:
    Whilst these awards draw attention to the platform it appears all the nominees are the main PSB channels. It would be good to see a few more niche channels being nominated, dare I say it, even possibly Sky ones if there’s any programming they’ve contributed worthy of a category.

    Perhaps Pick should get a award for the most frequent blowing their own trumpet self promotion by Sky which happens every 8 minutes or so. If the situation was reversed would Sky tolerate it? Anwsers on a postcard to————————- :D

      Quote

  7. Dan Says:

    Although I’m not a fan myself, CBS Action shows Dexter which is very popular. The Food Network shows programmes such as Man v Food, which is a regular on ‘dave’ that everyone keeps begging for. The IPL has been excellently covered live by ITV4 for the last 6 weeks as well, which surely could be used by freesat awards in argument to having no dedicated sports channel. There’s just a couple I think could be picked out.

      Quote

  8. Richard Crichton Says:

    Why did BBC1 Scotand HD national news use pictures of the Scottish cup final from Sky Sports 3 HD when the game was shown live on BBC1 Scotland HD and SD ?? More free advertising for Sky?
    Also the Monaco F1 GP was not shown on BBC1 Scotland SD or HD had to watch on 972.

      Quote

  9. Saltydawg Says:

    What a load of…, spend the money on getting more channels onto Freesat, not on patting everyone on the back!

      Quote

  10. Russ Says:

    Will the BBC and ITV have a feature covering the Freesat awards on their news programmes? I don’t remember seeing anything in the past. This could be an opportunity to get some free exposure for Freesat on all platforms.

      Quote

  11. Neil Says:

    Russ said:
    Will the BBC and ITV have a feature covering the Freesat awards on their news programmes? I don’t remember seeing anything in the past. This could be an opportunity to get some free exposure for Freesat on all platforms.

    I think that’s what it’s all about really although the main broadcasters don’t pick up on it much.

    Richard: Would be funny if Pick TV won an award, for advertising even, and then branded themselves as ‘freesat channel of the year’ !!!

      Quote

  12. Richard Crichton Says:

    Neil that wouldn’t suprise me and I wouldn’t put it past Sly to do that.
    There should also be a most annoying channel award.

      Quote

  13. Neil Says:

    Richard Crichton said:
    Neil that wouldn’t suprise me and I wouldn’t put it past Sly to do that.
    There should also be a most annoying channel award.

    Yep, for the most annoying self promotion of it’s own platform and channels!! There would be three strong contender channels for that!!

      Quote

  14. ChristopherM Says:

    I see that BBC Four is (quite rightly) nominated for “Freesat Channel of the Year”.

    However, given the above, why is only one BBC Four programme nominated in the other categories?

      Quote

  15. Al (Original) Says:

    What a joke as to the selections.

    Best of British:

    Well if that’s the best Britain has to offer, surely we’re stuffed!

    Best Specialist Channel:

    Includes a shopping channel?

    What about CBS Reality, Horror, Drama, 5 USA, Film 4?

    They’re all specialist and the last 2 especially popular.

    Freesat Channel of the year:

    Includes 4 BBC Channels and 1 ITV!

    I think a few people would think E4 should be in here, 5 USA and maybe some other channels.

    Best News Channel ( – why not news programme!):

    All BBC.

    What about Al Jazeera in the listings, it keeps winning acclaim.

    …and CNN is supposed to be one of the best news channels out there.

    Also, why not a category for Best Non Live TV Programme or series?

      Quote

  16. Richard Crichton Says:

    “…and CNN is supposed to be one of the best news channels out there.”

    Alas that was then and this is now. CNN is nowhere near as good as it was back in the day. http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/08/17/the-collapse-of-cnn/

      Quote

  17. ian Says:

    Im sorry but whoever came up with this shortlist, i suggest you take a hammer and knock some sense into yourselves as its nothing short of appalling.
    Channel of the year… 4 BBC channels and ITV.. Come on!!!!!!!
    Best News channel.. All BBC….
    Best Childrens programmes.. All BBC except one from Channel 5..

    Out of this world bent and not a scrap of respect for it. Poor Freesat, i expected better :/

      Quote

  18. admin Says:

    I have made Freesat aware that these kind of awards are not favored by the consumers.

      Quote

  19. Al (Original) Says:

    Richard Crichton said:
    “…and CNN is supposed to be one of the best news channels out there.”
    Alas that was then and this is now. CNN is nowhere near as good as it was back in the day.http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/08/17/the-collapse-of-cnn/

    Well I can’t comment as I don’t usually watch it but tonight I decided to after posting on here earlier so I did. After the news they had a feature on electronic waste recycling in China – absolutely brilliant coverage of what could have been a boring subject. Then after that a feature on the latest toys for the Chinese super rich. Also brilliant.

    I was planning to turn it off after the news and an hour and a half later was absolutely glued to it and couldn’t turn it off if I’d have wanted to. Sublime.

    How any award organiser can have left that out, I don’t know. The BBC don’t even come close!

      Quote

  20. ian Says:

    admin said:
    I have made Freesat aware that these kind of awards are not favored by the consumers.

    IMO- Its not so much that. Its the selection thats been made and just how obviously skewered the ‘nominations’ are.
    Some are all BBC, with the odd ‘other’ added into it.
    Its pitiful at best and something they should be deeply ashamed of.
    If you’re going to honour broadcasting and free broadcasting at that, then the organisers surely must know that BBC & ITV** are not the only ones that are FTA who broadcast something that has the ability to keep the viewer hooked. (**Not all of ITV for that matter!!!!)

      Quote

  21. Neil Says:

    How about giving an award to the best newest channel currently FTA and not on the platform as an incentive to join! Arise News should get that one!

      Quote

  22. r.crichton Says:

    Al (Original) said: Well I can’t comment as I don’t usually watch it but tonight I decided to after posting on here earlier so I did. After the news they had a feature on electronic waste recycling in China – absolutely brilliant coverage of what could have been a boring subject. Then after that a feature on the latest toys for the Chinese super rich. Also brilliant.
    I was planning to turn it off after the news and an hour and a half later was absolutely glued to it and couldn’t turn it off if I’d have wanted to. Sublime.
    How any award organiser can have left that out, I don’t know. The BBC don’t even come close!

    one swallow does not make a summer

      Quote

  23. r.crichton Says:

    Neil said:
    How about giving an award to the best newest channel currently FTA and not on the platform as an incentive to join! Arise News should get that one!

    agreed

      Quote

  24. Russ Says:

    Samsung smart tv’s with Freesat built in not only have BBC, ITV, 4OD and demand5 players but also now have the Eurosport player App. as part of the smart hub. For a monthly subscription of £2.99, minimum 12 months, sports fans can get live streaming of Eurosport HD and Eurosport 2 HD.

    It is nice to have access to Eurosport without having to line Sky’s pocket in the process!!!

    I apologise for being off topic.

      Quote

  25. martin Says:

    I wish they would bring more app s to freetime I feel I v been short changed they where suposed to bring a love film or something like that anyway 40d and demand five use it or loose it there should be a time limit

      Quote

  26. Alex Says:

    @martin; sorry to tell you, but there’s a news story somewhere which states that once 4OD and Demand 5 launch on Freetime, no other apps or services will launch on Freesat, as soon as I find the story I’ll post a link.

      Quote

  27. martin Says:

    Alex said:
    @martin; sorry to tell you, but there’s a news story somewhere which states that once 4OD and Demand 5 launch on Freetime, no other apps or services will launch on Freesat, as soon as I find the story I’ll post a link.

    Thank you

      Quote

  28. Richard Crichton Says:

    martin said:
    I wish they would bring more app s to freetime I feel I v been short changed they where suposed to bring a love film or something like that anyway40d and demand five use it or loose it there should be a time limit

    Possibly end of June for 4OD and end of summer for Demand 5
    http://www.a516digital.com/2013/05/freesat-confirms-4od-launch-imminent.html

      Quote

  29. Rosco Says:

    Another channel for FS to chase up. True Drama has replaced True Ent +1 on 11306V 27500 2/3

      Quote

  30. Alex Says:

    @Rosco; it’s not for freesat to chase up a broadcaster, it’s up to the broadcaster to make contact with freesat.

      Quote

  31. r.crichton Says:

    103 STV not available tonight. Non freesat STV HD still on.

      Quote

  32. Rosco Says:

    Alex said:
    @Rosco; it’s not for freesat to chase up a broadcaster, it’s up to the broadcaster to make contact with freesat.

    So what?

    FS managed to be completely unaware of at least 1 recent fta channel launch until our admin pointed it out to them! ;)

    Anyway some folks like having a look at new channels that appear. If FS never do any chasing up the rate of new channel additions can only slow down, and Im sure no-one wants that.

      Quote

  33. Neil Says:

    Alex said:
    @martin; sorry to tell you, but there’s a news story somewhere which states that once 4OD and Demand 5 launch on Freetime, no other apps or services will launch on Freesat, as soon as I find the story I’ll post a link.

    Where did you read that? It’s an ‘open’ platform and FS can work with other providers to include their services (ie Lovefilm etc).

      Quote

  34. martin Says:

    Rosco said:
    Another channel for FS to chase up. True Drama has replaced True Ent +1 on 11306V 27500 2/3

    we v never had true entertainment +1 on freesat true entertainment is not a very good channel at dont think I v looked at it more than once in a while never caught anything worth watching on it

      Quote

  35. Neil Says:

    martin said: we v never had true entertainment +1 on freesat true entertainment is not a very good channel at dont think I v looked at it more than once in a while never caught anything worth watching on it

    My mum likes watching it from time to time, I’ve not really watched much myself but it does get a following, 145k viewers per week which isn’t massive but higher than some lower performing Satellite channels. True Ent+1 managed 15k viewers whilst it was BARB reported, will be interesting to see how True Drama performs.

      Quote

  36. Harry Says:

    Looks like the BBC Red Button streams will be launching onto the freesat EPG (not surprising given the fact that they’ve been carrying now/next data for about a week). They all now have 7 day EPG data. ‘BBC RB HD’ (8900 on 11024H) will launch on 980, ‘BBC RB 2′ (54380 on 12643V) on 982, ‘BBC RB 3′ (54381 on 12643V) on 983. The current (permanent) BBC Red Button stream will presumably launch on 981.
    STV HD has had 7 day EPG data for a while too. Currently showing for the channel number though.

      Quote

  37. Harry Says:

    I suppose they could always be classed as ‘hidden’, but I would have thought that they would have been put with the other hidden services above freesat info on 999.

      Quote

  38. Neil Says:

    Harry said:
    Looks like the BBC Red Button streams will be launching onto the freesat EPG (not surprising given the fact that they’ve been carrying now/next data for about a week). They all now have 7 day EPG data. ‘BBC RB HD’ (8900 on 11024H) will launch on 980, ‘BBC RB 2′ (54380 on 12643V) on 982, ‘BBC RB 3′ (54381 on 12643V) on 983. The current (permanent) BBC Red Button stream will presumably launch on 981.
    STV HD has had 7 day EPG data for a while too. Currently showingfor the channel number though.

    Cheers Harry, always first with the EPG LCN exclusives :)

      Quote

  39. Russ Says:

    I wonder if BBC RB HD will be used to transmit the occasional 3D content so as not to disrupt normal HD transmissions. I understand they plan to show a full feature length episode of Dr Who in 3D to celebrate the 50th anniversary in November. It will also be shown in cinemas simultaneous

      Quote

  40. Thomas Steele Says:

    Harry, what is the frequency for STV HD, as it has disappeared from my non freesat mode recently but I still get STV +1. thanks.

      Quote

  41. Harry Says:

    STV HD’s transponder has recently seen a change in parameters in order to increase the bit rate available for STV HD, suggesting its official satellite launch will be sooner rather than later. My post above didn’t work properly…STV HD currently has the ‘0’ slot.
    Frequency is 10936V, SR 23000, DVB-S2, 8PSK, FEC 2/3.

      Quote

  42. Richard Crichton Says:

    Harry said:
    STV HD’s transponder has recently seen a change in parameters in order to increase the bit rate available for STV HD, suggesting its official satellite launch will be sooner rather than later. My post above didn’t work properly…STV HD currently has the ’0′ slot.
    Frequency is 10936V, SR 23000, DVB-S2, 8PSK, FEC 2/3.

    Dosen’t mean it’ll come to Freesat. That might be for pay tv’s benefit.
    I’m not convinced that STV is even bothered about Freesat as it’s easily available (if you have certain well designed boxes) in non Freesat mode for anyone who wants it to store as a favourite.

      Quote

  43. Thomas Steele Says:

    Thanks Harry I have got it back on non Freesat mode hopefully it will appear at a later date on Freesat.

      Quote

  44. Richard Crichton Says:

    In March 2012 joinfreesat wrote http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/stv-hd-and-utv-hd-close-to-freesat-launch/ here we are 15 months later and still nothing.

      Quote

  45. Neil Says:

    Richard Crichton said: Dosen’t mean it’ll come to Freesat. That might be for pay tv’s benefit.
    I’m not convinced that STV is even bothered about Freesat as it’s easily available (if you have certain well designed boxes) in non Freesat mode for anyone who wants it to store as a favourite.

    I can’t see STV not getting on board as a PSB. Harry, is there freesat EPG data on the other two ITV HD services on that TP?

      Quote

  46. Harry Says:

    Richard Crichton said: Dosen’t mean it’ll come to Freesat. That might be for pay tv’s benefit.
    I’m not convinced that STV is even bothered about Freesat as it’s easily available (if you have certain well designed boxes) in non Freesat mode for anyone who wants it to store as a favourite.

    So why does it have full 7 day freesat EPG data?

      Quote

  47. Harry Says:

    Neil said: I can’t see STV not getting on board as a PSB. Harry, is there freesat EPG data on the other two ITV HD services on that TP?

    No- no data for them.

    pic.twitter.com/0ugRvaNEiy
    pic.twitter.com/j2TEzdmOsW

      Quote

  48. Neil Says:

    Harry said: No- no data for them.
    pic.twitter.com/0ugRvaNEiy
    pic.twitter.com/j2TEzdmOsW

    Cheers for that, maybe STV HD will finally appear! Looks like the new Red Button HD and existing SD streams have been added today on LCN’s 980 and 981, no sign of the other two temporary ones yet though.

      Quote

  49. Richard Crichton Says:

    Harry said: So why does it have full 7 day freesat EPG data?

    Enlighten me. All it says on my box is test event. Isn’t Sky epg data and Freesat epg data combined? Not sure of the technicalities of that so if you can explain I would be grateful.

      Quote

  50. Neil Says:

    Richard Crichton said: Enlighten me. All it says on my box is test event. Isn’t Sky epg data and Freesat epg data combined? Not sure of the technicalities of that so if you can explain I would be grateful.

    Sky send Now and Next so the ‘Test Event’ is a Sky EPG thing, Freesat’s EPG data is encoded in to the DVB TS and separate. A lot of FS STB’s in ‘non freesat’ mode look only at Now and Next.

    Has STV HD ever had Now and Next (Sky) EPG data before now??

      Quote

  51. Keith Cobby Says:

    Is it me or are things quiet on the Freesat front. Nearly half way through the year and no HD news.

      Quote

  52. r.crichton Says:

    Neil said: Sky send Now and Next so the ‘Test Event’ is a Sky EPG thing, Freesat’s EPG data is encoded in to the DVB TS and separate. A lot of FS STB’s in ‘non freesat’ mode look only at Now and Next.
    Has STV HD ever had Now and Next (Sky) EPG data before now??

    not that I can recall. Where do I get the dvb Ts data from.

      Quote

  53. Neil Says:

    r.crichton said: not that Ican recall. Where do I get the dvb Ts data from.

    TS being Transport Stream, ie the Multiplexed stream carrying all the services. Harry, what software are you using to diagnose all the EPG data, is it DVB viewer?

      Quote

Leave a Reply

Freesat RSS Feed Want the latest Freesat news?
You should subscribe to our RSS Feed, as you'll get all the latest Freesat news, reviews and information!