TVPlayer Plus launches on Freesat today

Freesat today announced that streaming service TVPlayer Plus is now available on Freesat. TVPlayer Plus offers access to 26 popular TV channels – including Comedy Central, MTV, Lifetime, and Discovery Channel – all for £5.99 a month, or a £59.99 yearly fee. Available in Freesat’s On Demand section from today, TVPlayer Plus allows viewers to watch shows both live and on demand.

Also among the channels now available on Freesat via TVPlayer Plus are History, National Geographic, Cartoon Network, Eurosport and Nickleodeon. Popular shows that Freesat viewers can watch via TVPlayer Plus include Ed Stafford: Left for Dead on Discovery Channel and Britain’s Next Top Model on Lifetime.

The launch of TVPlayer Plus reflects Freesat’s commitment to bring the very best in content, choice and value to the more than two million Freesat homes across the UK. TVPlayer Plus joins Freesat’s already extensive catch up and app line up such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, Netflix, Rakuten TV, Curzon Home Cinema and the recently added Ketchup TV.

Alistair Thom, Managing Director of Freesat, said:

Launching TVPlayer Plus is a significant step for Freesat as this brings our customers some of the world’s biggest TV channels. We remain committed to ensuring that our viewers can enjoy a huge range of content and the flexibility to watch what they want without a contract. Our content offering has grown rapidly over the past few months with the addition of Dave, Home, Quest, Quest Red and Ketchup TV and we look forward to bringing more channels to our customers in the future.

Rob Hodgkinson, Chief Operating Officer of TVPlayer said:

We’re really pleased that TVPlayer Plus is now available to Freesat customers across the UK, giving more viewers the option to enjoy an excellent range of shows both live and on demand for a great price and without the need for a contract.

37 thoughts on “TVPlayer Plus launches on Freesat today”

  1. Not really because it too expensive by TV Player Plus I don’t want to see On Damand show like TV Player plus is too expensive some more every month a not good British people unhappy by TV player cannot service money and bank card. I’m sorry please be claims.

  2. Shannon said:
    Not really because it too expensive by TV Player Plus I don’t want to see On Damand show like TV Player plus is too expensive some more every month a not good British people unhappy by TV player cannot service money and bank card. I’m sorry please be claims.

    In case anyone is wondering, this is Ronnie; he’s just decided to change his name to Shannon 😀

  3. Amazon TV and Now TV would be better but this does show commitment to on demand content. Doubt I would pay for it myself but still a cheaper option than Sly.

  4. JCJ said:
    Amazon TV and Now TV would be better but this does show commitment to on demand content. Doubt I would pay for it myself but still a cheaper option than Sly.

    I agree

  5. This is great news now gives me access to some premium channels all in one place. freesat just keeps getting better and better.

  6. This is fantastic news for Freesat and feel the platform is really making strong inroads now with all these recent solid additions.

    Good work Freesat 🙂

  7. Neil said:
    This is fantastic news for Freesat and feel the platform is really making strong inroads now with all these recent solid additions.
    Good work Freesat

    I agree seem to be doing a great job freesat.

  8. This is great news for Freesat what a strong year its been, TV player is a great add on I also heard strong rumours early this afternoon that Sony Channel will soon be joining Freesat I now believe that any channels is now possible after the strong year we have had.

  9. Gregg said:
    This is great news for Freesat what a strong year its been, TV player is a great add on I also heard strong rumours early this afternoon that Sony Channel will soon be joining Freesat I now believe that any channels is now possible after the strong year we have had.

    This is great news. And tvplayer have done a good thing here cos I’ve subscribed today and I’m watching only fools lol again.

    Never heard Sony channel is coming I do hope so though.

  10. This is my second time on Freesat, last time got tempted back to Sky won’t be happening this time. Sony channel and Eden would be great additions. And more of them in HD.

  11. its got me thinking of cancelling the talktalk tv and going with these guys as I have only the sky package of tv channels for which I’m pretty sure I’m paying more!

  12. I subscribe at work and get home ready to give only fools and horses a go and find out that GOLD is not available on the tv player why ???

  13. Gregg said:
    This is great news for Freesat what a strong year its been, TV player is a great add on I also heard strong rumours early this afternoon that Sony Channel will soon be joining Freesat I now believe that any channels is now possible after the strong year we have had.

    Sony TV (Entertainment) and Sony Movies (as per the Freeview channel) are the remaining two channels which are prominent FTV satellite channels and not on Freesat, Sony Movies being the last major Freeview channel not on Freesat. I’m very much sure this will change in time when contractual constraints permit.

  14. I’ve been using TVPlayer plus on several devices for over 6 months now, it gives me a lot of my favourite programmes for what I think is a quite reasonable price, well done Freesat and TVPlayer plus!!

  15. Very strange. Now that freesat has acquired true parity with freeview with channel offerings it seems the new war cry is for more pay TV apps?
    Amazon at 7 quid, Netflix at 8 quid, TV player at 6 quid ,Now TV entertainment at 7 quid, Sky movies at 10 quid,sky sports at 30 quid.
    Well that’s around 70 notes a month. Before anyone states the obvious that these services are optional add ons consider this. All modern TVs have the aforementioned apps,so what’s the real benefit to freesat unless you have a non smart TV. Secondly freesat has always sold itself as the subscription free alternative to Sky. It’s pointless complaining about HD channels been behind sky’s paywall if you pay for Netflix ,Amazon etc. There is no halfway house. Your either for or against pay TV in any form whatsoever. It’s sad to see freesat been diluted by these pay TV services and even sadder to see comments from those who regularly attack sky wetting themselves with excitement over freesat adding pay TV to its devices. Go figure.

  16. As a former Sky employee after losing my job, Sky are losing tons of money everyday so its no wonder channels are leaving them to go else where.

    Sky don’t won’t to lose their customers so they will do anything to keep them even if it means conning them. They are getting worried cause they know that Free-to air channels are becoming more popular and Virgin Media becoming a bigger company than them. So i do expect more and more channels such as Sony Movies, Eden and Good Food to join soon.

    The rumours were true about Sony Movies joining Freesat in 2018 but Sky has made a new deal to keep it behind a paywall and part of the sky package.

  17. Josh said:
    As a former Sky employee after losing my job, Sky are losing tons of money everyday so its no wonder channels are leaving them to go else where.
    Sky don’t won’t to lose their customers so they will do anything to keep them even if it means conning them. They are getting worried cause they know that Free-to air channels are becoming more popular and Virgin Media becoming a bigger company than them. So i do expect more and more channels such as Sony Movies, Eden and Good Food to join soon.
    The rumours were true about Sony Movies joining Freesat in 2018 but Sky has made a new deal to keep it behind a paywall and part of the sky package.

    Oh dear lost your free sky TV along with your job,sour grapes are very bitter my friend.
    FTA has never been a threat to sky, neither has virgin or bt. The threat is from streaming and there no contract model. Sky needs to be more flexible to prevent a hemorrhage of customers. But that said it’s unlikely that the majority of pay TV channels will go FTA,to much money to be lost and not enough to be gained by advert revenue only. I expect many channels to simply close over the next decade,with content been pushed to streaming services instead. As the current young generation become thirty something’s linear TV will be just a story to entertain the grandkids with. All linear TV platforms are doomed in the long term. Nothing sky ,freesat or freeview can do will change that.

  18. Tv player have confirmed on tv player support that there gonna add gold and W soon. I’m just not sure how soon is soon lol.

  19. Josh #21

    Sony Movies has never been a pay channel on Satellite, it’s FTV so “soft Encrypted” – Sky don’t pay them a penny for carrying the channel.

  20. Gregg said:
    I agree with Neil on that one Josh about Sony Movies, Sky don’t pay them at all.

    There’s a lot of people who know rumours about this and rumours about that which have to be taken with a pinch of salt as these things, if true, are commercially confidential and a Sky employee would be the last to know prior to it actually happening!

  21. I have asked Sony Movies via their Twitter account and they say that they have no plans to launch on Freesat. Disappointing.

  22. Craig said:
    I have asked Sony Movies via their Twitter account and they say that they have noplans to launch on Freesat. Disappointing.

    Their PR team who manage social media will be the last to know! Don’t take that response literally.

  23. Ian Vallender said:
    its got me thinking of cancelling the talktalk tv and going with these guys as I have only the sky package of tv channels for which I’m pretty sure I’m paying more!

    done that talk talk tvs cancelled now all we need is TVPlayer to ad the uktv paytv channels W, Gold, Alibi, Good food and eden to the package!

  24. Ian Vallender said: done that talk talk tvs cancelled now all we need is TVPlayer to ad the uktv paytv channels W, Gold, Alibi, Good food and eden to the package!

    Since when did a forum dedicated to discussing FTA Satellite become a forum to cheer on pay tv packages. Seems the point of join FREEsat has been lost. Instead of going “WHOOP” over tv player how about keeping on topic and discussing how to grow freesat as a platform for the best FTA tv experience?

  25. Jacck said: Since when did a forum dedicated to discussing FTA Satellite become a forum to cheer on pay tv packages. Seems the point of join FREEsat has been lost. Instead of going “WHOOP” over tv player how about keeping on topic and discussing how to grow freesat as a platform for the best FTA tv experience?

    Well the purpose of the website has always been to announce and discuss anything related to Freesat, the brand and platform. So it stands to reason that if Freesat launch products and services, they will be discussed, whether you subscribe to the pay ethos or not.

    You’ll see this happening more often now (not just Freesat), as platforms and services look to offer a tailored solution to suit their consumers, rather than the current ‘have to buy it all’ you get from Sky.

    Pay broadcasters are actively looking at platforms to place their channels on in a ‘pick and mix’ style, now that Internet based television is so common compared to the restricted encryption that comes from satellite.

    You find eventually that Freesat, as with Freeview and others will become primarily a ‘smart device’ provider like Amazon Fire or Google Chromecast with satellite (or aerial) as an add-on.

  26. admin said: You find eventually that Freesat, as with Freeview and others will become primarily a ‘smart device’ provider like Amazon Fire or Google Chromecast with satellite (or aerial) as an add-on.

    Considering that Freesat technology is always about 5 years behind everyone else, it will be a long time before this happens and others will have taken the market anyway. No multiroom, networked PVR – some of us have been waiting for that for many years. There is already a huge amount of streaming boxes, and it’s all built into TVs now anyway. What we’re talking about is Freesat jumping on the streaming subscription service bandwagon isn’t it, to please the pay TV operators, rather than listening to what people want out of Freesat.

  27. Why all the complaining? Virtually everything that was originally free to watch is still free and HD channels have been added over the years plus plenty of others!

    Any optional addition that has to be paid for is exactly that, optional.

    Enjoy what you have if you’re lucky enough to have enough free time to watch TV.

  28. Just took advantage of an offer £29.99 for the year. Its a shame a couple of the channels such as Gold and Good Food can only be watched via the website and not via your FreeSat box.

  29. Craig said:
    Just took advantage of an offer £29.99 for the year. Its a shame a couple of the channels such as Gold and Good Food can only be watched via the website and not via your FreeSat box.

    Ye I agree. I subscribed just for the free trial. But will not be using it anymore until they get GOLD channel at least

  30. For me it’s about convenience. How many people upgraded their arials In the past 25 to 30 years? Yet almost 70% of households have satellite dishes from the Sky TV boom of the 90s and 2000’s. I for one have had most streaming, pay TV platforms. For me having the convenience of a dish already on the wall at a hight (without climbing the roof) if there is an issue it’s easier to maintain plugs into a free per view receiver. Also as more streaming on demand services come in and everyone will use them eventually then freesat do need to support them, again you don’t need to subscribe to them. However fort me it’s convenience of not having 3 remotes for connecting to 3 different boxes for streaming services if it’s all in one box the better.

    I would like to see Amazon come to freesat as an App also 4K would be a consideration for the next generation of boxes or at least support it.

  31. I also took up a TV Player offer for the year at £36 and am happy with it especially as I can also use it on my Roku and Android devices, it’s a shame we can’t access UKTV content on on the Freesat and Roku platforms yet but at £36 for a full year across multiple device I consider it a bargain.
    I would like to see the UKTV Play app on Freesat, is there any news on that front admin ?
    I don’t understand the resentment towards TV Player as it’s a nice top up option, no more, no less ! If you don’t want to use it, don’t use it.
    Freesat has matured into a very good option and while I still feel a basic box for those on a restricted budget or not wanting / needing interactivity would be nice, it’s good to see that the extra features and recent channel additions are making it easier to justify the price jump from £50 to £100 to the customers for the most basic box you can buy.

Comments are closed.