Join Freesat


Jan 21 2015

Joinfreesat Update ScanLatest update scan on all Freesat receivers:

1 added – 152 Travel Channel+1
0 deleted
0 changed

18 Responses to “Update Scan – 21/01/15”

  1. Wouter Says:

    not excited, actually the whole development of freesat seems to have grind to a halt (from a consumer point of view).

    Little development on the hardware (freesat+HD) side of things for quite a long while
    No progress on new HD channels
    No progress on new quality channels (i.e. not +1 channels or shopping channels)

    I’m still on my old Humax Freesat box (the very first one), and the latest boxes still don’t add much added value. Freetime is about the only extra, and even that is not exciting given the plenty of only services directly on the smart tvs…

    sorry for sounding so negative, but I’m just not impressed by freesat development lately. The only good thing is that it works.

      Quote

  2. admin Says:

    What platform has made strides forward in recent months/year???

      Quote

  3. Dave W Says:

    I’d quite like to see more integrated VOD services, similar to Freeview’s Connected TV concept. I see that Planet Knowledge launched today, for example.

      Quote

  4. Wouter Says:

    @admin
    TVs have developed by becoming smart, integrate freesat/freeview, add netflix type of services, 4K, faster
    Sky has developed by adding more HD channels, and other premium channels
    Virgin Media (slowly) is also able to offer more HD channels (I realize through Sky)
    Even Freeview has more HD channels, including 4 seven and CH4 +1 HD (ok not really extra content)
    BT has created BT Sports

    there is little competition on top-end freesat set top boxes (HD+), and those boxes are slow and based on old technology

      Quote

  5. admin Says:

    Most of your examples however are based on pay-tv platform developments, which will always work at a much faster pace than the rest. Freesat’s progression can only be compared against Freeview, which was behind anyway, so had some catching up to do. Unfortunately Freesat will always be restricted by the very nature of it being satellite based, but the entire market is very stagnant right now.

      Quote

  6. Chris S. Says:

    Still waiting for the networked PVR, lol! One central recorder that can be accessed and controlled from clients in multiple rooms. Streaming around the home, of TV, recordings, other media, even games consoles, from within the home and over the internet, has now become mainstream. Freesat (and Freeview for that matter) seem to think that on-demand catch-up TV is the absolute pinnacle of today’s technology.

    Sat>IP is here but it’s very much a European thing as there are no servers that are Freesat-aware. Once a Freesat EPG is on one of these devices, it would open up a huge world of viewing Freesat on all sorts of devices – set top boxes at the TV, PCs, tablets, phones – incidentally this is stuff that Sky can do.

    There are plenty of channels now on Freesat, there’s more than enough choice, but more HD equivalents would be welcome, we probably don’t need any more “filler” channels.

      Quote

  7. Keith Cobby Says:

    I would personally be satisfied with a few more HD channels, particularly Film4 and ITV2/3/4. Now that I am mostly watching television through a projector I rarely stray from the HD section of my Manhattan Plaza.

      Quote

  8. Michael Says:

    Keith Cobby said:
    I would personally be satisfied with a few more HD channels, particularly Film4 and ITV2/3/4. Now that I am mostly watching television through a projector I rarely stray from the HD section of my Manhattan Plaza.

    Unlikely to see ITV2/3/4 as their sole purpose was to gain extra revenue for ITV by having them behind a paywall.

      Quote

  9. Robert H Says:

    Keith Cobby said:
    I would personally be satisfied with a few more HD channels, particularly Film4 and ITV2/3/4. Now that I am mostly watching television through a projector I rarely stray from the HD section of my Manhattan Plaza.

    Hi. Is that the Manhattan pvr? If so, is it worth taking a punt on? I’m considering my options. Thanks.

      Quote

  10. Anthony Says:

    Keith Cobby said:
    I would personally be satisfied with a few more HD channels, particularly Film4 and ITV2/3/4. Now that I am mostly watching television through a projector I rarely stray from the HD section of my Manhattan Plaza.

    ITV has come so far these days in that the old IBA model of advertising alone as income to make money for your service has long gone, and isn’t really enough to make on it’s own to money anymore so they (in their wisdom) have gone for a pay-tv firewall approach i.e Sky to make money on their HD channels 2/3 and 4 and Encore to supplement their income from ads.

    Advertising income alone these days doesn’t cut it for making money to run a tv channel.

    I think that argument though doesn’t really apply to Film4HD which I think SHOULD be free to air-the SD version is free to air so why shouldn’t the hi-def version be free to air as well instead of having Sky dictate terms and conditions to them? Astra 2 satellites @ 28.2 degrees East above Europe providing services for the United Kingdom and Ireland are run by SES Luxembourg NOT Sky, and Sky by rights SHOULDN’T have the wherewithal to dictate to broadcasters on that orbital position whether they encrypt or not or broadcast free-to-air, Sky only provide the EPG and encryption system NOT the satellites. If I was in charge of ITV, I would tell Sky where to stuff their pay-tv and ftv smartcard controlled firewall and go clear fta unencrypted on ALL of my services on the UK spotbeam. ITV has cried “wolf” because they were losing money-if they hadn’t squandered their money on pointless talent and reality shows i.e Britain’s NOT Got Talent and The Has-Been Factor etc, and didn’t spend on rubbish from America and other parts of the world ie the tackytelly Dinner Date Australia etc they wouldn’t be in a situation where they would need to close studios/sack hardworking staff/merge tv regions/cut back on regional programming and news and go behind a tv paywall to make money from a drama reruns channel and HD versions of itv2/itv3 and itv4.

      Quote

  11. Keith Cobby Says:

    Robert, I have had the Manhattan Plaza 500GB HDD since before Christmas. It works well through my projector (Optoma HD141X) in particular HD channels look superb. Simple recording and library functions. The only snag I have found is if you fast forward and backwards too much it takes time to catch up. I have nothing to compare it with but very pleased with it overall.

      Quote

  12. Neil Says:

    Anthony said: ITV has come so far these days in that the old IBA model of advertising alone as income to make money for your service has long gone, and isn’t really enough to make on it’s own to money anymore so they (in their wisdom) have gone for a pay-tv firewall approach i.e Sky to make money on their HD channels 2/3 and 4 and Encore to supplement their income from ads.
    Advertising income alone these days doesn’t cut it for making money to run a tv channel.
    I think that argument though doesn’t really apply to Film4HD which I think SHOULD be free to air-the SD version is free to air so why shouldn’t the hi-def version be free to air as well instead of having Sky dictate terms and conditions to them? Astra 2 satellites @ 28.2 degrees East above Europe providing services for the United Kingdom and Ireland are run by SES Luxembourg NOT Sky, and Sky by rights SHOULDN’T have the wherewithal to dictate to broadcasters on that orbital position whether they encrypt or not or broadcast free-to-air, Sky only provide the EPG and encryption system NOT the satellites. If I was in charge of ITV, I would tell Sky where to stuff their pay-tv and ftv smartcard controlled firewall and go clear fta unencrypted on ALL of my services on the UK spotbeam. ITV has cried “wolf” because they were losing money-if they hadn’t squandered their money on pointless talent and reality shows i.e Britain’s NOT Got Talent and The Has-Been Factor etc, and didn’t spend on rubbish from America and other parts of the world ie the tackytelly Dinner Date Australia etc they wouldn’t be in a situation where they would need to close studios/sack hardworking staff/merge tv regions/cut back on regional programming and news and go behind a tv paywall to make money from a drama reruns channel and HD versions of itv2/itv3 and itv4.

    I don’t think the pay venture for ITV has actually netted them the money they were hoping for, although it has brought in some income. There are other avenues of ‘pay TV’ other than over-air; for example they could sell programmes after a certain date, or in ‘series box sets’ via ITV Player together with the extra advertising opportunities that offers.

    ITV certainly aren’t going ‘bust’ and your right that they’ve cried wolf. I doubt though in the short to medium term if ITV’s other HD services will go FTA although longer term once, or if, 4K takes off then HD will be spun off by Sky as old hat and they’ll be pushing 4K subscriptions!!

    In terms of C4, being government owned and commercially run, I do agree to some degree that all their other spin-off channels should be available in HD when finances can permit this as Channel 4 is a not a privately owned company (not yet anyway). I’m not sure why C4+1 HD and 4Seven HD haven’t appeared on DSAT yet but there must be good reason and it’s only good news they’ve not gone straight behind Sky’s paywall on DSAT with these as I’m sure the Sky Osterley HQ’s Cheque Book was open at a page ready to fill out a cheque to them!

    As Admin says, all the platforms have stagnated, in terms of Freesat channel additions there’s not really much left on DSAT FTA that is worthy of addition anyway. Astra 2G does hold some hope that, with added spot capacity, we may see some FTV services go FTA and join (ie Sony TV, Sony Movies and LTV channels).

      Quote

  13. Keith Cobby Says:

    I would expect ITV2/3/4’s share of audience through Sky would be small given that they are competing with many other Sky channels. If they broadcast in HD on Freesat/Freeview they would have a much bigger audience and consequently advertising revenue.

      Quote

  14. Neil Says:

    Keith Cobby said:
    I would expect ITV2/3/4’s share of audience through Sky would be small given that they are competing with many other Sky channels. If they broadcast in HD on Freesat/Freeview they would have a much bigger audience and consequently advertising revenue.

    I agree but only if an LCN swap is done on each platform. Currently Freeview don’t permit HD channels to swap with their SD counterparts. Another positive tick in the box for Freesat.

      Quote

  15. Michael Says:

    Keith Cobby said:
    I would expect ITV2/3/4’s share of audience through Sky would be small given that they are competing with many other Sky channels. If they broadcast in HD on Freesat/Freeview they would have a much bigger audience and consequently advertising revenue.

    What makes you think they’ll get any more advertising revenue than they already get?

      Quote

  16. Kimbo Says:

    Chris S. said:
    Still waiting for the networked PVR, lol!One central recorder that can be accessed and controlled from clients in multiple rooms. Streaming around the home, of TV, recordings, other media, even games consoles, from within the home and over the internet, has now become mainstream. Freesat (and Freeview for that matter) seem to think that on-demand catch-up TV is the absolute pinnacle of today’s technology.
    Sat>IP is here but it’s very much a European thing as there are no servers that are Freesat-aware. Once a Freesat EPG is on one of these devices, it would open up a huge world of viewing Freesat on all sorts of devices – set top boxes at the TV, PCs, tablets, phones – incidentally this is stuff that Sky can do.
    There are plenty of channels now on Freesat, there’s more than enough choice, but more HD equivalents would be welcome, we probably don’t need any more “filler” channels.

    The Foxsat HDR with custom firmware is able to stream content to any client media player over WiFi or ethernet, I can watch recorded content or the current stream on my phone, tablet, laptop, smart TV or android TV box, even at remote locations, program recordings and manage the content via telnet.
    Good enough for me. 😉

      Quote

  17. John O Brien Says:

    I would like to see more movie channels please

      Quote

  18. Steven Says:

    Is there any free way to watch UK TV on my computer in Paris?

      Quote

Leave a Reply

Freesat RSS Feed Want the latest Freesat news?
You should subscribe to our RSS Feed, as you'll get all the latest Freesat news, reviews and information!