Join Freesat


Oct 28 2013

Joinfreesat Update ScanLatest update scan on all Freesat receivers:

1 added – 512 NOW Music
0 deleted –
0 changed –

67 Responses to “Update Scan – 28/10/13”

  1. Neil Says:

    Another good addition to bolster Freesat’s selection of music channels. 4music may also be not too far away too.

      Quote

  2. Keith Cobby Says:

    Been a quiet year on the HD front.

      Quote

  3. soldierboy001 Says:

    Neil said:
    Another good addition to bolster Freesat’s selection of music channels. 4music may also be not too far away too.

    OK for music lovers but what about TV content lovers! Not a lot happening for them, would like that Freesat could mirror Freeview as it was set up to allow none terrestrial signals to reach other parts that other signals could not reach.

      Quote

  4. Terry Says:

    Freesat will include (almost) any channel that wants to pay the EPG fees. Simple as that.
    What channels it provides is determined by the broadcasters, not Freesat.

      Quote

  5. martin Says:

    Terry said:
    Freesat will include (almost) any channel that wants to pay the EPG fees. Simple as that.
    What channels it provides is determined by the broadcasters, not Freesat.

    true but frustratin shoping channels adult channels music channels even american channels have paid to be on there but a british channel cant or wont support freesat

      Quote

  6. Mike1099 Says:

    You cannot expect more UK channel to support this platform when the owners BBC/ITV do not fully support it ITV 2 3 4 HD are on sky and BBC part owner of UKTV has still not put one of it’s channel on freesat yet they are all on sky and some others on freeview.

      Quote

  7. Paul Says:

    @6 – on the other hand, we got Red Button HD as a selectable channel whereas Sky subscribers didn’t. It’s an economic decision, not an emotional one.

      Quote

  8. Michael Says:

    Mike1099 said:
    You cannot expect more UK channel to support this platform when the owners BBC/ITV do not fully support it ITV 2 3 4 HD are on sky and BBC part owner of UKTV has still not put one of it’s channel on freesatyet they are all on sky and some others on freeview.

    Yeah and all of those are part of subscription packages on Sky for a reason which is to bring in revenue.

      Quote

  9. Neil Says:

    soldierboy001 said: OK for music lovers but what about TV content lovers! Not a lot happening for them, would like that Freesat could mirror Freeview as it was set up to allow none terrestrial signals to reach other parts that other signals could not reach.

    I was being upbeat here! I agree TV content is more important than music for most but this is a new channel addition nonetheless which adds to the platform in terms of total channels available. When 4music appears you’ll be glad to know it will not only add music but content too as they show some Channel 4 repeats.

    Keith Cobby said:
    Been a quiet year on the HD front.

    Watch this space – some new HD channels coming soon we all know about and potentially some we don’t :)

      Quote

  10. Saltydawg Says:

    Enlighten us then Neil, I’m not aware of any HD channels coming to Freesat

      Quote

  11. Neil Says:

    Saltydawg said:
    Enlighten us then Neil, I’m not aware of any HD channels coming to Freesat

    BBC Three HD, Four HD, News HD, CBBC HD and Cbeebies HD which in itself will be a big platform boost.

      Quote

  12. Richard Says:

    Neil said: BBC Three HD, Four HD, News HD, CBBC HD and Cbeebies HD which in itself will be a big platform boost.

    UTV HD starts next Monday for people using Northern Ireland post codes.

      Quote

  13. Richard Says:

    How can Sly charge for UKTV on sat that is FTV on Freeview. If they do OfCon should put a stop to it then there would be no reason not to be on Freesat.

      Quote

  14. Neil Says:

    Richard said: UTV HD starts next Monday for people using Northern Ireland post codes.

    Oh yes, I forgot about that. Most Eire viewers with Freesat kit also use Northern Ireland postcodes so they’ll get it too.

      Quote

  15. Michael Says:

    Richard said:
    How can Sly charge for UKTV on sat that is FTV on Freeview. If they do OfCon should put a stop to it then there would be no reason not to be on Freesat.

    What you should be asking is why do UKTV charge to view their channels on satellite when they’re free on Freeview.
    Even if these channels were free to air, still doesn’t necessarily mean they would appear on freesat as UKTV would still need to pay for a a lot on the freesat EPG.

      Quote

  16. admin Says:

    Neil Clark said:
    admin: posting times are still in BST by the looks of things.

    Thanks mate, resolved!

      Quote

  17. Shane Says:

    Channel 5 HD from today now part of Sky Entertainment extra subscription plan. No Longer free to view. So looks like it will a long time before we ever see it go Free to Air.

      Quote

  18. admin Says:

    Shane said:
    Channel 5 HD from today now part of Sky Entertainment extra subscription plan. No Longer free to view. So looks like it will a long time before we ever see it go Free to Air.

    That is really disappointing to hear; absolutely madness on their part!

      Quote

  19. Neil Says:

    admin: posting times are still in BST by the looks of things.

      Quote

  20. Neil Says:

    Shane said: Channel 5 HD from today now part of Sky Entertainment extra subscription plan. No Longer free to view. So looks like it will a long time before we ever see it go Free to Air.

    I guess it goes along the lines that:

    A: C5 wanted either to get out of the contract and Sky had to up their deal, making it part of EE+ would make it pay for Sky

    B: Sky said they weren’t to support C5HD any longer unless it went behind a paywall

    or

    C: C5 have been rather miffed that the BBC and DMOL have told them tough, you’ve lost LCN105 on DTT so C5 said “up yours” and got deeper in bed with Sky

    Either way, as admin says, this is madness on C5′s part. The HD landscape will be different in to the new year with almost all BBC services in HD and possibly others too. Once Ofcom make HD fall under PSB guidelines, although not expected for a few years, they’ll be forced to make it FTA.

    Guess this is another nail in the coffin for “Freesat from Sky”, time for those then to upgrade to a Freesat PVR as the jewel in it’s crown – C5HD – is no longer FTV :)

      Quote

  21. Richard Says:

    “Guess this is another nail in the coffin for “Freesat from Sky”, time for those then to upgrade to a Freesat PVR as the jewel in it’s crown – C5HD – is no longer FTV ”
    In a funny sort of way it’s good news for Freesat then. How much native HD is there on 5HD. It can’t be that much.
    5 will look really cheap next year :D

      Quote

  22. mike65 Says:

    Neil said: Oh yes, I forgot about that. Most Eire viewers with Freesat kit also use Northern Ireland postcodes so they’ll get it too.

    Not if they have any sense (like me)! UTV and indeed BBC NI are both well worth steering clear of unless you enjoy watching programmes in the wrong time slots or not at all.

      Quote

  23. Neil Says:

    Richard said:
    “Guess this is another nail in the coffin for “Freesat from Sky”, time for those then to upgrade to a Freesat PVR as the jewel in it’s crown – C5HD – is no longer FTV ”
    In a funny sort of way it’s good news for Freesat then. How much native HD is there on 5HD. It can’t be that much.
    5 will look really cheap next year

    There’s quite a bit more native HD on C5HD than their used to be, still not the same quota as the other four PSB’s which pretty much are all native HD now. I think ‘This Morning’ on ITV is the remaining ITV programme in SD, C4 News is still SD too.

    Sky were once interested in buying C5 and if they had guess we’d have only ever still seen C5 (SD) on Freesat, this situation with the HD version was what I’d have predicted too, looks like even Northern & Shell have ended up in the same position!

      Quote

  24. martin Says:

    What I cant understand is that sly put pick and challenge and thire news channel eventionaly on to freesat so dont think they see freesat as a threat they still at the top of their game cos they are a pay tv service freesat is just that free

      Quote

  25. Richard Says:

    martin said:
    What I cant understand is that sly put pick and challenge and thire news channel eventionaly on to freesat so dont think they see freesat as a threat they still at the top of their game cos they are a pay tv service freesat is just that free

    They did that to get BBC iPlayer allegedly.

      Quote

  26. Neil Says:

    Richard said: They did that to get BBC iPlayer allegedly.

    That’s what I heard too. I think it was a joint deal proposed by ITV and the BBC for both their catch-up services on Sky seen as both parties own 50/50 shares of Freesat. I’d have hoped that they’d pushed Sky harder to get timeshift versions of Pick and Challenge but can’t complain at what we have!

      Quote

  27. Matthew Says:

    @Mike1099

    It’s only a matter of time before the UKTV channels filter down to Freesat.

      Quote

  28. Neil Says:

    Matthew said:
    @Mike1099
    It’s only a matter of time before the UKTV channels filter down to Freesat.

    I’d like to think likewise considering the BBC’s support of Freesat and also joint ownership of UKTV. Like most things in this industry, nobody will know until one day they will just go FTA, as like the Box TV channels did which nobody saw coming.

    I wonder whether 2E will take over the existing 2A allocations (as well as 1N) when it goes in service next Month? If so the beams are all wide/narrow switchable on the new craft and thus UKTV’s two TP’s could then go spotbeam at minimal cost to them.

    I still think it’s very odd how the new Freesat ads are on UKTV channels, something shared with others here too. Saying that, a lot of the music channels who take ads sold by a sales house on their behalf (Chart Show, Clubland, Now Music to name a few) keep showing ads for youview despite the fact all those channels aren’t actually available on the platform!!

      Quote

  29. Neil Says:

    Looks like there’s a few angry people on Sky’s CS forums, some of which have already discussed the option of now buying Freesat PVR’s like this character:

    “Hello again, well looking at all the comments just shows how many people hate being ripped off, no warning at all. WELL I went looking at freesat+ and you get loads of stuff and pause rewind so buying 2 freesat+ boxes and can use sky dish. O and cancelling sky package saving over £30 and also two members of family have cancelled last night as well cause prices going up and not getting anything extra. Sorry SKY but your upsetting customers”.

      Quote

  30. Richard Says:

    Neil said:
    Looks like there’s a few angry people on Sky’s CS forums, some of which have already discussed the option of now buying Freesat PVR’s like this character:
    “Hello again, well looking at all the comments just shows how many people hate being ripped off, no warning at all. WELL I went looking at freesat+ and you get loads of stuff and pause rewind so buying 2 freesat+ boxes and can use sky dish. O and cancelling sky package saving over £30 and also two members of family have cancelled last night as well cause prices going up and not getting anything extra. Sorry SKY but your upsetting customers”.

    sorry Now Don’t watch any muzak channels. That’s not what I call music :D
    Got no idea what Sky (Sly) CS is. Could someone enlighten me please.
    So called HD should be standard as 4K HD is coming.

      Quote

  31. Paul Says:

    Customer Service, I’d imagine.

      Quote

  32. Richard Says:

    Paul said:
    Customer Service, I’d imagine.

    I thought CS was tear gas. Mind you I would be in tears if I was paying for Sky for anything.

      Quote

  33. Richard Says:

    There is a new channel staring on Sky soon, advertising on Pick, so they are getting something extra for the extra dosh not that I would pay for that.People should know by now that the subs normally go up every year to pay for the billions they pay for the sport and movies etc.

      Quote

  34. Matthew Says:

    @Richard

    It’s called Lifetime and is launching November 4th, Sky have an exclusive grab on the HD version, while the SD edition will be on both Virgin and Sky.

    Not sure how long it’ll remain behind a paywall but its the UK edition of an American channel so chances are it may not ever appear on Freesat.

    Will have to wait and see the viewer figures.

      Quote

  35. Matthew Says:

    @Neil

    I think the UKTV channels appearing on Freesat, even if its a slow, pain staking process will make more people switch to Freesat, besides the Sky, Discovery, premium Kids channels, and a few random stuff, there’s not much there to warrant a monthly fee if it happened.

      Quote

  36. Richardr Says:

    Given that UKTV just announced an multi-year extension of their deals with Sky::

    http://corporate.uktv.co.uk/news/article/sky-extends-uktv-services/

    I wouldn’t expect any change.

      Quote

  37. Matthew Says:

    Never say never I say. Most of the UKTV channels are popular enough that they could launch on Freesat and still command a fee off Sky or anyone wishing to carry.

      Quote

  38. Neil Says:

    Richardr said:
    Given that UKTV just announced an multi-year extension of their deals with Sky::
    http://corporate.uktv.co.uk/news/article/sky-extends-uktv-services/
    I wouldn’t expect any change.

    That press release makes interesting reading, there’s no date on it but must be fairly recent? It is geared around UKTV’s services being made available on Sky’s On Demand platform. I wonder if a deal was thrashed to keep incoming pay revenue for (potential) FTA transmission of their DTT FTA channels in return for all their services being available on Sky Go/On Demand? Either that or some sort of ‘Gentleman’s Agreement’ just as the BBC/ITV got for Pick, Challenge and Sly News on FS in return for ITV and BBC iPlayer. I reckon the Box TV services all going FTA was tied in to a Channel 4 Sky On Demand/Sky Go deal too but of course nobody knows for real!

    Read this paragraph:

    “The new multi-platform agreement further expands UKTV’s footprint in the British broadcasting market, which currently sees the network reach over 42 million viewers a month. In addition to the continued availability of popular Pay exclusive channels Gold, Watch, Alibi, Dave HD, Good Food, Eden and Home, UKTV content will be available through catch-up, on demand, on the go, and, where available, in High Definition”.

    ** ‘Pay exclusive channels’ – no mention of Drama, Really, Yesterday and Dave (SD) in that.

    … then this:

    UKTV’s free-to-air channels, including Dave, Drama, Really and Yesterday continue to be available to Sky customers.

    ** FTA – Sky Customers??

    … and this in the “About UKTV” footnote:

    “UKTV’s ten imaginative channel brands – Watch, Dave, Gold, Alibi, Eden, Yesterday, Drama, Really, Home and Good Food – include the number one channel in the Factual genre, the number one channel in the Lifestyle genre (pay and free) and the most famous channel and programmes in the Entertainment genre.”

    ** – ‘Entertainment’, ‘Lifestyle’ and ‘Factual’ relate to Sky’s EPG; there’s no such separation on Freeview and that’s the current only place you’ll find any “free” UKTV channels! Note too they refer to ‘pay and free’ after the Lifestyle genre as all UKTV’s factual genre channels are pay exclusive.

    Make of all my comments and observations what you like but it raises a few eyebrows for me.

      Quote

  39. martin Says:

    Dont see anything positive about that other than uktv geting even deeper into bed with sky its the final nail in the coffin for any chance of them going to freesat I think thats the last we will hear of uktv in the coming months for a freesat launch

      Quote

  40. Neil Says:

    The problem is that nobody will know if any plans are afoot until something, if anything, happens. I just find it hard to believe in the long term that as the BBC and now Scripps, one who half owns the platform and the other who’s own wholly owned channels are on it, would simply ignore Freesat as a platform. It also seems Sky are more keen on the ‘pay exclusive’ services in that press release but, like you say, it is open to different interpretation.

    I once heard a rumour that it was Virgin Media at the time who didn’t support the FTA model and that all UKTV services were tied up in contracts until 2014 anyway. I’d have guessed with this deal contracts will have been tweaked but for what nobody knows? If they’ve signed the next five years of their life away to Sky then more fool the BBC, robbing Peter to pay Paul!

      Quote

  41. Paul Says:

    Neil said:
    … then this:
    UKTV’s free-to-air channels, including Dave, Drama, Really and Yesterday continue to be available to Sky customers.
    ** FTA – Sky Customers??
    … [snip] …
    Make of all my comments and observations what you like but it raises a few eyebrows for me.

    They are FTA on Freeview. It’s PR blather and not a technical spec.

      Quote

  42. Richard Says:

    Going to have to send my Humax HB-1000S back. Today it crashed after only 17minutes of watching HD telly (BBC1).

      Quote

  43. Michael Says:

    Richard said:
    Going to have to send my Humax HB-1000S back. Today it crashed after only 17minutes of watching HD telly (BBC1).

    Have you tried the usual things like making sure it’s got latest software and factory reset first to see if it resolves any issues?

      Quote

  44. Richard Says:

    Michael said: Have you tried the usual things like making sure it’s got latest software and factory reset first to see if it resolves any issues?

    Yup tried everything. Humax have no knowledge of the issue apparently. The last thing I tried was removing the USB pen drive which I had on an extension lead and i’m still testing since yesterday. Trouble is the crashing is very random ,can happen after 16 minutes or be ok for 2 days. Satbuyer had arranged to collect the box on Monday but I have e mailed them this morning putting that on hold pending my tests.

      Quote

  45. Tim Says:

    martin in post #39 above is perfectly correct. UKTV are in bed and are in a fully committed (financial) relationship with Sky. Therefore, there’s no point wishing for something that is clearly not going to happen.

    As things currently stand, there are interesting documentaries and programmes to be found on Travel Channel and Community Channel and I’m sure that Freesat will be able to recruit more free to air and free to view (a dying format now) channels in due course plus there’s the new BBC HD channels to look forward to.

    Incidentally, all the upset caused to Sky’s freesat from Sky, Entertainment pack and Entertainment Extra pack viewers by the decision to remove C5 HD from them will probably generate some new recruits for Freesat and that’s no bad thing.

      Quote

  46. Matthew Says:

    @UKTV are in bed and are in a fully committed (financial) relationship with Sky

    I’m not so sure. The channels have lost value anyway, and it seems to me they’re trying to make up the shortfall. Besides the HD editions, every UKTV channel is available to all packages on Virgin Media(M+, L, XL) which includes the + 1 channels too.

    I take the view that the channels might not appear all at once on Freesat but will likely filter out 1 by 1 over a long period.

      Quote

  47. martin Says:

    Sorry going off topic but havent seen the new freesat add on any channel since it launched freesat really need to look in to how they spend money on add campaigns as iv not seen them on any channels they either got money to waste whats going on with them

      Quote

  48. Richard Says:

    Richard said: Yup tried everything. Humax have no knowledge of the issue apparently. The last thing I tried was removing the USB pen drive which I had on an extension lead and i’m still testing since yesterday. Trouble is the crashing is very random ,can happen after 16 minutes or be ok for 2 days. Satbuyer had arranged to collect the box on Monday but I have e mailed them this morning putting that on hold pending my tests.

    Box crashed twice over a 7hr period yesterday once when using the main menu and once while watching TV.

      Quote

  49. Richard Says:

    UTV HD starts today for those using Northern Ireland post code. Still no STV HD unless you use non Freesat mode.

      Quote

  50. Richard Says:

    Richard said:
    UTV HD starts today for those using Northern Ireland post code. Still no STV HD unless you use non Freesat mode.

    It’s on now in non Freesat mode labelled UTV HD with now and next prog info.
    Can anyone confirm it’s on Freesat.

      Quote

  51. alan macdonald Says:

    wanting to add utv hd to my non freesat channels anyone know the frequency ?

      Quote

  52. Richard Says:

    Try 11053 H 22000 Fec 5/6. Astra F TR63

      Quote

  53. alan macdonald Says:

    got it now, cheers Richard :-)

      Quote

  54. Dave Says:

    Hi admin please can you help any news on NETFLIX …

    And I promis to stop mentioning uktv ..

      Quote

  55. admin Says:

    Nothing on Netflix sorry, that rumour now seems to be unfounded for the time being anyway.

      Quote

  56. Neil Says:

    Are we not having an update scan post admin to celebrate NI viewers with their 6th HD channel?

      Quote

  57. Richard Says:

    Neil said:
    Are we not having an update scan post admin to celebrate NI viewers with their 6th HD channel?

    Can you confirm it’s on Freesat?

      Quote

  58. Neil Says:

    Richard said: Can you confirm it’s on Freesat?

    Just whacked a Belfast postcode in my Foxsat HD and confirmed it’s now definitely there!

      Quote

  59. Richard Says:

    Neil said: Just whacked a Belfast postcode in my Foxsat HD and confirmed it’s now definitely there!

    Very good. Now we need STV HD. Not good enough not being on Freesat. Why make us wait till next April (rumoured).

      Quote

  60. Neil Says:

    Richard said: Very good. Now we need STV HD.Not good enough not being on Freesat. Why make us wait till next April (rumoured).

    I agree, there’s obviously some politics going on! April has sort of been confirmed by STV in a tweet too.

      Quote

  61. Dave Says:

    Hi admin and everyone ..

    Just seen a freesat advert in the what’s on tv magazine :-)
    This is the first time I have seen freesat advertise in tv magazines maybe get more customers coming to joinfreesat before Christmas …

      Quote

  62. Jorge Says:

    Off topic – but with AMC Networks now acquiring Chellomedia what is the future for CBS Action, CBS Drama, CBS Reality, and the Horror Channel? Will they stay FTA or go pay? I’d personally hope they stay FTA but you can never tell when it has a new owner.

      Quote

  63. martin Says:

    Just gone back to youviwe now got more on demand than freetime if cbs action and the rest go pay it will spell the end for freesat not much on it now in terms of content we need more british brocasters bring in british showes I know we got the itv bbc chanel 4 and 5 but so has every platform

      Quote

  64. Matthew Says:

    Pretty sure the CBS channels will never go behind a paywall, they would have nothing to gain by doing so. They’re already FTA on Sky and Freesat etc. And they don’t make much if anything off Virgin.

    They would literally have to rename and invest in the channels to make them worthwhile to go back behind a paywall to operators.

      Quote

  65. Matthew Says:

    Anyway, looks like Lifetime won’t be joining freesat. It replaced the Bio stream on Sky/Virgin Media(They shut Bio down to launch it). And it being a joint partnership between Sky and A+E networks, very unlikely to change. It’s also in the XL package on Virgin Media.

      Quote

  66. Neil Says:

    Matthew said:
    Anyway, looks like Lifetime won’t be joining freesat. It replaced the Bio stream on Sky/Virgin Media(They shut Bio down to launch it). And it being a joint partnership between Sky and A+E networks, very unlikely to change. It’s also in the XL package on Virgin Media.

    I never for a minute expected this channel would be FTA and join the platform – especially when the channel before it was pay. I don’t even know what it shows!

      Quote

  67. Anthony Says:

    NOW! Music is available all over Europe for free on Eurobird1 at 28.5degE! At last a music channel along with Vintage TV that doesn’t believe in borders for music broadcasting. That’s good.

      Quote

Leave a Reply

Freesat RSS Feed Want the latest Freesat news?
You should subscribe to our RSS Feed, as you'll get all the latest Freesat news, reviews and information!